Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero drop bars
Quote | Reply
I am interested in doing some time trials in whats called the "cannibal" class which i think means no aero or clip on bars everything you have must be UCI road race legal. I have a set of zipp 202 firecrest right now my question is would my bike benefit more from a deeper aero wheels or the newer more aero drop bars that are out such as the easton EA90 aero ?. I have heard that flatter drop bars with better cable routing would be a bigger improvement than adding inches to a decent profile rim such as the zipps.......thank you guys
Quote Reply
Re: Aero drop bars [bikeman12-1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bikeman12-1 wrote:
I am interested in doing some time trials in whats called the "cannibal" class which i think means no aero or clip on bars everything you have must be UCI road race legal. I have a set of zipp 202 firecrest right now my question is would my bike benefit more from a deeper aero wheels or the newer more aero drop bars that are out such as the easton EA90 aero ?. I have heard that flatter drop bars with better cable routing would be a bigger improvement than adding inches to a decent profile rim such as the zipps.......thank you guys

marginal gain from 202 to 404 for the front wheel per se is about the same as (or perhaps even less than) the marginal benefit from round cross-section bars to foil-shaped bars. Both are about 4-5 W at 25 mph (iirc). You can add another 2 watts or so for the rear wheel

The bars certainly are cheaper though. Make sure it is as clutter free as possible though.

The larger gain, however, may be better rolling tires, if you haven't already optimized that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually there is a depth limit on wheels in Merckx TT's. Might want to check that.

Already solid wheels, probably not tons to gain there (of course tire choice is paramount)

Bars kind of depend on how your current setup is but probably not "lots" of free speed. Maybe some gains from the aero sections (most cables are pretty hidden under tape anyways, but better routing could help) another place to look for some aero gains is in handlebar width. Going from "normal" men's bars (40-44cm) to something narrow (32-36cm) could have some gains for a TT as well.

Most important of all of course is nailing your position. Altering your position to make something like the "sphynx" position sustainable might be worth looking into for a TT.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Aero drop bars [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
running the GP4000 s2 with latex tubes right now but will upgrade when they wear out. right now I have the Profile Design 31.8 round bars as well as regular 4 bolt stem in about a -7........thanks for your time and advice
Last edited by: bikeman12-1: Jul 5, 19 11:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 3T aeronova bars are really aero and also great for the sphynx position.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero drop bars [fb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is IAB allowed if you can pull it off? I've heard folks say the Aeronova profile makes the IAB a little tougher than something like the Easton. Folks use skateboard grip tape on top of the bar in that area for grip on your forearms.

The Easton 70 and 90 are identical except carbon layup for weight. Pretty sure the Zipp is the same way.

Budget wise, I'm trying out some Planet X aero bars. They came in and the initial build quality seems awesome, I measured it, it fits the 3:1 ratio. I'm going to run it with an Aeria Ultimate stem I got really really cheap.

Otherwise, still run a skinsuit. If they won't let you do TT skinsuit, then do a cyclocross one or Castelli San Remo or something. Still run speedplays and laceup shoes with the Specialized lace covers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They just look fast as well
Quote Reply
Re: Aero drop bars [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will check into the Planet X bars
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a really impressive ride. Disc brakes and all.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/...ute-road-bike-425753
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second that. They are great to do so while feeling secure. I don't even use grip tape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another good thing about the aeronovas is that it's one of the (maybe only) aero drop bars that you can fit clip on extensions to.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero drop bars [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that bike looks awesome, its about as aero as a roadbike can get
Quote Reply
Re: Aero drop bars [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a photo or link to your Planet X bars ?
Quote Reply