Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do I need a wetsuit?
Quote | Reply
I'll be moving to the USA a month from now specifically in Burien Washington. How's the weather up there? Are wetsuits advised for open water races? I've personally never swam in cold waters.
Quote Reply
Re: Do I need a wetsuit? [jacobpeacock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It varies greatly. Water can be colder in the North, especially in early May or late September. I would imagine WA could get pretty cold. Ocean swims can also be colder, obviously. If you are planning on doing races throughout the season, I'd say yes, you'll need one. If only racing shorter distance fresh water in the summer (July/August), you could probably get away without one. I have a sprint next week in New England, 1/2 mile swim. Not planning on wearing my wetsuit, although many probably will for the obvious benefits. Too hot and too much of a bother (for me personally) for that distance. In 10 years of racing in New England, I have to yet to enter a race where they made suits illegal due to water temp. Good luck on your move!

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Do I need a wetsuit? [jacobpeacock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jacobpeacock wrote:
I'll be moving to the USA a month from now specifically in Burien Washington. How's the weather up there? Are wetsuits advised for open water races? I've personally never swam in cold waters.

Maybe figure out what races you are doing and see what the water temp has been the past few years
Quote Reply
Re: Do I need a wetsuit? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right now I think it's summer in the US. There's a race this August and they said water will probably be around 19. The usual water temp I swim when in open water is 28. So that's a pretty big gap. And if it's 19 in the summer, it'll probably be way colder in spring or winter. I'll probably get a budget suit for now. Maybe the blueseventy Sprint
Quote Reply