Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Diamox at sea level impairing performance?
Quote | Reply
38 year old female age group triathlete. Decent-to-good runner, for a 38 year old age group triathlete. I spent all last year injured so I've spent the past 6 months clawing my way back, and I've been happy with my progress. For a while now I've been consistently running tempo miles at a 7:13/mile pace. So somewhat challenging for me, but totally doable for long stretches.

I also have glaucoma, and it currently is not as controlled as my doctor or I would like. As I wait for her to return from vacation to do a laser procedure, she put me on 500 mg of Diamox 2x a day. This started last Tuesday (9 days ago) and since then my runs have gone to shit. I did my first run last Thursday, and I could barely hold the 7:13 for 2 12 minute sets. I did it, but I felt like I was going to die and I had to take a walk break in between. Similar issues for my run on Saturday and my brick on Sunday; I did it, but it felt so, so, so hard. Today was even worse. I gave myself a long warm up, but couldn't make it through my 30 min set and had to drop my pace twice, then take a walk break. I finally threw in the towel after 20-some minutes and ran out the rest at a super easy pace.

I am wracking my brain for why I suddenly cannot hold a pace I literally did the weekend before for 3 miles straight at the end of a 9 mile run. The only thing I can identify that has changed is the Diamox, but I don't know if I'm just making excuses and I should be looking at my training plan or nutrition or something else. I googled but most articles are about Diamox effect on performance at altitude, and I'm at sea level, so I thought I'd turn to the collective experience, knowledge and expertise of slowtwitch. Anyone else experience this or have any insight?? I know I can ask my doctor on Tuesday, but she's an ophthalmologist and doesn't know or care anything about endurance sports.
Quote Reply
Re: Diamox at sea level impairing performance? [bikecharm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you will find it's on the banned list. It promotes production of blood.
Useful at high altitudes for climbers and trekkers, but you will need a TUE (Therapeutic Drug Exemption )

cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Diamox at sea level impairing performance? [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply! I'm already on it; that came up in my googling. It's on the banned list because it is a "masking" agent for other prohibited substances. That doesn't really get me any closer to figuring out what's going on though. As an N=1, if I'm right that my current difficulties are from the Diamox, I can verify that it sure as shit isn't a performance enhancer at sea level.
Quote Reply
Re: Diamox at sea level impairing performance? [bikecharm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is a good time to remind people to just take what your body can give, go by feel, make the easy days easy and the hard days hard.

I say this because all you can do is all you can do. Eat well, hydrate, sleep well, follow your doctor's orders. Don't place so much value on what pace you hit today, just keep doing the work and let things come.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply