Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PSA: Boa is a cool company
Quote | Reply
My baby Weimaraner decided to chew on my road cycling shoes and chewed off one of the Boa caps before I discovered her doing it. Ten more minutes and she would have eaten the shoe, carbon and all most likely.

Anyway, I searched and found you can replace them but the LBS didn’t have any kits or anything like that.

So googled up Boa, they have a great tool where you put in your shoe manufacturer and they ask you various questions to get the exact kit you need.

At that point I was stoked thinking I can buy a kit and save the shoes but was worried about how they would deal with me living in Hong Kong. I get a lot of “why yes we will sell you some lock laces for 2 GBP but it will be 35 GBP shipping”.

Sorry for the essay but repair kits are free, shipping is free, i got the kit in 48 hours. Shoes restored.

Just thought I’d share because there are so many crappy companies i want to pimp one that is awesome
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Boa is a cool company [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes they are. I had the exact same reaction when I had to get some new dials due to a crash and found their replacement program.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree on their customer service... both my road and tri shoes have BOAs. I had a little worry about "what if" one fails... but turns out its not the end of the world. I had a failure on my tri shoe, went to their site, found the replacement and a few days later I've got one in hand for no cost to me.

Awesome and I was hesitant when buying shoes with BOAs... but I will actually look for them going forward on my cycling shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree. I have a very old pair of tri shoes with the boa on the back. The rubber was worn off and they were impossible to tighten with wet hands. They sent me some new wheels at no cost.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Boa is a cool company [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too- Boa is top notch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this brings up a question ive thought and wondered...

can you swap out the different boa dials? i have one pair of shoes that can ratchet back and forth to tighten / loosen, but others to loosen i have to pull the boa to completely disengage then retighten. i would love to "upgrade" all my shoes to the tighten / loosen type.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Boa is a cool company [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know for sure but doubt it because when you do the tool to find out what sort of boa dial you have it asks you if you can turn it backwards, and on mine you can’t, so I doubt you can mix and match.

I have the pop out type and it asks you if that’s what you have etc then it narrows it down but you don’t have the option to choose other ones.

Maybe email them?
Last edited by: Animalmom2: Jul 3, 19 6:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could not agree more. At Kona this year they had a tent by Lava Java and would customize your shoes for free. They did up one pair with red laces and black knobs to match my kit. Even better, they took the Kona knob off the Kienle New Balance 1500s that they released at the race and put it on the brand new LG tri shoes that I got at the expo. These are super dope and I am pretty sure one of one. The effort they put into this for me - for free- has me as a customer for life. To this point, I was about to buy the new Sidi wires that come in destroyer grey (dope!) but skipped them as they use their own proprietary system rather than BOA. I cannot say enough good things about them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This isn't being snarky, but could it be true that Boa freely sends out repair kits because they break so often and are so expensive up front?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Boa is a cool company [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah I don’t think so. Mine only broke because my puppy gnawed on it

I have 4 boas in my two shoes and the shoes are three years old and never had any problems.

Bottom line is things can break if you use them a lot. They could charge you 10 bucks for a kit and ten shipping and you would pay but they don’t.

System is great. Company is great. No I do t work for them :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of mine had become frayed. They sent me two sets because of the time it was going to take to get to NZ, so that I could swap the other one out too and not risk being unable to ride for a week or two waiting for delivery. So old ones are now emergency spares.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Was on a bike trip in Austria and they hosted us and showed us around their Europe HQ. passionate folks, super nice, and as my shoes wear out I am upgrading to those with Boa on them.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply