-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Running in Nairobi [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not familiar with other areas but Karura is worth a day trip, the eucalyptus smells are very refreshing when running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s been years since I was there and I was only in Nairobi for a few days. I just ran out my front door each morning with no issues. That said if you look east of that plot on the map there is a series of dirt roads and open space. I would run there in a heartbeat. Those roads will be used by busses but I’m sure it would be fine to run on. Smart to run in day light.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would feel pretty comfortable running anywhere in Nairobi. I found the city pretty safe overall. You just have to be smart about where you are running (don't run in the middle of traffic). We're talkiing Kenya + Running. If you're running in Kenya, then you are a random white guy visitor doing the national sport. You're probably golden. I stayed in the complex where the Trademark and Tribe hotels are (and a high end shopping mall in the middle) and it was near all the embassies, but I was all over the city on various meetings. I really wish I was back at running when I was in Nairobi, as I would have just loved to run in the streets. I've run in cities throughout Asia and elsewhere in Africa previously, so my standards on what is safe is low, but I am here and alive, so I would say if you are a man and can run reasonably (meaning you run fast enough that you can run away from people trying to do bad things to you if that was to happen), then you're golden. Generally I found that if you run with confidence and act like you know what you are doing then people just leave you alone.
Quote Reply