Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

exit bike fit -- need input on frame selection
Quote | Reply
Folks--

I had an Exit bike fit done last week and am wondering what the coordinates suggest would be an appropriate frame for me. I've ridden a Felt IA10 for the past few years and been happy with it but the fitter suggested a P3 or P5 would be better because it isn't as tall. I would prefer to stick with Felt if it works just as well as other options. What do you think based on the attached fit coordinates?

Saddle: JOF
Aerobar: T4
Arm rest width: 10
Saddle to armrest: 4
Extension length: 34
Nose to extension: 74
Saddle height: 76
Pad elevation: 5
HX or REACH: 420 (back at pad)
Setback/forward: +1.5
Unlabeled vertical measurement: 635

Stack: 505 (30mm spacers, 115-degree stem)
Reach: 420 (100m stem), back of pad to middle base bore 5cm)
Drop: 12 (back of saddle to middle aero pad)
Saddle tilt: 6 degree down
Pad tilt: 5 degree up

Thanks for the input!
Last edited by: mbende12: Jul 2, 19 6:33
Quote Reply
Re: exit bike fit -- need input on frame selection [mbende12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you paid for a bike fit (assuming by a qualified fitter) and now hope ST will validate your desire to ride the bike you want rather than what the fitter suggested would be better? Is this an independent fitter or are they a Cervelo dealer? I'm sure there are other options than just Cervelo that would be appropriate for your fit though.
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Jul 2, 19 7:07
Quote Reply
Re: exit bike fit -- need input on frame selection [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitch-trained fitter. Sells Argon-18, not Cervelo. That was his recommendation based on the coordinates. I ride bikes, don't know that much about fitting, sorry. He said Felt was a close second. I know there are a lot of message board users at ST with excellent insights on these topics and was hoping to gather those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming 635mm is the pad stack and the pad reach to the center of the pad is 470mm (420mm back of pad plus 50mm to center of pad) you would fit nicely on a 56cm IA with the integrated front end according to the Felt Fit Calculator. You could also fit on a 54cm IA but it would require a lot of spacers and the pads would need to be set too far forward.

Brian Jacobson
Fit2Ride Velo Studio
http://www.fit2ridevelo.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There seem to be some inconsistencies in the numbers of the two images you showed....

While he put the 420mm in the reach (to center of head tube) slot on the worksheet, apparently he meant it to be pad x but left that spot blank, as he labeled back of pad in both images.

But he shows 635mm stack (to top of head tube) and then on the back he says 505mm stack (he does not specify if that is actually stack this time, or if he means pad Y)???

He should be able to say, yes a Felt IA can get you in that position with these various options in setup or no it cannot. Just saying I like this bike best and this other bike 2nd best I'm not sure is useful.

Edit - Also, he says saddle height is 76? Does he mean seat tube angle?

Edit again - it seems he must be giving some measurements in mm and some in cm. But none are labeled. And since he is clearly putting some measurements in the wrong spots, leaving us to guess what he means, when you add in changing units without labeling....

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Jul 2, 19 13:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mbende12 wrote:
Slowtwitch-trained fitter. Sells Argon-18, not Cervelo. That was his recommendation based on the coordinates. I ride bikes, don't know that much about fitting, sorry. He said Felt was a close second. I know there are a lot of message board users at ST with excellent insights on these topics and was hoping to gather those.

Fair enough, particularly knowing that the fitter doesn't seem to have a reason to push Cervelo. I'd be curious to know why he said Felt was a "close second". It either fits your coordinates or it doesn't. Maybe the Felt wouldn't be preferred because you'd require a particularly tall stack of spacers or something?

Still, a good fitter should easily be able to give you multiple options that will work and tell you exactly what specifics you'd need for each. While this person may be qualified and your fit might results might be good, the lack of attention to detail evidenced by the mis-labeling and mixing of units noted above by RowToTri is a bit concerning. It doesn't quite measure up to what I would consider professional.
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Jul 3, 19 6:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a cervelo dealer nor am I a Felt dealer. Those two are in my opinion the best bikes for his coordinates with shops that are local to him. I would love to sell him an Argon 18 but the new 118 does not come out until fall and that would be the only reasonable upgrade to his current IA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the confusion, everything is cm except for the 420 pad reach and the 635 pad stack. The 76 is saddle height not angle. Sorry, my ADD gets the best of me when I enter data. Felt is certainly a close second with less spacers involved. I like the fit of a cervelo better since it seems more appropriate with his coordinates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be curious to know why he said Felt was a "close second". It either fits your coordinates or it doesn't. Maybe the Felt wouldn't be preferred because you'd require a particularly tall stack of spacers or something? //

I think this is one of the misconceptions or getting a fit with a complete bike solution. Yes, you will get one or two bikes that come out on top, but in a lot of cases, the 5th or 6th bike could be just as good. Remember that stem length is just an arbitrary number to start with, like a 9 or so. IT could just be the 3rd best bike needs a 10, and the 6th best an 11 or 12, or even a 6. All of that to me is not a deal breaker in selecting a bike, lots of other things to consider, like price and availability for a couple. OR it could be some minor stack build, once again, should not be deal breakers.

When you get fit coordinates and plug them in, the top bike is just the closest to what you chose with middling stems. Maybe there is one bike that stands out way ahead of the bunch, it is especially difficult when you get to super bikes that cannot be changed much, if at all. But everyone just needs to know that the list of top bikes you get, could all be so close, that you use others factors in choosing which one. Maybe you like a brand, or color even...
Quote Reply