Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Do you wear your helmet when you're on rollers? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As coordinated as I am (not), I wouldn't attempt riding rollers with anything less than full football pads.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Do you wear your helmet when you're on rollers? [Hutch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You forgot: I can make and eat breakfast while on rollers.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jul 2, 19 11:38
Quote Reply
Re: Do you wear your helmet when you're on rollers? [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
No helmet.

A few years ago a buddy showed up to the group ride with a significant bruise.
When asked what happened he said he fell off his rollers. How? He tried riding with eyes closed. WTF??!

He explained that he was "generalizing" a swim drill, where you swim with eyes closed and see if your stroke is balanced and symmetrical enough to get you down the lane w/out veering into the lane lines.

He wanted to see if his pedal stroke on the bike was symmetrical.

So that's a hard "no".
Quote Reply
Re: Do you wear your helmet when you're on rollers? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not wear a helmet but I also have a pretty elaborate.... what's the term... "stability setup" around my rollers. Think about the safety bars you might have around a treadmill. Worst "crash" I've had on rollers involved me squishing the family jewels on the top tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The bigger question that has likely been debated to death here, is why even use rollers? Balancing on a bike isn't much of a limiting factor in triathlon performance so why work on it? You can be just as successful using a trainer (or likely more successful using a trainer) than using rollers. My opinion is that rollers are just something else you can brag to your friends about. 'I'm a real cyclist because I use rollers' 'I can ride with my eyes shut on rollers', 'I can ride no hands on rollers' 'I can spin at 110rpm on rollers'. Rollers = Ego

I thought rollers were supposed to help you even out your pedal stroke or something.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hutch wrote:
The bigger question that has likely been debated to death here, is why even use rollers? Balancing on a bike isn't much of a limiting factor in triathlon performance so why work on it? You can be just as successful using a trainer (or likely more successful using a trainer) than using rollers. My opinion is that rollers are just something else you can brag to your friends about. 'I'm a real cyclist because I use rollers' 'I can ride with my eyes shut on rollers', 'I can ride no hands on rollers' 'I can spin at 110rpm on rollers'. Rollers = Ego

Just like . . ."I do triathlons blah blah blah" = Ego.

Without rehashing the debate, rollers vs. trainers are not equivalent. Sure, you can get strong and fit from trainer sessions, yet still have poor technique. You have to have a smooth pedaling technique on rollers, else you can't ride them well. If you can have both, that's a nice setup. If you have to choose one, rollers give you more. Although there is a short learning curve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, if you need to ask about safety gear, you should be using it (general rule in life).

You could always modify as your level of confidence increase.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you wear your helmet when you're on rollers? [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
IMO, if you need to ask about safety gear, you should be using it (general rule in life).

You could always modify as your level of confidence increase.

Definitely not a bad general rule! I (my friend ;-) was primarily curious what others did. I'm actually quite surprised so many people say "yes" to helmet, even while beginning.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can practice the no handed stuff on-road a well if you're in a safe situation.

If you ride hours of tempo/SS alone at some point you need to do something requiring more balance than drinking while riding. Like putting on a jacket or taking off a jacket. A smooth straight false flat uphill is a good starting point.

I think rollers and a freewheel hub bike isn't the same as a trackie on a fixed gear. That's the real deal.

Also, you think people riding their BMX bikes for a 1/4 mile a time steering the thing no-hands in a peg-stand practice that crap on rollers? No joke, I'm on the way home one day in traffic going like 15mph and see a guy on his BMX bike on the curvy bumpy sidewalk doing 15mph beside me downhill while standing no hands on the rear pegs and just in the zone listening to some song he liked. Dancing his arms around and such. Makes the average clubbie roadie look like an infant who can't even walk or crawl yet for bike handling skills.

After watching the youtube videos of folks on rollers, I can say for sure that starting out with a helmet might not be such a horrible idea at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roller rider for years and have never worn a helmet on them-but I can understand why someone would.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha. Maybe this is because I live in Minnesota and thus have to spend the winter months (every month except June, July, August) riding indoors, but I like my rollers. I've never fallen off, including the first time I used them. Now and again my front tire will go off the side-then I just clip out and put my foot down. It does smell like burning rubber after.

I have a direct drive trainer as well, which I use more but the rollers are great for recovery rides and when I'm bored of the trainer.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the %importance distribution would vary greatly amongst and plus other factors than what you listed. Depends on the course, conditions, distance, etc. Aero is less important on a tough uphill course (Mt. Washington hill climb); more important on something flat and fast, etc. I'm sure there is a way to quantify and illustrate 'smoothness' as well - old schoolers with CompuTrainers had this SpinScan thing or something - but that focused on force applied to the pedals.

Why I like rollers is because to ride them 'smoothly', a whole bunch of things come together - certainly an even pedal stroke; but also how you shift your hands on the handlebars, how you shift your weight on the saddle, etc. -- all of these movements affect the bike on rollers. Smoothness means your body is automatically compensating and adjusting to all of those effects when done well. Done poorly, rollers will let you know. I remember early days when pushing the shifters to change gears + the change in cadence would bring me to a near crash. Smoothness in these terms are missed on a trainer. And that also explains why a roller session is closer to the experience of riding on roads than a trainer.

Re: Power - a trainer can be better for focussing only on power - pushing/mashing a big gear with high resistance - and that'll get you strong. But it would miss the other elements that come into play in cycling, and that rollers would give you.

Edit - Most rollers need some resistance unit added to match that kind of power focused trainer session or different sized drums than the norm; but can be done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hutch wrote:
Smooth pedaling technique mostly sounds like more crap and ego stuff that triathletes and cyclists use

Yep. Old school crap; lore from the days of old.

Not a stretch to get from there to powercranks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Asking for a friend.

I have this climbing harness I rigged up to the ceiling so if I go off the rollers I don't hit the ground.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume you don't need to wear an aero helmet on rollers.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you wear your helmet when you're on rollers? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Asking for a friend.
I have this climbing harness I rigged up to the ceiling so if I go off the rollers I don't hit the ground.

pics or it didn't happen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hutch wrote:

It is a personal choice and i don't brag about it, but it is much more convenient to just take my bike inside and place on rollers for indoor workout, then just grab the bike on saturday or whatever day i might ride outside and just go for a ride. 100% of my indoor riding is on my rollers, i don't even own a trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay I lied but I think it is a legit idea. If you ride off you don't even break ribs! You could have a bungy cord thingy to make it less shocking. Good on you for calling me out.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Jul 5, 19 15:43
Quote Reply
Re: Do you wear your helmet when you're on rollers? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Okay I lied but I think it is a legit idea. If you ride off you don't even break ribs! You could have a bungy cord thingy to make it less shocking. Good on you for calling me out.

I dunno, I can't imagine a climbing harness around your legs wouldn't cause some chafing, aside from other issues

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We use rollers to warm up on our fixed gear track bikes at every event... and no one wears helmets ! Alot of it has to do with the diameter of the rollers. The 'skinny' ones provide more of a load - not really suitable for a track bike (unless you can cook toast while on them) Every one I know has the 4.5 inch Kreitler and it works just fine.

A more advanced move is to ride rollers on the track bike in the aero bars !

I do know a friend (!) who was watching a fast a furious movie while on the rollers, he is a 30+ year experienced roller rider, but he took a turn with a car, went off the rollers and dislocated his pinky finger in the fall, it hurt quite a bit (i mean he told me it really hurt!).
Quote Reply

Prev Next