Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
Did Lange go back and pick up the bottle he clearly threw?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yijXzO-vqtk

Skip to 4:02

The yellow/black box he rode by just as he tossed it was the trash bin at the end of the aid stations. Looks like he may have even tossed it into the bin and not just on the floor like most athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SO I have finally had a look at the video, and it looks to me that the curb was the culprit here. It looks to me like he was thinking that there was just flat road for that turn, which he likely would have made. But that bump of the curb made him straighten out, and once he did that, was committed to going out of the turn. Doesnt look like the motorcycle had anything to do with it, just road furniture...
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he rode the course many times before right?

it looked a bit like the moto to the left forced him to stay right and take the turn tight, and the moto in front slowed fast , and Jan locked up briefly which cased a skid -

he said something like that here too https://www.youtube.com/...aOgAlO8TXP8&t=5s (german spoken)
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's almost as if you have never watched a professional basketball, football, world cup soccer, or professional hockey game. The rules are different for pros, and they are different-er for the top pros. That's life. He didn't do anything intelltionally either so that's going to factor in as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
he rode the course many times before right?

it looked a bit like the moto to the left forced him to stay right and take the turn tight, and the moto in front slowed fast , and Jan locked up briefly which cased a skid -

he said something like that here too https://www.youtube.com/...aOgAlO8TXP8&t=5s (german spoken)

That's a pre-race interview?
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he rode the course many times before right? //

Not sure what this statement has to do with anything being discussed here. You think that people ride a 112 mile course, and magically remember every inch of every turn, and at race speeds they were not likely riding them during training? Right??

Like I said, it looks to "ME", that he came in too hot on the turn, thinking he had the entire road to make it(which he would have if so), and the road furniture got in the way. IF I'm him, I would say the exact same thing, blame it on the motos, that way there is no backlash to whatever there might be. It doesnt appear there should be any, overshooting a turn and coming right back in before the turn is even over, well seem like a non event. But you just never know what bee gets stuck in someones bonnet, so just blame the bikes and move across what should be a non event...

He is a very seasoned pro, and thinks quick on his feet so to speak, and didn't want to ruin a probable win with some nonsense...
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure how Ironman enforces it, but accidental bottle ejection will rarely get penalized for littering (not sure what you mean about a different penalty, there are only 3 penalty durations... Blue Card, for drafting, or not falling back when overtaken (5min for long distance), yellow card, basically everything else, littering, blocking, mount/dismount, etc.) 1min for LD, and Red Card (DSQ)... And in terms of Lange, it looks by the presence of the bin there that he was in a designated littering zone, which is also not a penalty...

Again, less familiar with how Ironman does these penalties, but in the ITU context, regardless of whether it was Frodo, or Joe back of the pack age grouper, you're not going to give them a littering violation for the bottles ejecting due to a bumpy patch of the course, or accidentally having to do a bit of cyclocross (the one exception would be in certain zones where a race might ride through a nature preserve, and there may be zero tolerance, but these would be clearly stated up front in the briefings...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sluglas wrote:
When Frodo did his little off road excursion today, two bottles clearly went flying off of his bike. I didn't see him go back and get them. Why is this not littering and why was he not penalized?

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I wanted him penalized or that I think in any way he was responsible, I'm just looking for an explanation. Is this a case where the infraction is overlooked because it would ruin a good story?

Are your normally an ar$ehole or just wanted to start a thread?

He didn’t throw them away on purpose. Its not Like he was thinking, oh how about I throw my nutrition away.

You get the award of the month for being a wanker.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ummm, I was just asking a question based on a rule as I understood it and how it's been discussed on here before. Fortunately most people didn't make the assumption you made and I think there was a pretty good discussion and explanation.

As for his intent, if you read through the thread you will see that intent may not matter. I know that pros have been penalized in the past for accidentally dropping food wrappers and the like; don't think that's usually done on purpose either.

So to reverse the question: Are you always a dick towards people online that you don't know?
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Sluglas wrote:
When Frodo did his little off road excursion today, two bottles clearly went flying off of his bike. I didn't see him go back and get them. Why is this not littering and why was he not penalized?

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I wanted him penalized or that I think in any way he was responsible, I'm just looking for an explanation. Is this a case where the infraction is overlooked because it would ruin a good story?

He didn’t throw them away on purpose. Its not Like he was thinking, oh how about I throw my nutrition away.

Geesh dude. Anger issues much?
Quote Reply
Re: Did Frodo go back and pick up the water bottles he left on the course? [Pmswanepoel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:
PJC wrote:
Sluglas wrote:

Geesh dude. Anger issues much?

Nope. But it was a dumb question. Jan didn't get a DQ so it's a pointless question to ask. About the only people that can ask that question would be other Professional men, and they didn't ask it because they aren't wankers.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply

Prev Next