Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triracerboy wrote:

Anybody know about the 70.3 bikecourse? It seems to have changed back to last years course on the website? Is this accurate?

I posted about this earlier on p.2, the Athlete guide has us doing one loop with the two out and backs. For some reason the website course reverted to last year's map but I think we trust the athlete guide.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saturday night has a low of 46F/7.7C (coldest so far this week looking on my weather app) which means a cold morning but not sure how fast it will warm up.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saturday night has a low of 46F/7.7C (coldest so far this week looking on my weather app) which means a cold morning but not sure how fast it will warm up.

Whistler is in a Mountain Valley with high mountains to the east and west. Thus - the sun is late to come up in the morning and warm things up.

Alta Lake is a reasonably cool to cold lake swim and then you will be heading out into cold (less than 10C air). For proper performance, you need to dress appropriately. Triathletes seem to be obsessed to the point of being crazy about "over heating" on the bike. The ONLY time in any triathlon race, I felt like I was truly over heating on the bike, was on the 2km uphill section at the IRONMAN World Championships when you climb back up from Kawaihae, to the Queen K, with a dead tail-wind, making it still and stifling hot!.

Back to IMC in Whistler - for conditions like this, and knowing that it will not REALLY start to warm up in Whistler until late in the morning and around noon. Here's what I would wear:

Over your race suit -

- full fingered gloves
- arm warmers
- Tight fitting wind or thermal vest
- Knee warmers
- Socks in cycling shoes and possibly over shoes
- Helmet liner

To put all of that on in transition takes maybe about a minute+ if you know what you are doing. It will be the BEST minute you spend on race day and you will be sanding me a note of thanks afterwards.

Just generally about the weather in Whistler - people seem to forget it's a mountain town in the Pacific Coastal Mountain Range. As such the weather can be very fickle and change quickly. Last year high pressure and heat were locked in. I was there 10 days before the race and every day including race day was full on sunshine and scorcher. But it could just as easily been a week or so of overcast, cool to cold weather as well!

I recall a hike we went on from the Round House up on Whistler Mountain years ago. Started off in brilliant sunshine and complete blue skies wearing t-shirts and shorts. However, by mid afternoon as we were arriving back at the Round House foreboding black clouds had formed, and the temperature had dropped precipitously. In a matter of minutes it started to pour rain, then snow! Fortunately we had brought along extra clothing gear with us (which you always carry in the mountains). The weather got so bad that they had to close the lift back down for about an hour, and many tourists caught out had to stand around in t-shirts and shorts, as the rain and snow came down! They got cold and miserable fast!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jul 22, 19 14:59
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still debating which front wheel to bring... what is the typical cross wind situation on fast section of the course?

Everything seams to be surrounded by trees... so i don't expect too much cross-wind but just checking ?!?
Last edited by: benleg: Jul 22, 19 15:10
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding cross wind I was booting it down Callaghan last Friday going like 65 and I got a scary wind across the bike In aero and a scary moment

Quintana Roo PR6 with Zipp 454 front and rear

Then I did the same thing yesterday no wind at all and was fine

Slowtwitch swim Wednesday morning (I’ll likely do a bit Saturday too)

Departing rainbow park at 7 am

2 of us so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leg warmers eh?
I dont actually own any and usually just wear tights with my bike shorts.

I will definitely take your advice on the arm warmers and full gloves though....
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leg warmers eh?

Knee Warmers

Way more versatile and can go on/off easily - If you are a good bike handler you can even take them off while rolling along the road and never have to stop!

But if it will never get over 15C - 17C on the bike at IMC, you'll never need to take them off!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lol - i'd never try taking them off while rolling
i'm usually too chicken to even do that with my arm warmers!
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's the only section with cross-wind, i think i will take the deep wheels.

I'm a little more worry about a long section that is a constant battle to stay up right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Leg warmers eh?

Knee Warmers

Way more versatile and can go on/off easily - If you are a good bike handler you can even take them off while rolling along the road and never have to stop!

But if it will never get over 15C - 17C on the bike at IMC, you'll never need to take them off!

By 10 ish it will be warm if sunny
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raining And freezing this morning

Whistler weather changes quickly. If it is like this on race day please be ready with your really cold weather gear

It’s 8 degrees and seems colder
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah that rain last night in the city was crazy
it was hoody weather when I left the house this morning

.....and i decided to listen to Fleck (maybe he kinda knows what he's talking about?) and picked up a pair of knee warmers at MEC on the way home yesterday. Just in case ;)
Last edited by: y_nigel: Jul 24, 19 8:32
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hah, because it has been scorching last few years I didn’t bring all my stuff. I am receiving a fedex from home tomorrow with my Gilet, leg warmers, FF gloves etc.

I was standing outside this morning at 6 am in the rain - whoa it was cold and I was perfectly dry. I swam yesterday afternoon again (in the sun) and it was perfect swimming temp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rain predicted in the early morning on Saturday and mostly cloudy with a high of 70 and low of 48. Sunday is predicted to be mostly sunny with a high of 77 and a low of 49. Looks good so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [Uno_mas!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim course is up. Lots of people going out into the lake from t1
Quote Reply

Prev Next