Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The honest libertarian and immigration
Quote | Reply
The opinion-

"I oppose all forms of government except the military, the police and the other things that I like (or need)."

Is NOT libertarian.

Also- "I believe in free trade and liberty, except when it violates laws I like (that were often created to protect me from free trade and the liberty of others)."

Is also NOT libertarian.

That said, most people (especially Libertarians) don't have a problem with hypocrisy, lies and logical inconsistencies. And in a democracy we often have to value the opinions of "most" people.

Personally- I can't see free trade (including the free movement of labour) being universally legalized.

So what would a honest libertarian recommend?

Here are my thought:
It is a waste of money and time to fight liberty and free markets.
(This is the real reason communism failed).

Maybe - one should pretend to do something. Yet, at the same time, try to cut government spending and permit governmental bureaucratic ineptitude to flourish.

This was probably the "real" immigration strategy (what actually happened) during the previous 5 presidencies. ( I can vouch for the fact that the old INS was an epic dysfunctional bureaucratic nightmare.)

Was neglect the best practical "libertarian" approach to immigration?

Has Trump actually changed anything?
Or has he simply increased the noise and rallied the illogical contingents of society?

This behavior might actually increase governmental ineptitude (which might be a good thing in this case)?
It sounds like Trump wants to increase boondoggle spending (that sounds bad).
Quote Reply