Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

garmin vector advice
Quote | Reply

i have the very first gen. i've been very happy with them. but a month ago in a really rainy race, they stopped working. i changed the pods to new ones, and they worked for a couple rides, but in a glitchy way, for example, the head unit would think the sensor id had changed. last night this happened again, and now they are totally unresponsive. new battery, changed back to the other pods.

this makes me think the problem is in the pedal, not the pod, and im worried garmin won't help, or we'll spend all summer mailing pods back and forth.

should i just buy the new 3? or should i try to get support?
Quote Reply
Re: garmin vector advice [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The original Vector pedals are very old, especially by technology product standards, where 3-4 years is the max useful life for most products. I would not try very hard to resurrect them, unless Garmin offers something for free. I would get the Favero Assioma pedals. I had a set of P1 pedals that reached their end of life, and I was debating between the V3, P2, and Assioma of what to buy next. The Assioma are freakin' awesome and way cheaper than anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin customer service is without peer.

Call them. On the phone.

Ask for help--and lead the CSR to the only possible conclusion of sending you replacements at a discount, or for free.

The V3 pedals are pretty awesome (but read up on battery door shims/hacks).

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jun 27, 19 5:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with philly, I've had nothing but great experiences with Garmin support (on the phone). I also agree that the original vectors are a bit "long in the tooth" at this point, that said I'm still running them with a V2 upgrade on my road bike with new V3's on my tri-bike, with no issues.

USAT L1 and Youth&Junior Elite - USAC L3 - RRCA
The Cupcake Cartel
Skratch Labs Ambassador - Skratchlete
BOCO Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: garmin vector advice [Doctor_J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doctor_J wrote:
I'm still running them with a V2 upgrade on my road bike with new V3's on my tri-bike, with no issues.
Heh. I've this setup, too.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d also scrap the Garmin pedals and go the Assioma route. They’re cheaper and more reliable. I bought and returned two sets of V3 (one pre battery door problem and one post). I’ve heard of people still having battery door issues even after the “fix”. The Assiomas are also easy to charge and the little pod makes them easier to move between bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
V1 is very old.. I still have mine, but when they offered the retrofit kit to bring them up to v2 ( I did) they still work perfectly (black pods).. I'm using V3 now on my road bike.. the V2 on my tribike.

Garmin support is very good.. call them... if you can get the black pods if you have not already.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin vector advice [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

holy cow .. garmin support was incredible. very good outcome. thanks for suggesting that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the v1 on eBay last year and was looking into upgrading them to the v2, but the website didn't allow me to buy them in Canada for some reason. Just ended up contacting Gamin on Facebook and they ended up sending me the upgrade kit for free! Not sure if the v2 is functionally that much different, but they make installation and swapping between bikes way way easier, so I'm happy with it.

Strava
Quote Reply