Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Woud there be a "swim" wetsuit business if not for triathlon? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Burt, Is that you?

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Woud there be a "swim" wetsuit business if not for triathlon? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
That's actually a great question. Yes there are a ton of OW swim events, even pro ones(as very cold temps) that allow wetsuits. But I believe that push came from triathlon. We made the wetsuit normal, we made it great, and we made it fast. All that pressure spilled over to OW swimming, a sport that actually had a rule against them, and was militant about it.

It is kind of like aero bars, we had them years before cyclists, but at some point, they just couldn't ignore them and the advantage they provided. Had we not been around as a sport, not sure if cyclists would even be using them today. It really was a stodgy and set in stone sport. They might have index shifting, maybe clip less pedals, and now electronic shifting, but those are all improvements on what existed before. Aero bars were alien to them, and even when they were proved to be a huge benefit, a lot went kicking and screaming over the next couple decades.

And wetsuits were really pioneered for surfing, along with diving. And funny to note that surfing wetsuits have gotten a lot more like triathlon wetsuits over the years, I tell guess even surfers like a nice fit that is comfortable. Those suits I wore in the 60's and 70's were pretty horrible, but they somewhat worked, and no one knew any difference..

You are so right Monty. Bike racers and aero bars.

Showed up for a time trial at Webster Park near Rochester NY with a set of aero bars. One of the first sets in the area I believe

The starter, Michael Carnahan, former pro bike racer. Me a total newb. I am dumbfounded to actually be looking at a guy I have read about in books. WOW

He says “What are THOSE things?!?

I tell him they are aero bars to go faster

His reply PFFFTT!!! A fad! You wasted your money.

Lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Woud there be a "swim" wetsuit business if not for triathlon? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:
I mean, it's pretty obvious that the speed/buoyancy advantage drives the use of wetsuits in triathlon. I don't get the "wetsuits are a crutch, blah blah blah" argument. Maybe, for some, they do need a wetsuit to even finish. But for myself and many others, its the advantage. That's like showing up to a time trial and complaining because you see too many deep dish wheels and aero helmets. It's part of the sport.

There is a big difference between wetsuits and aero equipment. Aero equipment reduce drag, wetsuits increase buoyancy. Wetsuits are more akin to adding a motor to your bike, it increases power.

A. The wetsuit reduces drag. It does this by increasing bouyancy, but the thing that matters is reduced drag. Kinda like a TT bike reduces drag by increasing the amount of carbon in the frame...

B. A wetsuit adds no power. In fact it probably reduces power because of restriction.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Woud there be a "swim" wetsuit business if not for triathlon? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wetsuits and aerobars do not push you forward. There is no fundamental difference between the two. I would be totally happy if disc wheels were banned, or if wetsuits were banned or for that matter if Nike 4% were banned b/c of the carbon plates. Unlikely any of this happens, and 0 chance aerobars get banned. But to say that wetsuits push your forward like a motor is a real stretch.
Quote Reply
Re: Woud there be a "swim" wetsuit business if not for triathlon? [Conky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Conky wrote:
I mean, it's pretty obvious that the speed/buoyancy advantage drives the use of wetsuits in triathlon. I don't get the "wetsuits are a crutch, blah blah blah" argument. Maybe, for some, they do need a wetsuit to even finish. But for myself and many others, its the advantage. That's like showing up to a time trial and complaining because you see too many deep dish wheels and aero helmets. It's part of the sport.

Wetsuits do provide buoyancy. I'm less concerned about the speed conundrum. More concerned about "swimmers" who would need a wetsuit to finish the swim. That's a crutch.

They are so psyched that it's an historically wetsuit legal race, then are crushed when it's not and wonder if they can swim the distance.

This is not like aero. People are not like "It's so windy. I can't use my disc wheel. I'm afraid I won't be able to finish the bike".

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Woud there be a "swim" wetsuit business if not for triathlon? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is not like aero. People are not like "It's so windy. I can't use my disc wheel. I'm afraid I won't be able to finish the bike". //

Of course it is, just go back and look at all the bike splits that just make the cutoff by a few to maybe 20+ minutes. Without aero, they would not finish the bike, and thus, not be going onto the run, same exact thing..
Quote Reply
Re: Woud there be a "swim" wetsuit business if not for triathlon? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
This is not like aero. People are not like "It's so windy. I can't use my disc wheel. I'm afraid I won't be able to finish the bike". //

Of course it is, just go back and look at all the bike splits that just make the cutoff by a few to maybe 20+ minutes. Without aero, they would not finish the bike, and thus, not be going onto the run, same exact thing..

Not really. With the swim analogy some think they are going to die or that they'll have to be pulled out of the water.

Of course you can say that time matters is the swim and bike so cutoffs can be made. I agree.

My point is people who can't swim comfortably without a wetsuit maybe shouldn't be.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Woud there be a "swim" wetsuit business if not for triathlon? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course you can say that time matters is the swim and bike so cutoffs can be made. I agree. //

This is exactly what I said, and you said the exact opposite previously, but now agree with me. I get that a lot...(-;

Being pulled out of the water, or being pulled off the bike course,Or the run for that matter, are the same exact thing. Yes, you can miss the cutoffs too, they let a few complete those legs if they were close, but they also pull many that are too far away, they dont let people ride at night, and they dont let people just keep swimming when it is 2;40 into the swim...
Quote Reply
Re: Would there be a "swim" wetsuit business if not for triathlon? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FINA only began allowing wetsuits in late 2016. In a FINA sanctioned race wetsuits are only allowed below 20C.

Non sanctioned open water races are common and like others have said can attract thousands.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Woud there be a "swim" wetsuit business if not for triathlon? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a rules thing. At the highest levels wetsuits were prohibited until recently. Now it's a 20C Cutoff

ericMPro wrote:
it's cultural/social.... as soon as one of those guys who cares about racing gets beaten in a race by a guy with a wetsuit, the rest of the swim peleton will probably adapt.

mattr wrote:
NAB777 wrote:
IT wrote:
Before triathlon, I thought of wetsuits as something divers used.

Since triathlon, I've thought of wetsuits as a crutch that some triathletes really like to use or must have to complete their swim.

Is there even a wetsuit market for swimmers for purely swim events?

Could more wetsuit manufacturers start showing up at triathlons (even Oly's/sprints) with their samples for people to try on if they want market share and reduce their returns?

We have a whole bunch of open water swimming events here in Victoria, Australia. Over our summer, there'd be a choice of at least 30-40 races you could do, and nearly everyone wears a wetsuit. One event alone attracts up to 4000 competitors each year.

Lot's of fun...

That's interesting. I was talking to a local open water distance swimmer at the pool. He said no one in his group wears a wetsuit. This is up in New England where water temps are pretty cold in spring and fall.

Quote Reply
Re: Woud there be a "swim" wetsuit business if not for triathlon? [Conky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wetsuit is there to prevent hypothermia, yes it improves body position, etc. It shouldn't be taken for granted that you should be allowed to wear it in any circumstance.

Quote Reply
Re: Woud there be a "swim" wetsuit business if not for triathlon? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not taking it for granted, but I will take advantage of it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next