Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a dude clean the gutters twice per year. We have a steeply pitched roof, and the gutters are nearly 30 feet up in back. One fall and the family is hosed...

Beyond that, I take a lot of pride in doing it all myself. Very few of my neighbors do, so I treat it as an opportunity to show my sons the pride that comes from having a really nice place that you did yourself.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
A service mows the yard; other than that, nothing.

Wait, don't you have four young kids? Or am I confusing you with another poster?

If so... How in the hell do you manage that?

I qualify for AARP and am closer to "GET OFF MY LAWN" age than diapers, but thanks for asking!

You post really young though

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mother in-law comes over every Wednesday and she usually cleans up while she's here.
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lunchbox wrote:
I have a dude clean the gutters twice per year. We have a steeply pitched roof, and the gutters are nearly 30 feet up in back. One fall and the family is hosed...

Beyond that, I take a lot of pride in doing it all myself. Very few of my neighbors do, so I treat it as an opportunity to show my sons the pride that comes from having a really nice place that you did yourself.

?? professional, licenced and insured, right. Otherwise "One fall and the family is hosed... "

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been starting to do some of the landscaping, when in the past I did none. Since I have a landscaping business, I just put my house on the schedule. We have been too busy this year at work, so I send my crews to people that pay instead of me!

I still have my lawn mowed weekly though.

We also have a house cleaning service, but only once a month.

I generally cook, girlfriend generally does the laundry. Anyone does dishes and garbage. In a perfect world, everyone picks up after themselves and it all works out.

Regardless of my income, I donā€™t want to over complicate my life as you have found is happening. More sq ft, vacation home, extra cars (Iā€™m victim of that), all require more maintenance. It just is not worth the headache.

Iā€™m actually thinning the bicycle heard at the moment for the same reasons.
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'm definitely looking to un-complicate and streamline a bit.

Luckily we have long term student tenants moving in to our suite soon - no Airbnb management.

Our nanny is gone end of summer and our daughter will be in daycare - one less thing to manage, AND the house will be quiet on the days I work from home. I cannot wait to clean out/set up the home office. I'm actually giddy about it.

The dog walker we have twice a week, as it's nice to get home some days and not have to head back out for an hour+, especially when weather is shitty.

I hope to dramatically re-landscape our yard in to something with less maintenance at some point, but that's relatively low on the home improvement priority list.

We don't own ANY toys (camper, boat, extra vehicles, etc). Most of our money goes to living where we do, which is expensive, but hard to beat.

It's hard to believe how much I did before we had a daughter. 12+ hours of IM training, starting a business, renoing my own place, etc. The difference was when I got burnt out, you just stopped and took the time to recover. Now when I feel burnt out, the kid takes that as a sign to forget how to sleep and wake up at 3am daily :-).

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
mopdahl wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
We have an Au pair that lives with us, A nanny that shows up at 6am to get the kids up and ready for school. The cook shows up at 7 to have breakfast prepared. Wife and I are out the door by 8. Nanny takes kids to daycare. Cleaning service shows up each day at 10 cleans till 2. Once a week we have a lawn mowing service, and the Gardner works about 3hrs a day 7days a week. Nanny picks kids up from afterschool daycare at 4 and brings them home by 5. Chef has a light snack ready for them. Tutor comes over at 6 tutors kids till 8. Chef has dinner ready at 8 wife and I get home some nights by 8 for dinner. Au pair reads to kids and tucks them in by 9. at least a few nights a week wife and I are home by 9 but some days we just need a break from the kids and house work so we meet up at a bar for drinks those nights we get home by 11 (only 2 or 3 times a week) Anyhow, if we are home by 9 we go into the kids bedroom and give them a kiss good night.
Then we head downstairs for a few drinks, as having kids and running a household is so much work.

Of course weekends are different our chef wont do lunches, so we make the Au pair feed the kids, so we don't have to leave the gym or spa to come home and make them a meal.

So i guess you could say we have a little bit of help, but I am sure others have far more.

So your Au Pair does nothing basically....pics or it didn't happen..

I think he forgot the pink; otherwise the au pair is for when wifey is too busy to be a wife and tucks him into bed. It worked for Schwarzenegger...until it didnā€™t šŸ˜‰

This is what I get for posting at end of a long day.....zero sense of humor awareness. Well done.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lunchbox wrote:

I do think this is very important. From feedback from our neighbors, and from my kid's friends parents, they are amazed that we "force" our kids to do chores, and that they actually do them. Not sure how they grew up/raised their kids, but I personally value a very high sense of work ethic & believe it is crucial to long-term success.

Plus if they don't want to do the chores their phones & electronics go away and then magically chores get done....

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
A cleaning lady that comes every other week.

Thatā€™s about it. Also Various service people as required to do jobs that I either donā€™t want to do or are above my skill set.

Looking for someone to replace tiles in our bathroom (above skill set) and someone to replace a ripped screen for me (I dont want to).

I can recommend a great tile guy. Travel cost might be steep...

Replacement screens are pretty cheap. Around here a patio door screen will be replaced for $75ish. So, around $40 Toronto Dollars.

Upstairs bedroom window. A raccoon was trying to get in. Did you know that those fuckers could climb brick walls? WTF is that?

My dog cornered a big ass raccoon in the yard the other night. The sounds that raccoon was making were terrifying. It sounded like an angry python hissing. I'm glad the dog had enough sense to not attack. Despite her being a 75 lbs german shepherd/husky cross, I would put my money on the racoon!

When I lived in the Okanagan I had a raccoon family in one of our chicken pens late one night. Cornered one with my .22, hit it in the side and the fucker ran at me snarling. Those little bandit faced assholes are vicious. Once I killed it, my border collie picked it up, shook it three times and spit it out with contempt and walked away. Thanks a bunch for your help bitch.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell your neighbours about the Harvard Grant Study.

Kids who do chores are more successful as adults because they develop a ā€œpitch inā€ mentally.
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
mopdahl wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
We have an Au pair that lives with us, A nanny that shows up at 6am to get the kids up and ready for school. The cook shows up at 7 to have breakfast prepared. Wife and I are out the door by 8. Nanny takes kids to daycare. Cleaning service shows up each day at 10 cleans till 2. Once a week we have a lawn mowing service, and the Gardner works about 3hrs a day 7days a week. Nanny picks kids up from afterschool daycare at 4 and brings them home by 5. Chef has a light snack ready for them. Tutor comes over at 6 tutors kids till 8. Chef has dinner ready at 8 wife and I get home some nights by 8 for dinner. Au pair reads to kids and tucks them in by 9. at least a few nights a week wife and I are home by 9 but some days we just need a break from the kids and house work so we meet up at a bar for drinks those nights we get home by 11 (only 2 or 3 times a week) Anyhow, if we are home by 9 we go into the kids bedroom and give them a kiss good night.
Then we head downstairs for a few drinks, as having kids and running a household is so much work.

Of course weekends are different our chef wont do lunches, so we make the Au pair feed the kids, so we don't have to leave the gym or spa to come home and make them a meal.

So i guess you could say we have a little bit of help, but I am sure others have far more.

So your Au Pair does nothing basically....pics or it didn't happen..

I think he forgot the pink; otherwise the au pair is for when wifey is too busy to be a wife and tucks him into bed. It worked for Schwarzenegger...until it didnā€™t šŸ˜‰

This is what I get for posting at end of a long day.....zero sense of humor awareness. Well done.

Wow Mopdahl.. you need some rest. and a pic

And last years

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wish we hired a little more, but I'm too Midwest frugal. We are starting to hire a little more, though. There's just too much going on with the family and kids activities for me to keep up on everything. Hired someone to do some work around here -- a little paint, powerwashing, staining the deck. Probably gonna hire some teenagers to rip out landscaping overgrowth and rocks so I can redesign it, might bring them back to lay down the new rock. As much as I'd like to pay someone to mow my yard or clean the house, I just cannot justify it and would rather make it an expectation that the kids chip in to help with the cleaning so we don't have to pay for it and they learn. But I'd hire a personal chef in a second if we had the scratch to justify it comfortably. And a driver.
Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought she looked familiar. Hope she wasn't too used up when she made the move south....

Such a darling come-hither look to the children:

Beach days were always a favorite. Especially in December:

Problems started when my children, and wife, for some reason started developing body image issues. I didn't understand the nature of he problem as I was fine with the body.

Had to let her go. Pretty sure she went to work for this guy (I think it was the kids photos on the iphone case that sealed the deal)...

Quote Reply
Re: How much help do you have around the house? [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

?? professional, licenced and insured, right. Otherwise "One fall and the family is hosed... "

Yup. Iā€™m not somebodyā€™s golden meal ticket.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply

Prev Next