Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has she tried using her road bike on the rail trail? It might just need some 25 or 28 tires and be just fine. People rode down dirt roads just fine before gravel bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes we have and it's going to actually be a solution to another problem which is her current bike is way too big. So we're thinking a properly fitting disc brake bike that can serve two purposes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect. If it is hilly maybe consider two chain rings in the front otherwise you can probably get away just fine with something like a 38 or a 40 single ring and some big cog in the back. I ride a cyclocross bike for all kinds of things I think some of the objections people had to the handling or geometry might be somewhat overstated I wouldn't dismiss the idea of a cyclocross bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also I wanted to mention if you are a bargain shopper cantilever brake cyclocross bikes are very affordable now you can buy something very high-end for $1,000. I do cyclocross bikes for junior riders and I've been finding some great bargains lately I got my daughter on a gorgeous carbon pinarello for next to nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Test rode a Giant Revolt Advanced 2 yesterday, loved it. Couldn't take it offroad, but nailed some potholes in the parking lot and it soaked them up nicely, even with the stock 40c tires at 50psi. It can fit 45's and 650b's. The 2019 2 comes with Giant's Conduct brake system, mech actuated hydro, but the 2020's are coming full 105 hydro. Not bad for just a bit over $2k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So after ordering the Raleigh Willard 4 through two different places including Raleigh only to find out that all the inventory was gone and having my money refunded twice we eventually did track one down.
Bike came the other day and then after a hour struggle of trying to figure out why the disc in the front was actually coming in contact with the front fork we discovered there was a part of the front hub not sure whether to call it a cap or a bushing let's just call it a spacer LOL missing.
But all said and done wife and I had first gravel ride today unexpectedly hit about a mile and a half of a very large rocks but I definitely get why so many people enjoy this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone ride or look at the Orbea Terra? Currently considering this bike. Would be interested in anyone's experience or opinion...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am curious if anyone knows of a 11speed cassette that's shimano compatible with a 36 tooth cassette? Trying to get ready for the crusher in the Tushar and want to go for a 1:1 ratio.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [Snowvols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SRAM is the only company that makes an 11-36, its compatible with shimano
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
But all said and done wife and I had first gravel ride today unexpectedly hit about a mile and a half of a very large rocks but I definitely get why so many people enjoy this.

Yep, you can always tell where the new gravel is. I had a group ride Saturday, we were cruising along at 15-16mph average no issues. Then we hit a 1 mile stretch where they very recently laid new thick gravel, we dropped to a solid 8-10mph. Even the bigger tires were struggling because the rocks were just moving underneath you.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [COBRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool thanks. Clearly I didn't know if it would be compatible. Don't know why it wouldn't but didn't want to spend the money. Now I just gotta survive 10K vert.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The guys behind Litespeed have a new brand focusing on carbon bikes called Ocoee. The Ocoee Boundary seems to be a good value for the money. 105 groupset for $2450 with a 48/32 up front and Panaracer Gravel King SK 700x43 tubeless by default. They say it fits up to 45mm with sufficient room for fenders. The Ultegra Di2 version for $3850 seems like a real bargain. Never heard of them before last week.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [rexnebula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rexnebula wrote:
The guys behind Litespeed have a new brand focusing on carbon bikes called Ocoee. The Ocoee Boundary seems to be a good value for the money. 105 groupset for $2450 with a 48/32 up front and Panaracer Gravel King SK 700x43 tubeless by default. They say it fits up to 45mm with sufficient room for fenders. The Ultegra Di2 version for $3850 seems like a real bargain. Never heard of them before last week.

I've traded a handful of emails with the National Sales Manager for Quintana Roo, Litespeed and Ocoee regarding the Boundary (mechanical Ultegra). I've been very impressed with him as well as the bike. Fairly close to pulling the trigger.

https://ocoeebikes.com/...anza-you-gotta-do-it
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [COBRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COBRI wrote:
SRAM is the only company that makes an 11-36, its compatible with shimano

SunRace as well...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
Anyone ride or look at the Orbea Terra? Currently considering this bike. Would be interested in anyone's experience or opinion...

The Terra is a sweet ride. It was my first choice bike before I found a local deal I couldn't pass up.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been looking at most of these bikes listed on this thread as I'm about to pull the trigger and buy a gravel bike. I keep coming back to a choice between two aluminum models as I don't really feel that carbon is worth it for me as an entry level bike. The debate is between the Cannondale Topstone 105 and Canyon Grail Al 7.0. The Topstone seems like a great value at $1750 (with possibly 10% returned on an REI dividend - anyone know for sure if this bike qualifies for that dividend?). The Topstone has a threaded bottom bracket, 105 groupset (except cranks), hydraulic brakes, and presumably will be assembled and set up for me by REI with a good return policy. The only drawbacks I see are some complaints about the wheelset (WTB ST i23 TCS) being heavy, but at that price I can understand that.

On the other hand, the Canyon Grail AL 7.0 is similarly priced with full 105 groupset, a carbon seatpost, and (?) maybe a better wheelset (DT Swiss C 1850). The downside I hear about the Canyon is the pressfit bottom bracket. I'm not super familiar with how big of a disadvantage that is in practical riding so would love to hear any input from the experts on here about that issue. Also, the Canyon is currently not in stock in the color I like and I would have to do some assembly and pray that I don't need to return it. Any thoughts on these two bikes would be greatly appreciated as I'm going back in forth on them on a daily basis. I should just buy one and be done with it!
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are the exact two bikes I was choosing between, for the same reasons you mentioned. I ended up with the Topstone only because someone local was selling a used one. I probably would have ended up buying the Canyon otherwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sake wrote:
The downside I hear about the Canyon is the pressfit bottom bracket. I'm not super familiar with how big of a disadvantage that is in practical riding so would love to hear any input from the experts on here about that issue.
It's usually a maintenance annoyance but not a serious issue. There are cases where a poorly-built bore can become seriously problematic, but it's not the norm.

I generally prefer a 68mm BSA shell over any other, but that's mostly a matter of support and setup versatility. It's about the closest thing there is to a "standard", and it's effortlessly compatible with almost everything.

Quote:
Also, the Canyon is currently not in stock in the color I like
This is really what matters. Get the Topstone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am super happy with my Raleigh Willard 4 it's a hell of a lot of bike for what I paid for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would any of you take your gravel bikes on non-technical single tracks. Out here in Philly, I (as a cumbersome roadie) have issues navigating my FS MTB on some of the trails. But we are moving to Madison, and from what I can tell, some of the trails they use for actual XC MTB races are tame in comparison. Would you guys think a dedicated gravel bike (with, say 27.5 wheels) would handle it?

For reference, this is footage from one of the courses. I don't expect to navigate through it as well as this person is doing, but if it's doable in a safe manner, then it'd really be a plus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw_lVhCV-eY
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not gonna sit thru 1:41 of GoPro vid, but the little bits I l did watch, makes that look completely non-technical.
Saw zero rocks, roots, downed trees, etc - looked smooth and flowy.

No reason you couldn’t ride a gravel bike on that.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to tell, but as some of the video isn't the best, you won't really know till you get out there. Overall could a gravel bike handle it, yes, would it be ideal no. If you go mtn biking in northern Wisconsin (CAMBRA trails) you will want a mtn bike.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on gravel bikes! [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
I’m not gonna sit thru 1:41 of GoPro vid, but the little bits I l did watch, makes that look completely non-technical.
Saw zero rocks, roots, downed trees, etc - looked smooth and flowy.

No reason you couldn’t ride a gravel bike on that.

thanks, and apologies for the long video

Delving into more of it, one could certainly handle on a gravel bike on the straighter sections. The twisty stuff, perhaps not as much

AndysStrongAle wrote:
Hard to tell, but as some of the video isn't the best, you won't really know till you get out there. Overall could a gravel bike handle it, yes, would it be ideal no. If you go mtn biking in northern Wisconsin (CAMBRA trails) you will want a mtn bike.

thanks

btw, do you do MTB in Wisconsin? if so, how would you characterize the competition? i'm suprised/impressed that each category has 120 competitors showing up, which is quite a bit more than what I see here in the more densely populated East Coast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't I live one state over (Minnesota). I don't race just ride mtn bikes when I want to switch it up from gravel. I actually just have a fat bike with a 29er wheelset. You'll find that mtn biking is pretty big here in the upper midwest and come winter everyone will be xc sking or fat biking. So I'd take the assumption that competition is pretty tough but I honestly have no idea.

Also just for fun you should sign up for chequamegon 40, its a fun race, its actually more of a big party than a race. Not technical but fun.

Finally, once you get to Wisconsin, don't plan on shitting for a few weeks, you'll eat more cheese in the first week then you ever have in your life.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Jul 5, 19 11:05
Quote Reply

Prev Next