Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Straw Hydration System - Swallowing Air
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone.

I used to have a Cervelo tri bike, and I just had a bottle cage in between my aerobars where I had a normal water bottle. No issues.

I got a Giant Trinity with the integrated hydration system between the aerobars and it has been a pain. The straw it came with didn't have a valve, so each time I took a sip, I swallowed a lot of air. Then, when I got into the run, my stomach was full of air, and I just couldn't perform my best because I was in pain and burping all the time.

I replaced the straw with a straw that has a bite valve system. It improved, but I am still swalloing air. Has anyoene experenced this? If so, have you came up with a solution?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Straw Hydration System - Swallowing Air [nicolairj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No solution, but man I don't know how you can swallow air. If I can, I will carry a small hydrogen tank and swallow, so I will be damn light and floating during the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what you're doing, that's an issue I've never heard of.

I was riding the Trinity the last 2.5 years and never had an issue with the standard straw. Never felt I needed a bite valve and never "swallowed air" - how does that happen? What does that even mean? Do you swallow air when you sip from a Coke at a restaurant?

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: Straw Hydration System - Swallowing Air [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only get that if my nose is plugged up before I drink, so I'm trying to mouthbreath and drink at the same time. Snot rocket first, slurp second.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exhale the air out of your nose until the water begins hitting your mouth. Then drink the water. Do not swallow the air. I would just use it like a normal straw.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're not an anomaly - this is a thing. We always swallow more air when drinking from a straw. I have to weigh the convenience of a straw vs. that nuisance. The exhaling tip is good, and I also find it helpful to 1. use a straw more in training and 2. sit up periodically to burp earlier so the air doesn't move along.

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Re: Straw Hydration System - Swallowing Air [Per] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Per and greenjp,

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'll try to be more mindfull about it. It's nice to receive a suggestion. I was getting kind of annoyed with the first responses with silly jokes that only waste time and make you feel bad.

Thanks again!
Last edited by: nicolairj: Jun 27, 19 10:42
Quote Reply
Re: Straw Hydration System - Swallowing Air [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi s13tx,

I will appreicate not receiving comments that aren't helpful at all, and are just making fun of people. There are other forums where you can do that if you really want to.

Per the same logic of swalloing hydrogen, you could only eat food that make you gassy since methane is also less dense than air under normal conditions. Why don't you do it? Because it doesn't work. Your stomack feels bad and you are not lighter in reality. Air, furts, or any gas inside your body is compressed, ergo, denser than after you burp it.
Quote Reply