Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hell is coming
Quote | Reply
2019 and thousands of people are going may die from the heat?

• Countries including France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, and Portugal are expected to experience a massive heat wave starting Wednesday, with hot air coming from the Sahara.
  • Temperatures are expected to rise as high as 45 degrees Celsius, or 113 Fahrenheit, this week.
  • The forecast is so intense that one Spanish meteorologist tweeted, "Hell is coming."
  • Some 15,000 people in France died when temperatures hit similar heights in August 2003. Officials in Paris have already put the city on high alert.
  • Scientists attribute it to global warming and warn of more such heat waves if countries don't cut their greenhouse-gas emissions soon.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Hell is coming [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have been in the high 90s everyday with a heat index of over 105. It’s brutal.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The obvious issue is that unsurprisingly most homes don't have access to AC

It will be the old, vulnerable and those in hospitals and care homes as well as babies most at risk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My son says it is 120 in the shade in Iraq.
Quote Reply
Re: Hell is coming [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:

He should move to a better climate.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend sent me video from Kuwait. The dashboard in the car said 61

The hottest I had when I was there was 57 in the car. The car shut down to preserve its electrical systems
Quote Reply
Re: Hell is coming [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The US should invade nicer places, like Iceland or Norway.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Hell is coming [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

He should move to a better climate.

He will. Just as soon as his deployment is up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That will suck for the USWNT game this Friday in the World Cup.

If it sticks around could make the Tour De France a little harder this year too.
Quote Reply
Re: Hell is coming [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
We have been in the high 90s everyday with a heat index of over 105. It’s brutal.

Yeah. It is 97 on my thermometer with 40% humidity (which is actually low for here). My wife said the heat index was 104 or something like that.

Last week I was freezing my butt off while riding on Lake Superior. It was 62 there for several days. It made it difficult to return to 95 and humid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:

• Countries including France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, and Portugal are expected to experience a massive heat wave starting Wednesday, with hot air coming from the Sahara.
  • Temperatures are expected to rise as high as 45 degrees Celsius, or 113 Fahrenheit, this week.
  • The forecast is so intense that one Spanish meteorologist tweeted, "Hell is coming."
  • Some 15,000 people in France died when temperatures hit similar heights in August 2003. Officials in Paris have already put the city on high alert.
  • Scientists attribute it to global warming and warn of more such heat waves if countries don't cut their greenhouse-gas emissions soon.

49 degrees in Bend right now. Its just hailed, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've been lucky. Temperatures at or below historic norms with higher than normal amounts of rain. It's like a rain forest around here.
Quote Reply
Re: Hell is coming [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
That will suck for the USWNT game this Friday in the World Cup.

If it sticks around could make the Tour De France a little harder this year too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:

Seriously, though, I don't get your point ~ you are somehow questioning that this is a legitimate threat? Believe it or not, not everyone lives in a modern climate-controlled dwelling. Poor people freeze to death in the winter, too. Yes, even in 2019, even in generally affluent nations. Is that really hard to believe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:

How the hell do 15,000 people die when a heat wave hits? I certainly understand the concept and can understand 1,000, but 15,000? How does that even happen?

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Hell is coming [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:

Where do you live because 90° is a normal summer day in Tennessee.

In 2003 I went to the Tour de France for the first time and that was a summer of very high temperatures and a lot of deaths throughout Europe. Like someone mentioned, many places don’t have air-conditioning so I can be really bad for the elderly and other populations.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hell is coming [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
A friend sent me video from Kuwait. The dashboard in the car said 61

The hottest I had when I was there was 57 in the car. The car shut down to preserve its electrical systems

Holy shit...

And I'm complaining cause it's supposed to get to 31 today and be the hottest day so far this year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:

Could be worse, it's been in the 120s (48-50) in northern India over the last month, where the average humidity for most the region is about 75%. Over 200 people have died, Chennai has run out of water.
Quote Reply
Re: Hell is coming [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

How the hell do 15,000 people die when a heat wave hits? I certainly understand the concept and can understand 1,000, but 15,000? How does that even happen?

Best estimates for the continent puts the death total for the 2003 heat wave at 50,000 to 70,000!
https://www.sciencedirect.com/...107003770?via%3Dihub
Quote Reply