Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Whole 30-compliant fueling options
Quote | Reply
My girlfriend and I will be embarking on the Whole 30 diet for the next 30 days. It's not much of a change to my diet except for (1) no tortillas; and (2) eliminating all my fueling options for long rides.

I generally would use a few bananas (which is acceptable); however, I would normally back them up with clif bars/shots and scratch labs in my bottles. That puts me in a not so comfortable place with finding other options. Generally, Larabars are "on the plan;" however, they are very high in fat. I have a copy of Feedzone Portables, but I don't think anything in that book provides grain-free options.

Any suggestions for a homemade fueling option without added sugar? I'm going to go on a limb and assume I will get a lot of my carbohydrates from dates and/or sweet potatoes while I am training. I am trying to find a recipe that uses sweet potatoes as a base, as I feel like the carbohydrates from the potato would be more easily digested (than eating pure dates).

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Whole 30-compliant fueling options [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no suggestions, but I made the mistake of trying to fuel on dates and nuts one time.

Was awesome until all that fiber hit my stomach. Lets just say I did the wrong kind of "run" off the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it a few times and found Larabars to work OK. Not ideal but I got by. You could also consider using real fruit juice and watering it down a little. I know they say only for a sweetening agent but the program isn't really aimed towards endurance athletes who need sustained carbs for long workouts. And on that note, I also found that it didn't impact much of anything to use some actual fuel for my longer workouts, especially if this isn't your first time doing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used RX bars. Some are compliant, some are not, so just check ingredients.

I used elite electrolytes. But I’m pretty sure you could just put some sea salt in your water bottle for the same effect.

Sweet potatoes work well too. I would bake thin chips and put them in a baggie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a number of Whole30 rounds and found that my body doesn't respond well to HEAVY training volume on only W30 complaint foods. I bonked hard on a bike ride once fueling with only dates and sweet potatoes. My body needs more sustained fuel like oatmeal and rice leading up to long rides and runs, but your results may vary. Honestly, I would cut your training volume back for the 30 days if you're serious about the W30, then pick back up after you're done the reintroduction phase with carbs that will fuel your body appropriately.
Quote Reply
Re: Whole 30-compliant fueling options [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This ^^^^

The wife has had to do some elimination diets to figure out the root cause of some GI issues, and did some version of whole 30 + a few other eliminated items, so I joined along for the W30 portion of it for moral support. Like the previous posters, I bonked hard when trying to go long/hard, and had to either scale back the workouts, or go out of compliance on those days. (I played along with all the rules for the first time we did W30 out of season, but for later rounds in season I would eat a little more liberally to fuel workouts)

I realize that some people are able to perform well on a keto/low carb/W30 diet, but it seems to take some time to get your body used to a dramatic change in diet vs. going for a 100 mile A-/B+ ride the first week on a W30 diet.

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a few whole 30's and I agree with others. I'd avoid intensity unless it's a very short workout. Just treat this as base training time and do lots of endurance efforts where you'll burn more fat and larabars and the such will be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
White potatoes are Whole30 compliant too, if you need some variety.
Something like Nuun would help get electrolytes with a pretty insignificant amount of sugar.
Whole30 can be a fun experiment, but if your goal isn't low-carb, you could also just separate food and fuel to eat Whole30 meals and fuel workouts normally.

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, I read through the post and it looks like a lot of the advice is spoken with 1/2 Iron and Full in mind. I am running 1/2 marathon tomorrow and by the time I hit my A race (Duke City Marathon) I will be well passed W30. My question is should I expect trouble in the last miles of the race tomorrow. I have felt great in training, but race pace to be a few ticks quicker.
Quote Reply
Re: Whole 30-compliant fueling options [Gigantes505] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on what you eat pre-race, I wouldn't worry about it. 13.1 miles isn't too bad, IMO. Obviously, that's largely dependent on how long your expected time will be and your effort. Trust your training this far and if you get in trouble, eat a banana or drink some orange juice w/o added sugar.

I finished W30 10 days ago.

I am back up 5 pounds.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You were right...was a non issue.

I thought not being able to rely on a Gu or sport drink late in the race was going to be a problem, but that wasn't either.

Thank you for your reply.

Derek
Quote Reply