Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pre- Classic
Quote | Reply
So I have been curious about how the fucking IAAF standpoint of no events past 3000m will affect the Prefontaine Classic. I can't find anything about the list of events to be run other than what's to be televised (I guess) on the diamond Leagues website. I saw a couple of websites say the 10000 and 5000 will be ran on Friday at Hayward whenever its reconstructed in the future, but this sunday the event is at Sanford and will only have the mens 2 mile and womens 3000?

Is this right?

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Pre- Classic [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I had more information but this is essentially what I heard while watching the DIamond League broadcast over the weekend. It seems odd to only run the shorter races at an event whos name sake was a distance runner.

Also, I'm not sure I understand the push towards exclusively sprints (I consider <=1500m a sprint, albeit a long one). I'm sure it has to do with the attention span of the average spectator, but it seems like people who are watching Diamond League are more likely to have a genuine interest in the whole gamut of events, not just the ones that last a minute or two.
Quote Reply
Re: Pre- Classic [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep- men's mile and 2-mile, women's 1500, 3k and 3k steeple:

https://preclassic.runnerspace.com/...251&event_id=120
Quote Reply
Re: Pre- Classic [erbrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
erbrown wrote:
I wish I had more information but this is essentially what I heard while watching the DIamond League broadcast over the weekend. It seems odd to only run the shorter races at an event whos name sake was a distance runner.

Also, I'm not sure I understand the push towards exclusively sprints (I consider <=1500m a sprint, albeit a long one). I'm sure it has to do with the attention span of the average spectator, but it seems like people who are watching Diamond League are more likely to have a genuine interest in the whole gamut of events, not just the ones that last a minute or two.

It's all about TV... As a long-time Pre Classic spectator/attendee, they've always tried to format the main portion of the meet so it squeezes neatly into a 2-hr live network broadcast window. Any 'excess' events (either longer races, or the occasional HS or Masters exhibition) were tacked onto the program earlier Saturday morning or the free session Friday night.
Quote Reply