Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much drag does a helmet visor (brim) cause?
Quote | Reply
Since I hit my 40s my vision is really affected by sun glare. I really need to shade my eyes or wear a cap to see well in bright sunlight. Sunglasses help a bit with light sensitivity, but just make things darker and I still need to shade my eyes to really see well.

I wear a basic Giro helmet with the plastic visor snapped on it. Definitely not aero. Just wondering of an affect that has when racing. I choose safety/ability to see clearly over aerodynamics, but still just wondering how much of an affect.

Also, open to suggestions from anyone who might have same issues with sun glare. Wondering if high quality polarized sunglasses might help, or a particular helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: How much drag does a helmet visor (brim) cause? [MattRnr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ0Iytpp3Z0

GCN at least gets into the semantics of hat flip up or down.

I wear a hat in summer now under the helmet to catch/funnel sweat. Without, it's hopeless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Visors are not good for drag, a cap with brim down is better, but if you aren't sweating the seconds, the visor is probably easier and something you are less likely to forget (like me!). Every time I really need a cap I seem to have forgotten to bring one

Also, had a good friend diagnosed with macular degeneration exacerbated by years of significant sun exposure from triathlon and surfing. His eye doctor recommended he move to the Oakley black polarized for minimal light transfer (9%) and also said that the Fire Polarized lens at 10% light transfer is very popular with people who have macular degeneration as it offers improved contrast and depth.

I've never used either, but his experience has certainly made me rethink outdoor activity without sunglasses.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not as much drag as the rest of your body!
I would choose safety/vision over aerodynamics concerns.

Certain times of the year when it is still very hot I use an old cycling cap to cut that late afternoon glare - but with the headpart of the cap part cut away, so it's just a headband with the small visor. Used to do it back in day before helmets, it's made a comeback in the past few years though, I notice it on the super hot climbing stages.

I think Silca Joshs' suggestion also very good - are you in prescription lenses too?

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: How much drag does a helmet visor (brim) cause? [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses. Ill look into getting the polarized Oakleys or something similar. I do have a couple of cycling caps. Usually don't wear when actually riding, but think I'll try going with that instead of the helmet visor.

I've always been extremely myopic. The sun glare issue I've only really noticed as I got older. I wear contacts, so can get regular sunglasses.
Quote Reply