Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Good options for carrying phone while running? [georgereid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georgereid wrote:
If it is purely for safety reasons - being able to call for help - then is it worthwhile buying a cheap flip-phone on a pay-per-use plan ?

smaller, maybe lighter, easier to carry, less expensive to replace if you happen to: fall on it or lose it, or if it gets drenched in rain/sweat/electrolytes.
And you have a back-up for when your I-phone dies :-)

If I needed one of safety, this is what I would use. I hate even bringing my android phone for biking and its huge. Most of the time I just leave my phone at home for biking and never for riding. I did my first bike trip at age 18, 2500 km all across Europe and there was no way of me contacting the rest of the world and no way for the world to contact me. No one even knew where I was. I usually barely knew where I was. It all worked out. Risk of something happening is really reallly low. for running its almost non existent. But I understand how the phone can provide comfort. I know having it while riding, there is comfort, but the reality is that if something happens, there are countless phones coming by on other bikes or cars.
Quote Reply
Re: Good options for carrying phone while running? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the past 3.5 years I've mostly been using a BOB jogging stroller. There's plenty of room in there for whatever size phone you have, plus room for water, milk, diapers, snacks and a small human companion. Not the best for rough trails, but for smooth trails, MUPs, sidewalks and other places is great.

In the off chance I'm not pushing something, the arm band is my go-to. You can use wired or wireless headphones, or sometimes I'll use the phone speaker aimed upwards. This is especially useful when it's really hot and you don't want to sweat into your headphones (or your 3-yo is riding a bike with you on your run and you need to be able to communicate with him...). If I don't have an armband, I'll hold my phone. Running with it in my pocket gets annoying very quickly, and I don't feel like wearing a belt. Everyone is different though so you may need to try a few things. If you are comfortable running with a hydration belt, then adding a phone won't be a big deal.

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did you end up getting? How do you like it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put the phone in a small 2L camelbak- don’t fill it up too much if you don’t want weight.

I rarely run with a camelbak or a phone anymore though and just play music off of my Garmin watch. For safety reasons I bring my ID and long runs bring a credit card if I need to stop as I don’t have the payment setup on my watch.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Good options for carrying phone while running? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
georgereid wrote:
If it is purely for safety reasons - being able to call for help - then is it worthwhile buying a cheap flip-phone on a pay-per-use plan ?

smaller, maybe lighter, easier to carry, less expensive to replace if you happen to: fall on it or lose it, or if it gets drenched in rain/sweat/electrolytes.
And you have a back-up for when your I-phone dies :-)

If I needed one of safety, this is what I would use. I hate even bringing my android phone for biking and its huge. Most of the time I just leave my phone at home for biking and never for riding. I did my first bike trip at age 18, 2500 km all across Europe and there was no way of me contacting the rest of the world and no way for the world to contact me. No one even knew where I was. I usually barely knew where I was. It all worked out. Risk of something happening is really reallly low. for running its almost non existent. But I understand how the phone can provide comfort. I know having it while riding, there is comfort, but the reality is that if something happens, there are countless phones coming by on other bikes or cars.

I had the unfortunate experience 2 days ago while running outdoors at 5AM, of rolling my ankle pretty badly despite having a good headlamp. Didn't fall, but I nearly did and had to stop immediately.

My new Garmin 945 watch (just got it a month ago) has a "crash detection" feature that I never thought I'd use, but it immediately tried to contact my wife to tell her I might be injured.

Alas, I was unfortunately going 'old school', and left my phone at home. No cellular GPS on this Garmin watch. Which totally, utterly sucked, as I ended up walking nearly 2 miles home on a really bad ankle, and now I can barely walk at all. So much for all the good training I've doen for the past 3 months for an upcoming race.

Definitely am bringing the phone with me in the future, particularly on early runs. And am happy that my Garmin has crash detection on it - didn't think it would work for running, but it does, which is good.
Quote Reply
Re: Good options for carrying phone while running? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
Put the phone in a small 2L camelbak- don’t fill it up too much if you don’t want weight.

I rarely run with a camelbak or a phone anymore though and just play music off of my Garmin watch. For safety reasons I bring my ID and long runs bring a credit card if I need to stop as I don’t have the payment setup on my watch.

I ended up going with a spybelt. It works fine. I mainly take my phone with my if I'm on a pre-dawn run or after dark run or any situation where there is nobody else around. I mainly get worried if I'm on some pre-dawn run where I would fall and injure and ankle badly or something.
Quote Reply

Prev Next