Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SOS Cape Cod
Quote | Reply
Who's in? From previous threads I know a few were considering it. I'm registered and really stoked for it, although starting to get nervous about some of the logistics, like do I swim in my shoes?

Is there any interest in a little post-race ST meet-up?
Quote Reply
Re: SOS Cape Cod [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Not sure what to do with the run / swim thing and the shoes as well. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: SOS Cape Cod [some_devil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
some_devil wrote:
I'm in. Not sure what to do with the run / swim thing and the shoes as well. Any suggestions?

My plan is to swim in my shoes. I have an old pair of Inov-8 tri shoes that drain really well and I know I can wear them without socks. Not planning to use a wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
some_devil wrote:

My plan is to swim in my shoes. I have an old pair of Inov-8 tri shoes that drain really well and I know I can wear them without socks. Not planning to use a wetsuit.

I am not racing it, logistics were too difficult for me with needing a helper. I have done SOS regular edition . . . experimented swimming in a pair of Nike Frees (which I used for the event) and quickly abandoned the idea. Most people stuff them down their shorts. I actually stuffed mine up my short legs. I have read that most of the best Swim-Run people do keep their shoes on though, so whatever works for you.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: SOS Cape Cod [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:
some_devil wrote:

I am not racing it, logistics were too difficult for me with needing a helper. I have done SOS regular edition . . . experimented swimming in a pair of Nike Frees (which I used for the event) and quickly abandoned the idea. Most people stuff them down their shorts. I actually stuffed mine up my short legs. I have read that most of the best Swim-Run people do keep their shoes on though, so whatever works for you.

Was it just too awkward/difficult to swim with them on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:
some_devil wrote:

I'm in for SOS Cape Cod.
Coming up w/ a few of the regular SOS crowd for the inaugural event.

Since, due to the craptacular website that the regular SOS uses for registration, I didn't get into the original event for this year.
GRRRRR.

Anyway - the vast majority of SOS vets stuff their run shoes into their kit somehow, rather than swim with them on.
My go-to is the 1 down the front, 1 down the back. Some stuff them into legs of tri shorts.
Some down the front or back of a 1-piece trisuit.
YMMV.

My first SOS was in '07, and I tried doing the last swim w/ my shoes on (Nike Free's, btw), and it SUCKED.
That said - I have seen folks swim (right by me) with their shoes on, so practice doing both ways, and determine what works best for you.

Unless it's frigid, you wouldn't want to have to deal w/ a wetsuit.
If it's cold, one of those swim/run suits would probably be ideal.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: SOS Cape Cod [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:
some_devil wrote:

I'm in for SOS Cape Cod.

Since, due to the craptacular website that the regular SOS uses for registration, I didn't get into the original event for this year.
GRRRRR.

Anyway - the vast majority of SOS vets stuff their run shoes into their kit somehow, rather than swim with them on.
My go-to is the 1 down the front, 1 down the back. Some stuff them into legs of tri shorts.
YMMV.

My first SOS was in '07, and I tried doing the last swim w/ my shoes on (Nike Free's, btw), and it SUCKED.
That said - I have seen folks swim (right by me) with their shoes on, so practice doing both ways, and determine what works best for you.

Thanks. My thought was if my shoes are going to get wet either way I might as well just leave them on my feet, but it sounds like most people find that pretty unpleasant. I'll give a try both ways.

On a side note and not necessarily to you specifically - is it a bad look to swim in my gym pool with sneakers on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:
some_devil wrote:

I'm in for SOS Cape Cod.

GRRRRR.

YMMV.

Thanks. My thought was if my shoes are going to get wet either way I might as well just leave them on my feet, but it sounds like most people find that pretty unpleasant. I'll give a try both ways.

On a side note and not necessarily to you specifically - is it a bad look to swim in my gym pool with sneakers on?

Do it, maybe you'll make the "Strange Denizens of the Pool" thread.
Quote Reply
Re: SOS Cape Cod [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who here took part? How did it go? Looked to be a killer venue and format.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: SOS Cape Cod [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I'd love to know as well. I grew up just off Cape. I've been battling plantar fasciitis or I would have signed up for it this year. Next year I'm in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced on Saturday, it was a blast but significantly harder than I anticipated. The course was awesome. Bike had a little bit of everything, started out twisty and hilly but moved into some really fast sections including a massive tailwind coming back in from Ptown. The first run was a killer - pretty much all singletrack with lots of punchy up and downhills. The swims were beautiful. Clear water, calm conditions and 70 degrees.

There were a few logistical challenges which isn’t uncommon for a first year race, and nothing I wouldn’t expect them to address for next year. I’m guessing this will become a classic race like the original SOS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SOS Cape Cod was a really good time!

Now, coming from a certified RockFish, and the President of Total Aversion, you might be surprised to hear me say that, but it's true!

Winning time was just under 3 hours, vs the original SOS is typically around 4.5 hours, so more like the Oly + version of SOS, vs the original which is more like a Half.
I very much enjoyed it having shorter swims & runs, since it made the bike leg actually matter, rather than just be the apertif before the main course like it is in NY.

As was said, there were plenty of first time minor glitches, but nothing earth shattering, and overall the race went off very well.
The bike was surprisingly hilly and twisty for the first 6 miles or so, then just grinding it out up to P-Town into a pretty solid headwind - which made for a nitrous fueled return trip.
(sadly, much shorter than the out part, since the bike finish had to be where the trailhead for Run 1 was.)

Overall a fast and fair bike course - I started in the last wave, and passed the majority of the field on the bike, but without any issues.
Didn't see any egregious drafting going on.

First run was pretty tough, but fun.
Very soft sand early on, which mixed with some punchy hills up and down, and then some really toight singletrack, made for a fun challenge.
The 2nd run was decent, 3rd a bit contrived, since it basically reversed the last part of Run 2 to get back to the other lake.
Last run was on paved road, but with hills both up and down, finishing with a climb to the finish line.

Water was comfy temps, and crystal clear.
All 3 swims were good, but the middle one was just a triangle out and back to the same start/end point, so that was kinda disappointing.
Apparently that was a last minute race morning decision, since the maps showed it to be across the lake.
Last swim was a dogleg R - I got passed by my buddy Dr Mike about halfway across, and he ended up beating me by that differential, and took the OA win by about :40 seconds.

Overall, a very enjoyable event, that I'll most likely do again next year.
They did a pretty good job keeping the flavor of SOS, while customizing it to the terrain at hand.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply