Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suggestions wanted for Oxnard swimming and running
Quote | Reply
Hey all,
Heading to Oxnard in early July for a week and look for any recommendations on places to swim and run. Thanks!

S

Banger
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions wanted for Oxnard swimming and running [banger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What part of Oxnard? Best place to swim will likely be the Ventura Aquatic Center. Oxnard High School usually has summer lap swimming, but they are re-doing the pool this summer so it's closed. The Ventura Aquatic Center is a wonderful facility, though, with a good Masters program that works out M-F from 5:30 AM to 7:00 AM (also a Saturday workout but I'm not sure of the time). Lap swimming is also available, usually with plenty of lane space. As for running, it will depend on where you are in Oxnard.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions wanted for Oxnard swimming and running [HeidiC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About 5 min walk to mandalas beach I guess. That help? I’ll check out Ventura pool, thanks!

Banger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pools:
https://www.cityofventura.ca.gov/612/Aquatics
Article on all pools in the area:
https://www.conejovalleyguide.com/...oughout-ventura.html
Or, you can just get in touch with Rachel (rachel@hypercat.com) and Phil at Hypercat Racing and cycleworks in Ventura.
They both know the area really well, and are familiar w all the training grounds, groups, etc. And if you need a bike fit while you're there... Phil's your guy.

Have fun!

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i second the ventura aquatic center rec. Great pool. Used it while there for work a few times
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jun 25, 19 9:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree on the recommendation to check with Phil and Rachel Casanta of Hypercat for info. I'm a little up the hill from there, so not the best authority. For running, you could drive to San Buenaventura State Beach and run on a bike path next to the ocean all the way to Santa Barbara. There's also a bike path close to Mandalay State Beach that goes in the other direction, towards Channel Islands Harbor, but I'm not sure how long it is. Phil and Rachel would be able to tell you.

If you want to swim in the ocean, bring a wetsuit. Water temp is typically high 50s to low 60s this time of year. I hope our June Gloom clears for you. We have been socked in with fog/drizzle for weeks (I'm not complaining).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As other have suggested the Aquatic Center on Kimball Rd (Ventura Community Park) is a beautiful facility for swimming. You can even pair a run with your swim by running on park property and there is a bike path that goes out the back end of the park and you can do a nice out and back without risking losing your bearings in an unfamiliar place. Other than Kimball, if you are a YMCA member or are interested in a guest pass...there is a pool at the Ventura Family YMCA on Telegraph Rd. (Ventura). Lane availability is a bit more suspect due to swim lessons etc, but an option nonetheless.

As for cycling...it all depends on what you'd like to do, there are some great loops/routes that include the coast and hills...From Oxnard you could head into Ventura via Harbor Blvd and then wind through Pierpont/Ventura Keys, the Ventura Promenade and then up the bike path, along the Rincon (RT1) and continue riding along the ocean up to Bates Rd. From there, the choice is your (head back, head inland up some climbs or continue north).

Lastly, there are at least two run races happening on the 4th of July - The Ventura Promenade 5k and there is the Fourth of July 5k in the Channel Islands.

Feel free to drop us a line at Hypercat Cycleworks / Hypercat Racing for further info...we'd be happy to help.

:) Rachel

Rachel Sears Casanta
www.hypercat.com
805-477-0353
rachel@hypercat.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That Ventura pool is great, and there is a vibrant masters group in the city, lots of national champions..But of course there is the ocean, port Hueneme up to silver strand has some great spots to go for nice, long swims. Running is very good if you hit some of the canyon trails south towards Malibu. Or you can go up in the hills east a bit. Other than that, you can run bike paths right along the ocean, or of course the sand..
Quote Reply