Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First FedEx experience
Quote | Reply
Mid April I ordered disc covers from Wheelbuilder. I was pretty excited so I kept tracking my shipment. Admittedly, It took a bit longer than expected to get them to Europe, but with Easter and everything I didn't think too much of it. At last the package arrived in Sweden and I was checking my phone like a 14year old who's just sent a risky text to his crush.

This is where my story gets weird. Being a Harry Potter fan, I have always wondered what happened to the invisibility cloak after Harrys period at Hogwarts. So when FedEx claimed they had been at my door, trying to deliver my package, I didn't treat this claim with enough scepticism. "Maybe I didn't pay enough attention to the door bell?" I Scheduled another delivery and decided to stay home all day to be ready. Phone fully charged, coffee prepared for 12 hours of direct and undivided attention. Day turns to evening and evening to night. Nothing. The following day I receive another email that says that they were unable to deliver my package. Unable?

At this point there are but 2 options:

1) My Harry Potter mystery has finally been solved

2) We have a delivery problem.

I call FedEx (I don't introduce the Harry Potter hypothesis. From my experience you always benefit from being polite) and ask if they can deliver the package to the local post office. This is ok with them and I expect to get a notification pretty soon.

It takes more than a week. In the meantime I get a bill from customs. Great. Extra expenses for the rich student.

When I finally get the notification, I literally run down to the post office. I show my ID and give the guy behind the counter my tracking number. He walks over to a box and picks up...........an envelope. Sure, I'm pretty dim, but even I understand that wheel covers won't fit in a small envelope. The shock I felt must have been pretty obvious, because counter guy asks me "Not what you were expecting"? I don't think I even replied, just take the package and turn around while my mind is exploding. Why? What? Watts? I walk out and find a bench, sit down and open the envelope. In it, there is a card on which it says "I truly am sorry".

Then it hits me.

I start to laugh. Uncontrollably and wholeheartedly. The guys behind wheelbuilders have scammed me big time. Not only that; they have taken the insult a step further; they have written a letter in which they mock me, just to make it sting a bit more. I start clapping like a retarded seal while I salute the effort. After a minute or so (the joke is still extremely funny) reality gets to me. I don't want to be in the wrong end of a scam. I need to do something, but what?

Hold on a second. The custom bill. That's hard to fake. Then I recall reading about people getting the wrong package and I start to investigate the card a bit more. It is not adressed to me. Yes! I call FedEx and they are really sorry. But the pressing matter seems to be to retrieve their package. This time it is a lot easier to find me and some guy up in the north is probably happy about it. Guy on the phone is friendly and assures me that everything is being done to locate my package.

Imagine that. Having all the resources at FedEX being used to find your package. I felt quite special.

The same guy calls me the following day, and a few times the week after, to give me updates. Eventually they find my package and everything will be sorted. We have to go through the whole story a few times, so at some point we end up on a first name basis and I start to like the guy. I sit back and wait. And wait.

And wait.

Today I wasn't having it any longer, so I call FedEx. Girl picks up and tells me that the package has been sent back to the US. It takes a second, then I burst into laughter again, I shit you not, the same type of laugh as before. I don't believe her. This just can't be true. I ask to talk to the dude I am on a first name basis with. Turns out he is on holidays and some stand in shipped my package back to the US. No jokes here.

It is true.

Sooooo, if you have followed all the way here, what TF do I do? Race season starts this Saturday (which is why I ordered the disc covers in the first place). I will have to fix something locally, but can I expect to get a full refund from Wheelbuilder? According to lady at Fedex they will cover the custom bill.

Oh, and best part. My power meter pedals are on their way from Italy.

With FedEx
Last edited by: Schnellinger: Jun 26, 19 10:22
Quote Reply
Re: First FedEx experience [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raltech still up and running? It's UK based and they do carbon disc covers. Looks like $140 GBP and avoids the US to Europe part.

RON is from Poland I think, may be worth a look. Their disc wheels are pretty inexpensive and "local" to Europe. Poland is in the EU.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did the letter say?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: First FedEx experience [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought about getting a wheelbuilder disc cover. Just save up more and get a real disc. I don't know what other people think, but it's cheesy and looks like a gimmick to me. No offense to the owners. It's just what I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who selected the method of shipment?
Quote Reply
Re: First FedEx experience [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I race with one. Yea it does look cheesy, but for a fraction of the price of a decent disc I can get almost all the benefits.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: First FedEx experience [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They selected the method of shipment. They have been remarkably quick and helpful though. Sent them an email earlier today and have already got my money back. They were very sorry and inquired about the custom bill as well.

The letter had some riddles in Mandarine. I don't know what it says.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:

The letter had some riddles in Mandarine. I don't know what it says.

Wow, that sucks. But, I (like you) can't help but laugh (still giggling trying to type). AND...I'm intrigued by these mandarin riddles. Please post these riddles! Someone must translate them for posterity...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GTN has a video on how to make your own cover. If you can source the plastic sheets that seems the quickest way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwvt1FIxoCA

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: First FedEx experience [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! I should have taken pictures of the card, but I didn't consider the potential of the story at the time. Wonder if FedEx could help me get in contact with the guy to get some answers..

I am probably naive, but when they told me they would use all their manpower to retrieve my package, I thought it would be important to them to get it back to me too.
Quote Reply
Re: First FedEx experience [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I thought about getting a wheelbuilder disc cover. Just save up more and get a real disc. I don't know what other people think, but it's cheesy and looks like a gimmick to me. No offense to the owners. It's just what I think.

Yeah, definitely a gimmick. I sure wish a former pro triathlete had tested it on a set of 808s vs a 900 disc and posted results on Slowtwitch. Would have been ironic if the cover on the 808s was faster. Oh, wait...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems very odd that they selected FedEx.

I almost always use Priority Mail for international shipments. Pretty fast and less expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger, you're a good story teller-especially in your second language
Quote Reply
Re: First FedEx experience [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trust me, the story gets waaaaaay better in Norwegian ;) But thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: First FedEx experience [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
GTN has a video on how to make your own cover. If you can source the plastic sheets that seems the quickest way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwvt1FIxoCA

Problem is the plastic sheets come from the US.....via FedEx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple of interesting things at play here that make this not exactly FedEx or Wheelbuilder's fault, or at least they didn't knowingly cause this and here's why..

One of the unseen/unknown pieces of fallout from the US president's choices on tariffs and such has been that other countries have chosen to retaliate in various ways through tweaks either to laws or standards or other areas of trade and commerce. One of the most common retaliations was for countries to modify or change the way they handle something called the 'de minimis' which is the minimum value that something can come into a country and not be subject to scrutiny for taxes, tariffs, duties, paperwork fees, etc.

In many countries in Europe, de minimis values used to be in the few hundred Euro up to maybe 800 euro or so.. so you could order something from the US for $400 and it would sail through, landing at your door step through Norwegian post at no extra cost. Now, with the changes, many countries, especially Norway, Finland, Germany and the UK, have either lowered the de minimis or have changed the enforcement of fees on an existing value. Germany for example has lowered theirs from 200Euro to 20Euro, in the UK it has always been 15 pounds, but was never enforced from my experience until about 12 months ago. So what happens is the government instructs the post to begin collecting this on these parcels and from what we've seen, it is being collected probably 25-30% of the time, and in those cases the buyer almost always decides to return it as the fees can add up to be more than the product itself depending on what paperwork fees the post office decides to apply.

With both UPS and Fedex, the best way to ship to Europe is to do it by a method that ships by UPS or Fedex aircraft and then relies on the local post to deliver. This is typically faster than post and has previously avoided duties and such, but not so much anymore. Same thing is true of shipments via post, we are seeing them get caught up 25-30% of the time.

Your other option is to ship 'door to door' by UPS or Fedex which guarantees you will pay the duties and such. To put it in perspective, a 1 lb parcel by USPS or Fedex local deliver (delivered by post) will ship to Europe for $25-35, to ship this same package by UPS or Fedex (or DHL) door to door, will cost $45-60 + another $30-40 in paperwork, taxes, duties, etc.

Having said all of that, Wheelbuilder was doing what worked last year, our company does the same and it still works maybe 70% of the time, but when it doesn't, it's a mess. Similarly, FedEx was performing to the service which was paid for, which 'delivered' your package to the Post office which is why you got the delivery tracking email that you got, but of course, this doesn't mean what anybody else would call 'delivered'!

So sorry for your frustration with all of this, companies on this side of the pond are dealing with this at ever greater rates and it just doesn't seem to be getting better anytime soon.
Josh

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: First FedEx experience [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for some great insight, Josh. I didn't know any of this. I have an issue with the tactics though, since their retaliation more directly affects their inhabitants than the current US office. But I guess the incitament is to have people stop ordering from the US which again has an impact on the president. I totally get that things can happen, and Wheelbuilder has been nothing but exemplary in their way of handling this.

The mixup at FedEs is understandable too. I bet they normally are better at getting the delivery right.

The part where my wheel covers were sent pack to the US was just a bit too much, considering all the other incidents. Somehow I understand that as long as people are involved, these things can happen. Just frustrating to be a part of it :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:
Thanks for some great insight, Josh. I didn't know any of this. I have an issue with the tactics though, since their retaliation more directly affects their inhabitants than the current US office. But I guess the incitament is to have people stop ordering from the US which again has an impact on the president. I totally get that things can happen, and Wheelbuilder has been nothing but exemplary in their way of handling this.

The mixup at FedEs is understandable too. I bet they normally are better at getting the delivery right.

The part where my wheel covers were sent pack to the US was just a bit too much, considering all the other incidents. Somehow I understand that as long as people are involved, these things can happen. Just frustrating to be a part of it :)

In my neck of the woods, there's simply no such thing as UPS or FedEx or DHL all the way to my door. They come into the country via UPS/FedEx/DHL and then get handed off to regional/local postal service as Josh details. I've never had one turn pear-shaped like yours, but it's frustrating/scary every single time as it's "delivered" at that initial handoff and then tracking becomes somewhere between poor and non-existent, and then it shows up (unless customs wants their bit, of course).

(edit: typo)

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Last edited by: renorider: Jun 27, 19 0:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a bummer! Hope you get something sorted.

DHL & DPD are the best in my experience. DHL are pricey, but very good when I sent my pedals to Italy & back ;-)

29 years and counting
Quote Reply