Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Xterra Tahoe City
Quote | Reply
This is kind of last minute, but reading here about off road tri piqued my interest, and then I saw Xterra Lake Tahoe, or Tahoe City, so I signed up, and obviously paid a lot of attention to where it was being held. Pretty sure it is called Tahoe City.

Anyway, anyone here that has done an Xterra, any good tips on how these are different, other than don't bring my TT bike. Just a different bike and its all off-road, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Tahoe City [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The xterra tri world is really cool. You will love it. I dont know about nor have I done that specific one, but generally they are well organized and run no matter what. Meaning, no wimping out on the swim if its chilly or wavy or windy... plan to do all 3 events of the tri

The swim is usually a 2 loop affair. Usually.

If you have not done any mnt biking.. it will prob be quite intimidating but manageable (if you ask me) but i have done a lot of mnt biking in my day.

The run is typically off road and sometimes follows the same trails you just rode on. But one never knows.

The community is friendly and laid back and you will be worked over the event.

Good Luck
Let us know how it goes.

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xterra Tahoe City is one of my favorite races! It's a beautiful course in a wonderful location!

It is tough, though. Tahoe Lake is at ~6000 feet and since it is in a basin, the start of both the bike and run is uphill at altitude. Go easy and keep your heart rate at a manageable level. At some points in the uphill portion of the run, I "power" walked, did not get passed nor did I lose much to anyone in front of me. Once it leveled out, I pass quite a few as my heart-rate hadn't spiked on the climb. Kind of the same on the bike. The bike isn't very technical, but there's a couple of rocky uphill sections.

If you have time after the race, float the Truckee River!

I've not done Xterra Lake Tahoe, but it used to be the Western Championships course (I think). Out of Incline Village, the bike climbed up to the Flume Trail and around Marlette Lake. I've ridden the route before, just mt. biking, but I think this course is much more challenging and technical requiring some intermediate/advance mt. biking skills.

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on the bike course, the swim can be more important than a typical tri in the sense that you might get stuck behind slower riders on singletrack if you don’t come out of the water near the front of the pack. I’m a MOP swimmer and I’ve had to pick through some slower riders at my local Xterra. The good news is the vibe is pretty laid back and most people are happy to let you pass if you ask them and do it when there’s enough room to be safe.
Quote Reply