Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Been to Corfu, Greece?
Quote | Reply
Looking into going back to Greece to visit with some friends. Would like to stay in Corfu, and my friends are so familiar with the island.

Anyone been? General recommendations? Preference for the northeast over the west coast over the mainland-side?

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Been to Corfu, Greece? [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't been to Corfu, but when I was a young kid in school in Cyprus we had a book read to us by our teacher. Storyline took place in Corfu, and I remember really looking forward to that class and imagining being in Corfu.

The book was, "My Family And Other Animals", by Gerald Durrell. Also a movie version (but I have not seen that).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent a day there about 20 years ago so I can't offer much, but it's on the list of places I'd like to go back to and explore a bit more. It was a stop on a cruise I took around the Adriatic and Mediterranean. We really just spent the day walking around the Old Town of Corfu and taking in as much of the local flavor of the city as much as we could in a single day. It seemed much more like Italy that some of the more mainstream Greek cities and touristy areas. It was a very interesting place and I'd love to go back but can't really much than that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twice, about 30 years ago so probably totally irrelevant and useless to you at this point (once was a drunken 2-week lads' vacation after graduating HS, and again the following summer with my then-girlfriend). Both times in Dassia, first was an apartment/villa in a citrus orchard up on a hill above town, second in a beachfront hotel.

As mentioned above, Corfu Town is good for just wandering around and exploring. When I was there the first time we all rented mopeds and rode all over the island, including hopping around the bars and clubs in Ipsos at night. Probably not the smartest idea looking back, but we were invincible back then. The interior of the island was pretty cool to see, with some beautiful lookout points etc in the mountains.

The next time I went we stayed the first few nights in a bungalow on the hotel grounds, which got burgled one night while we were out at the bars. We moved into the main building of the hotel. Fairly minor PITA (her parents were also with us but staying in another part of the hotel so we had a source of money while we got our travelers checks replaced) but we wasted a couple of days dealing with police/bank etc in Corfu Town. Not sure if that kind of thing is still a problem there but worth keeping in mind as far as leaving valuables etc in your room. Signed up for waterski lessons one day through the hotel and ended up hanging out with the instructors a couple of nights, including a ski-boat trip to a locals bar in a secluded cove somewhere up the cost from Dassia, which was a nice break from the tourist bars.

At the time, Benitses was the big party town on the island so might want to avoid that.
Quote Reply
Re: Been to Corfu, Greece? [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
Haven't been to Corfu, but when I was a young kid in school in Cyprus we had a book read to us by our teacher. Storyline took place in Corfu, and I remember really looking forward to that class and imagining being in Corfu.

The book was, "My Family And Other Animals", by Gerald Durrell. Also a movie version (but I have not seen that).

A TV show has been made of his memoirs of living in Corfu. Called The Durrells on ITV or The Durrells of Corfu on PBS.
But a show about an English family moving there between the fall of the Ottoman empire and WWII might not be too useful
Quote Reply