Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fix your run in the swim - Vertical Kicking
Quote | Reply
Hardly on my top 20 things to do is vertical kicking (VK)
For some reason, I did a set to see if I could kick to save my life - that is keep my head above water.
That set morphed into a bit of a challenge - how long could I " " .

So after a few days of 2-3 sets of VK, I went for a run.
Out of the gate, things felt great a marked reduction in effort - that I attribute to the sets of VK.

And I thought, really there is no better way to do a truly 50/50 effort with the legs and in particular engage the glutes and "posterior" chain. PT& I have been working on that in the gym - but not like this.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fix your run in the swim - Vertical Kicking [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should be an awesome runner. Sadly, that’s not the case.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Fix your run in the swim - Vertical Kicking [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you truly vertical kick with proper posture? Arms around your chest?
Kickboard is different. Vertical with fins is good too.

It obviously won't address the knee-down conditioning, single leg stability, balance, form/timing etc. which are requirements as well.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. I do vertical kicking with at least my hands out of the water. No fins. Occasionally with my elbows out.

I don’t do it much, but I’m good at it.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, vertical kicking is truly a different type of intense workout. In the Tower 26 program, we do a decent amount of vertical kicking sets over the winter. Usually something like 30 sec vertical kick straight into a hard 25, rest 15 sec, repeat. I am a decent swimmer, but had never done any vertical kicking before. They kicked my butt hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

How does one vertical kick in a pool that is only 5' deep at its deepest :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Fix your run in the swim - Vertical Kicking [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
No. I do vertical kicking with at least my hands out of the water. No fins. Occasionally with my elbows out.

Jason, have you ever done streamlined vertical kick? It was easier 20 years ago I'm sure but I tried some 10s intervals last time I was at the pool. Dolphin is even harder.

Not sure there's a triathlon application for it, but for the Masters super sprint 25's it might be one of the most worthwhile leg expenditures you'll ever do in the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having seen you swim (video only), I think the problem is your posture in the water.

But that could also be related to your speedos.
Last edited by: Schnellinger: Jun 25, 19 5:28
Quote Reply
Re: Fix your run in the swim - Vertical Kicking [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Jason, have you ever done streamlined vertical kick? It was easier 20 years ago I'm sure but I tried some 10s intervals last time I was at the pool. Dolphin is even harder.

Not sure there's a triathlon application for it, but for the Masters super sprint 25's it might be one of the most worthwhile leg expenditures you'll ever do in the pool.

I've done it, many years ago. Last time was probably in university, but I *might* have done it about 13 years ago when I briefly returned to masters swimming for about 6 months, before my schedule changed and I couldn't make it to practice anymore. I honestly don't recall.

It was hard then. it would be really friggin hard now... Thanks for the reminder about those, I think....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Fix your run in the swim - Vertical Kicking [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:
Having seen you swim (video only), I think the problem is your posture in the water.

But that could also be related to your speedos.

The issue is my fabulous buttocks.....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t do it much, but I’m good at it
---

I'm much better at it now that I'm fatter.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply