Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eroc43 wrote:

Now I am not sure where they would put a race, plenty of lakes obviously, but I am not sure of too many places you could put a 2,500 person transition + parking and then have a good bike course after. But I am sure they can figure it out.

I'm trying to remember the name of the lake, but does Lake Wilderness just outside Seattle seem right?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, there is an Olympic at Lake Wilderness, it is about 30 min outside of Seattle, and the riding out there is great (part of my regular riding routes) but the longest swim you could get there would be about 1.4 miles. I guess you could do 2 laps.
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lake Sammamish State Park is big enough, conveniently accessed by motor vehicles, has hotels nearby , has off road running (though part of the East Lake Sammamish Trail is being reconstructed), cycling suitable roads (some of which have significant elevation)...but also the town with nation’s richest median income. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but my experience of NIMBYs leads me to believe it would be a massive undertaking to get a race that size permitted in that area. Prove me wrong suburbanites!
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree on Lake Sammamish, but think they would go to the other end, and have it at Marymoor, no less rich of an area, but very used to having thousands of people there for events. You could also have the finish at Redmond Town Center. I am sure non of these are real options. But it is fun to talk about!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eroc43 wrote:
Seattle one of the wettest cities in America??
Have you been to Seattle? Tulsa, Woodlands, Louisville, all get more rain than Seattle. And from July to September it rains 2-3 times most years. And the most rain in a day on record is 1.7 inches. Houston gets that in an hour during major storm.
Now I am not sure where they would put a race, plenty of lakes obviously, but I am not sure of too many places you could put a 2,500 person transition + parking and then have a good bike course after. But I am sure they can figure it out.

https://www.currentresults.com/...remes/US/wettest.php

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...places-us-this-year/

https://www.statista.com/...the-most-rainy-days/

Sure the stats for "totals" naturally will be along the gulf coast and/or the East coast. When it comes to total number of days with rain, i.e wet roads and soggy conditions, Seattle is right up there. Yes, been there a few times. Each trip reminded me of the time I've spent making the rounds on Islay.
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [mjbruiser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of the places listed are more than an hour from where any race would likely be. Seattle's annual rainfall is 38In. Yes, a lot of days of rain, but most of them are in the winter, and I don't think they would plan IM Seattle for November or December.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eroc43 wrote:
Most of the places listed are more than an hour from where any race would likely be. Seattle's annual rainfall is 38In. Yes, a lot of days of rain, but most of them are in the winter, and I don't think they would plan IM Seattle for November or December.

It is Lake Wilderness in September. There is a thread with links to town council meetings that have details about the town officials meeting with Ironman.

I'm searching for the thread now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
City of Maple Valley, WA has been negotiating with Ironman. Look for a PDF titled "City Hall Updates - October 14, 2019" :

"Met with Ironman Triathlon officials to discuss the potential of hostng a 70.3 (half triathlon) in September
2020 at Lake Wilderness. "

Last edited by: japarker24: Oct 23, 19 9:21
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [mjbruiser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing about rain in the PNW like Seattle (where I have been a number of times) and Portland (where I lived for a few years), is that the number of days it rains is high, the amount of rain isn't ever that much. It's just such a light rain that you don't really notice that you're getting wet until you've been out for a while. Most people who live there tend to not even bother with umbrellas. That, and if they put the race in May-August, precipitation shouldn't be an issue. Having done a hot (90 degree) ironman, I think I might actually prefer racing 10 hours in a PNW rain/mist instead. Of course this is assuming the roads they choose for the bike wouldn't be slick.

As for a 3rd site, wonder if the city if Boise would be up for consideration? They had a 70.3 for a number of years. It's in the same state as Coeur d' Alene, but realistically they are not close (7+ hour drive and the fastest route is to leave the state and go through Washington and Oregon). Drivable from SF, Las Vegas, Salt Lake, Portland, and Seattle. I'm guessing a pretty low likelihood compared to Boulder, Seattle area, or Tahoe. But a thought. Though I think one of the last races they held there was so cold the bike was shortened and even the pro's just kept their wetsuit on for the bike portion.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd site for rotating Ironman NA Championship coming soon? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
City of Maple Valley, WA has been negotiating with Ironman. Look for a PDF titled "City Hall Updates - October 14, 2019" :

"Met with Ironman Triathlon officials to discuss the potential of hostng a 70.3 (half triathlon) in September
2020 at Lake Wilderness. "

I am surprised that they are targeting lake Wilderness simply due to the size of that park and lake... it's not that big. The Oly in June pretty much fills the park (and uses 90% of the lake but I am sure they can find another 300 yards if you stayed close to the shoreline the entire way.) The trail nearby makes for a nice run much like the Oly. I would think Lake Meriden park would have been a better venue size wise but I suppose it is closer to main roads that would need to be closed.

Quote | Reply
More information:

"Now, Philpot and the city of Maple Valley are trying to get Ironman to come to town.
She said the Ironman Company want to put a competition in Washington or Oregon in the near future, so “Why not Maple Valley,” Philpot explained.
Maple Valley is trying to partner with Renton. Philpot said Renton seems very supportive, but nothing has been finalized yet. The reasoning to partner with Renton is because it has all of the hotels.. . . "

Last edited by: japarker24: Oct 23, 19 10:12
Quote Reply

Prev Next