Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrierinKC wrote:
I thought the RD that did the HyVee and the Des Moines Triathlon (PEM out of Louisiana I believe) did a fantastic job, would love to see them do the half there.

Yep, that's one of the good ones. Bill Burke did a fantastic job. There are others that do a really good job too.
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Who gives an eff! If you attack the course any race is hard to include sprints and 5k’s.

hadukla wrote:
cchristen wrote:
Won't provide much of a challenging course???

Have you ridden in Iowa? 80-90deg +, 100% humidity, constant rolling terrain, and lots of wind.....If the pro athletes of the HyVee triathlon always found/said it was tough, I'm guessing most pros/amateurs for a half-distance race will find it "challenging."

All I did was read the description of the course on the website. I'm sure Iowa has terrain but it appears WTC is skipping most of it.

Someone whose strength is running might give an eff. A tougher run course would be to their benefit.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Hah, until I saw this, I totally forgot that without St.G 70.3 that there was no NA champs. Can't imagine des moines will provide much of a challenging course.

I also imagine that the roll-downs for NZ will be historical there since not a lot of NA-based athletes will be in the mood to go, this is a bit later in the qualifying season, and even with NA Champs status, it likely won't attract much talent outside of the Chicago, Minneapolis, KC areas. n=1, Even though I'm not a podium factor, it certainly doesn't feature on my list of destinations and NA champ status doesn't affect that at all.

Uh...New Zealand? There's a reason people didn't want to go to RSA, it's hella dangerous. New Zealand is amazing.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
hadukla wrote:
Hah, until I saw this, I totally forgot that without St.G 70.3 that there was no NA champs. Can't imagine des moines will provide much of a challenging course.

I also imagine that the roll-downs for NZ will be historical there since not a lot of NA-based athletes will be in the mood to go, this is a bit later in the qualifying season, and even with NA Champs status, it likely won't attract much talent outside of the Chicago, Minneapolis, KC areas. n=1, Even though I'm not a podium factor, it certainly doesn't feature on my list of destinations and NA champ status doesn't affect that at all.

Uh...New Zealand? There's a reason people didn't want to go to RSA, it's hella dangerous. New Zealand is amazing.

I did IM South Africa, I survived, it was actually quite beautiful and a nice trip.

But beyond just being stereotypical, I base my assumption on the fact that in 2021 it's back in the US in St. George, I feel like many Americans may make the choice to skip NZ in favor of waiting for St. G, especially since it seems many are doing Nice this year

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then skip Des Moines and you can stop trying to find reasons to whine. The rest of us will enjoy an inaugural championship race with a great atmosphere.

Since the course hasn’t been determined, don’t you think the bitching about the venue is a little preemptive?

hadukla wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
Who gives an eff! If you attack the course any race is hard to include sprints and 5k’s.

hadukla wrote:
cchristen wrote:
Won't provide much of a challenging course???

Have you ridden in Iowa? 80-90deg +, 100% humidity, constant rolling terrain, and lots of wind.....If the pro athletes of the HyVee triathlon always found/said it was tough, I'm guessing most pros/amateurs for a half-distance race will find it "challenging."

All I did was read the description of the course on the website. I'm sure Iowa has terrain but it appears WTC is skipping most of it.

Someone whose strength is running might give an eff. A tougher run course would be to their benefit.
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Then skip Des Moines and you can stop trying to find reasons to whine. The rest of us will enjoy an inaugural championship race with a great atmosphere.

Since the course hasn’t been determined, don’t you think the bitching about the venue is a little preemptive?

Calm down, I am simply stating the fact that it will be a flat course and that's not based on my personal opinion or view of Des Moines, I just read ironman's website.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always loved racing in Des Moines! They put on a good race and will draw a good crowd.
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [Camdyetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And that was one of the few races I've done where, as a scrappy age-grouper, I felt like a pro.

Great race you had that day, 2 minute lead starting the run!
Quote Reply

Prev Next