Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is the swim ruining my run? [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:

<snip>
If you can't run through transition, you're cooked. If you can't accelerate after the first few minutes warmup on the bike, you're cooked.

<snip>

That triggered something in my brain and I think answered a question I've often had during a race (but forgot about afterward). I'm a novice to competing in triathlons (a handful of sprint and olympics under my belt), but swimming is probably my strongest of the disciplines. Whenever I exit the water in the swim, I was always puzzled by the number of people (most, based on recollection) that don't immediately take off running, after getting their feet under them. I definitely have thought to myself at times when passing people who are walking to T1, "you know this is a race, right??" That isn't meant to be a mean thought, I just didn't think of it in terms that they might be so gassed that they wouldn't be able to run (i.e. I thought *I* might be doing it wrong).
Last edited by: tanzbodeli: Jun 25, 19 10:17
Quote Reply
Re: Is the swim ruining my run? [swimbikerunbonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim a 400 or more at the the end of the workout if you have a place to do so.

You need more swimming. Swim tired. Try to maintain swim form when tired. Have a cool down recovery swim. It's not your main swim set - do what others have said in regards to swimming.

A master champion IMer from FL posted on ST that he swam a 400 cool down and it was pretty well received on ST. I've been doing 4x100s to also practice pace/technique. It is way better than stretching after a workout for recovery.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the swim ruining my run? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the swim tired front, I've found that "reverse order" tris are really good for this---or doing a bike or run in the morning and a swim at lunch time. Usually limited by cramps later in the swim--but those cramps take longer and longer to rear their head as you get fitter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swimbikerunbonk wrote:
MadTownTRI wrote:
As a comparatively weak swimmer, Just do Chattanooga, Augusta, or Wilmington 70.3s. Those are all either down river or tidal current-assisted swims and half ironman races.

Everyone else has told you to swim more and they aren’t wrong. But nothing like a downhill swim to get you into T1 feeling fresh.

Double bonus for being a wetsuit (chatty 70.3 most years). But what about the trifecta of wetsuit, current aided, AND saltwater (IMNC 70.3)? I guess that explains why I’m going back to Wilmington in October, lol.

Yeah, thanks for those tips. I think I forgot to mention I'm based in the Netherlands. Lol

Haha. I'm Dutch, but live in Ontario. There's a saying here:

Quote:
Wooden shoes, wooden head, wouldn't listen

It rings more true than I care to admit. And this thread makes a lot more sense now.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tell you this reluctantly because you are looking for an elixir that does not exist. The sad answer is swim more swim harder.

But: most swimmers would benefit from a routine focusing on shoulder strength and mobility.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the swim ruining my run? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Well, you can, but you have to back waaaay off on the intensity in the swim on race day. But even that’s going to be difficult, learning to swim easy takes a certain amount of proficiency and time in the water.

Just bumping up the volume of the 2 swims per week you do now and adding a third will yield dividends. I don’t think you necessarily need to do 8k per week (although that would be great if you can swing it, but even getting up to 5k ( two 1500m sessions and a 2000m session) of decent quality work will be a tremendous improvement over where you are now.

As it stands, you’re doing 800m to 1400m per session. 800 is barely a warmup in swimming terms.

E.G.. I sometimes do LC 6x400 on 7 mins, the first one is a warm up, and feels horrendous coming in at 6.30. By the fifth, 6.15 feels slow.

800m is barely scratching the surface.

Even 2x2kms per week would be a start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swimbikerunbonk wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
swimbikerunbonk wrote:
I can outperform a lot of mediocre swimmers on a running only event, but they seem do their triathlon run legs minutes faster the I'm able to. What they are doing differently is what I'm trying to figure out. I know for a fact the don't spend six hours a week in the pool.

now you're being willfully obtuse.

They're not doing anything different than you... they're just better than you at triathlon.

There may be one or two of them who do zero swimming, and yet they're still better than you.

Stop comparing yourself to others... stop being so entitled.... you suck at triathlon, you've identified the reason why, so now you have to choose to fix it, or not.

Now wait a bit. You're a coach right? Do you work with athletes that are not top 10% of their age group. Because it sounds te me that you don't.

I'm saying I can kill a run after a bike, and absolutely suck if I swim 10 minutes before getting on that bike

You're saying the only solution to that specific problem is to swim 8k a week.

As I said, I value all advice I'm getting here, but sorry that's just madness

Im a little surprised a few coaches are suggesting such a big jump in swim volume. I will say ive never done that much swim volume. The old standard to look forward to when i started was 6k/week swimming. The important thing is to work towards doing more over time. As long as you are working towards swimming more if you need more improvement. And i will add, it is perfectly normal for someone who is not triathlon fit to run really slow compared to their open run times. In fact you need to be extremely fit just to come close.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the swim ruining my run? [Bioteknik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It only looks like a big increase because it’s starting at almost nothing.

There’s a series on here called the “guppy challenge”which I had forgotten about. It’s aimed at beginners, with options for more advanced swimmers and I’d recommend that the OP at least looks through it for ideas, better yet, follow it. That starts at 1800m/y on the first practice, 5700 m/y the very first week. The OP was just only doing 1600 to maybe 2800 in a week.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...nge_Week_1_6131.html

(EDITED to fix autocorrect....)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jun 26, 19 8:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess that's my point.. such a large increase may not be what's best for a newbie who should be focused on steady progress over time eventually working up to those distances if that is what gets them to their desired goals. Many people will get to their goals on much less yardage. I'm quite confident that most people out there competing in Oly and sprint distance triathlons are not doing 8-12k/week. As you get faster, those distances start to get a little more realistic, but that will take time probably > 1 year to get there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bioteknik wrote:
I guess that's my point.. such a large increase may not be what's best for a newbie who should be focused on steady progress over time eventually working up to those distances if that is what gets them to their desired goals. Many people will get to their goals on much less yardage. I'm quite confident that most people out there competing in Oly and sprint distance triathlons are not doing 8-12k/week. As you get faster, those distances start to get a little more realistic, but that will take time probably > 1 year to get there.

You missed my point. It’s not really a large increase, it just looks like it as a percentage b cause he’s starting so low.

It’s like if you were running 1 km per day. If a coach told you that you needed to do 1500m it’s not that big of an increase even though it’s 50% more. It’s only 500m more.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming is not like running and biking, in that with swimming you generally can safely increase volume pretty rapidly without the same deleterious effects (unless the person experiences shoulder pain or something else due to poor form). And when we're saying high volume, we're talking about 10k-12k yards per week. Which is high for a *triathlete*. That's not high volume for a swimmer (which would be closer to 50-70k yards per week).

As an n=1 anecdote, last fall, I went from not swimming regularly (less than once per week), to doing a 2x a week masters program and another 60 minute swim on my own for approximately 9-10k yards, without any ramp up or negative effects.
Last edited by: tanzbodeli: Jun 26, 19 7:46
Quote Reply
Re: Is the swim ruining my run? [tanzbodeli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're only getting 800-1400m in 45 mins, you have some work to do. I'm not trying to be hurtful, but this is why the swim kills you.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bioteknik wrote:
swimbikerunbonk wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
swimbikerunbonk wrote:

I can outperform a lot of mediocre swimmers on a running only event, but they seem do their triathlon run legs minutes faster the I'm able to. What they are doing differently is what I'm trying to figure out. I know for a fact the don't spend six hours a week in the pool.

They're not doing anything different than you... they're just better than you at triathlon.

There may be one or two of them who do zero swimming, and yet they're still better than you.

Stop comparing yourself to others... stop being so entitled.... you suck at triathlon, you've identified the reason why, so now you have to choose to fix it, or not.

Now wait a bit. You're a coach right? Do you work with athletes that are not top 10% of their age group. Because it sounds te me that you don't.

I'm saying I can kill a run after a bike, and absolutely suck if I swim 10 minutes before getting on that bike

Im a little surprised a few coaches are suggesting such a big jump in swim volume. I will say ive never done that much swim volume. The old standard to look forward to when i started was 6k/week swimming. The important thing is to work towards doing more over time. As long as you are working towards swimming more if you need more improvement. And i will add, it is perfectly normal for someone who is not triathlon fit to run really slow compared to their open run times. In fact you need to be extremely fit just to come close.

6,000 yd per week is/was your goal to "work towards"??? 6000 yd/wk is about like running 12 mi/wk, e.g. 500 yd swim is roughly equal to 1 mi run. Would you only run 12 mi/wk and consider that optimal???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Is the swim ruining my run? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Bioteknik wrote:
swimbikerunbonk wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
swimbikerunbonk wrote:

6,000 yd per week is/was your goal to "work towards"??? 6000 yd/wk is about like running 12 mi/wk, e.g. 500 yd swim is roughly equal to 1 mi run. Would you only run 12 mi/wk and consider that optimal???

probably should have emphasized more that as a beginner that was the goal and it was achieved in my first season. funny part is though that I never had to increase yardage much to put me where I wanted to be so I didn't do much more.

I just looked up my old log on BT and it looks like I did do about 8k/week in 2012 (my 4th year but not a consistent 8k), so I was mistaken about never doing that much swimming. I'm getting interested in doing some HIM distance racing, so for me it's time to start increasing my yardage again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Bioteknik wrote:
swimbikerunbonk wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
swimbikerunbonk wrote:

12 miles running / 6000m swim are roughly equivalent time-wise (assuming someone is equally proficient in both) but the swim is far easier on the body and easier to recover from than running.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Bioteknik wrote:
swimbikerunbonk wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
swimbikerunbonk wrote:

12 miles running / 6000m swim are roughly equivalent time-wise (assuming someone is equally proficient in both) but the swim is far easier on the body and easier to recover from than running.

Strictly from a time management point of view it often takes a bigger commitment to reach that volume in swimming compared to running.

Getting to the pool and back might add an extra hour or more travel time depending on where you live. Which, in my personal situation, makes it a lot more difficult to squeeze in a workout in an already busy schedule. Also factor in pool opening times.

Over the years I have done a lot of 10:30 P.M. runs after a busy day. Just to get the workout done that I intended to do earlier, but didn't because work or other stuff got in the way

It does make sense to do a decent amount of swimming once you get in that pool though, which I have definitely failed to do up till now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swimbikerunbonk wrote:
It does make sense to do a decent amount of swimming once you get in that pool though

This. The logistics of swimming can be really time consuming. But, as an example, if you're going to spend 20 minutes commuting each way, change, stretch, swim, shower, change, etc. then it doesn't usually make a lot of sense to swim for 30 or 40 minutes unless that's all you truly have time for. That's like a 30 minute return on a 90 minute investment. If you're going, you may as well swim 60-75 minutes and get some bang for your buck.

On that same premise, think about how you're spending that time in the water. Work on spending less time on the wall to increase your fitness. Then once you have better fitness, you'll be able to spend less time on the wall. I think of it as a challenge and try to see how closely I can nail my prescribed rest intervals without going over. Or, if I have an early meeting or have to be home on time for dinner, I try to see how fast I can get in and out of the gym while still doing my full swim workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Bioteknik wrote:
swimbikerunbonk wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
swimbikerunbonk wrote:

I know but was just putting it in terms that a runner can relate to. Personally, I feel good if I can run the same number of mi/wk as I swim in 1000s per week, e.g., swim 20,000 yd/m and run 20 mi per week.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swimbikerunbonk wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Bioteknik wrote:
swimbikerunbonk wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
swimbikerunbonk wrote:

Strictly from a time management point of view it often takes a bigger commitment to reach that volume in swimming compared to running.

Getting to the pool and back might add an extra hour or more travel time depending on where you live. Which, in my personal situation, makes it a lot more difficult to squeeze in a workout in an already busy schedule. Also factor in pool opening times.

Over the years I have done a lot of 10:30 P.M. runs after a busy day. Just to get the workout done that I intended to do earlier, but didn't because work or other stuff got in the way

It does make sense to do a decent amount of swimming once you get in that pool though, which I have definitely failed to do up till now

The key is to swim at a pool that is on your way to and from work, or near your workplace (lunch swim), or close to your house. I've lived and worked in 5 diff cities/towns and have always managed to find a convenient pool.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that I've got a kid, it's lunch swim all the way (I run/ride before work). But that still has it's own challenges too. My pool is only about 10 minutes away, but we're still talking about a 90 minute absence from work to do a 40-45 minute swim. I had been thinking about trying to swim more often, but the fixed non-workout time can get pretty bad if I want to try and keep my time away from work to 1 hour, we're talking about a 15 minute swim. Just today I've got to get back in time for my half-year review at 1 and pool doesnt' open until noon. I'll probably still have goggle marks on my face.

and to answer one of your other questions.. If the distances I was doing in training weren't allowing me to be competitive, I'd probably try to do more. My point was using an arbitrary number as what someone needs to do to get faster isn't always true. In Xterra racing, the swim is somewhat marginalized, it's just a way to thin the field before the disproportionately long bike segment. The time differences in a mountain bike course are much greater than you see in a road course, so that was lower hanging fruit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next