Quote | Reply
1. Lubricant on your heels/ankels

2. Get fitter

3. Loose weight

4. Raise your saddle
Quote Reply
Re: . . . getting the dang wetsuit off in a race [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not cut a few inches off the bottom of the legs of the wetsuit? So it sits higher on your calves, but is easier to pull over your ankle (and timing chip). You could cut diagonally to create even a bigger opening. Many wetsuits have an extra strip of fabric over the seam on the inside to allow doing exactly this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, one key is practice. Two weeks before a wetsuit race, I will swim in my wetsuit 3-4 times. I treat wetsuit removal after those swims like it was a race. The technique I have is to pull it down quickly to those last 6 inches. Then, I step on the wetsuit leg with one foot and swiftly pull the first foot out. The key is to step on the leg just in front of my toes. Then I just repeat with the other foot. The key is to use that first foot to firmly trap the wetsuit on the ground; if it has any slack, then your quick jerk of the 2nd foot won't work and you end up wasting time.
Quote Reply
Re: . . . getting the dang wetsuit off in a race [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this. Also, cutting off the last few inches of the legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cutting an inch off at the bottom works wonders.

But, honestly, I go with the mentality of "Put it on like it cost a million dollars. Take it off like you're throwing it away." I take so must time and care with putting the wetsuit on. It'll take me at least 5-10 minutes to get it on. But I can take that thing off in 5-10 seconds. Once you pull it all the way down as far as it'll go, just start stepping on it and pulling with your other leg. It'll come off really quickly. Just takes a few practices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few tips:
Put Body Glide on from the knees down.
Cut a few inches off the bottom of the legs at an angle so that it is higher at the back. I have my suits cut so the bottom of the suit legs are about 4 inches above my ankle bone.

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use body glide or...what If found works best is waterproof sunscreen. Specifically the kind of kids because it's more "lotiony"

I have big calves and feet and without some sort of lubricant my wetsuit gets hung up on my calves or feet. No issues if I use a little something to make them slippery
Quote Reply
Re: . . . getting the dang wetsuit off in a race [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This.

And... Pro tip... Don't zip the key loop into the zipper. I did that at a race last year. It took three helpers to stretch the neck wide enough to get it over my shoulders. Lost 9 minutes getting the damn thing off. Didn't tear it though.

Also, I agree with the take it off like you are throwing it away mentality. Watch a few YouTube videos of taking a wetsuit off.

Body glide... Or Pam spray... Forearms, and calves.
Quote Reply
Re: . . . getting the dang wetsuit off in a race [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is not a joke. Do strength workout like grips, bicep, tricep, shoulder and back. Your arms lose strength after the long swim. You just have to use your muscle and pull the crap out of it. You can put thumbs in the wetsuit, open up and pull the foot out too. I have pretty strong upper body but I feel the same. It's not easy to take of wetsuit after the swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Body Glide
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Not a good idea to ask a fellow racer.

2. Like others have said cut an inch or two off the bottom and body glide your ankles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read it on here and did it at my last race. Try taking your wetsuit off close to the swim exit instead of waiting until you run all the way to transition. This way there is still water in your wetsuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Until last year, I used a sleeveless wetsuit that my father bought in the 1980s. It was so old you'd think it was made from stitched beaver hides. Despite its age, it did have one big advantage in that it had two zippers that ran all the way from ankle to armpit on each side. I'd just unzip and the suit would fall off in two pieces. In transition I used look like an NBA player about to check into a game when he whips off his warm-ups. I've sometimes wondered why manufacturers don't still make one that way. I assume it's because the extra zippers make it slower in the water. I sure did love it in transition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used: body glide, trislide, PAM, conditioner and Vaseline.

All worked pretty good but not great

Cutting 2 inches off the bottom left leg (which is always where I wear my timing chip) of my precious wetsuit was the answer for me.

And I still use the lubricants...but no more chip hang up.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by coyote pelon [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cutting the legs shorter will help a LOT... I also use this stuff, it's very slick and you have to be careful when spraying it.

https://www.amazon.com/...coding=UTF8&th=1

Slick hands on the bike isn't that great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use body glide, but to be clear...not just on your arms and legs. Put it on the outside of your wetsuit near your ankles and wrists. That way when it starts getting turned inside out when you’re pulling it off your limbs, the part in contact with your skin now will be all lubed up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to a two piece Synergy wet suit. Loving it so much, I gave my Roka away. With a little practice, I can have it off in under 10 seconds. In my last tri, I had the top off while running, before even getting my feet out of the water, so zero time there, and the bottoms strip off at T1 in a couple seconds. It also makes using the portapotty before the race a lot easier.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply