Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling in Cape Cod
Quote | Reply
Vacationing in North Truro next week and contemplating bringing a bike. I know there’s the Cape Cod Rail Trail.

I’m curious how easy/safe it is to get from North Truro to start of the trail.

Also not sure if I should bring TT or road bike. Would prefer TT. But not sure how safe it would be in aero on the trail if it’s super busy, etc. Is highway 6 safe to ride on (ie large shoulder?) or other good side roads to be able to ride aero safely? If zero chance to be aero then I’ll take the road bike.
Last edited by: blueapplepaste: Jun 24, 19 7:44
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Cape Cod [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been a while since I've ridden down that way but the rail trail wouldn't be the best option for going aero; Rt 6 does have a wide shoulder in the breakdown lane but it is a highway. ridewithgps.com has a bunch of options listed for Truro that stay off the main roads.

It's a beautiful part of the Cape, enjoy!

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like Brian wrote above, the trail wouldn’t be good for aero unless you are going at 5am and done around 6-6:30, and even then you need to keep an eye out. I’ve been going to the Cape for 30 years and I can’t remember ever seeing anyone ride on Route 6. I can’t help you for rides around Truro, I stay mostly in Falmouth and I never bring my TT bike always my road.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Cape Cod [plifter242] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for info and perspective.

I’ll just bring my road bike then. Not a biggie at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Echoing what others have said, it's a solid *drive* to the Wellfleet trailhead for the Rail Trail from Truro. The only bike I'd ride around Truro is a beach cruiser and that's on light traffic days. Another fun option would be to take the bike north to P-town maybe on a midweek day early on 6A, or all of the secondary streets to avoid traffic.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rt 6 between Provincetown and Orleans is not necessarily the most pleasant road for biking but the shoulder is wide enough that you can ride safely at any speed. I have biked it a couple of times without any issues.

The CCRT is pancake-flat so you'd be flying on your TT bike. There are a lot of road crossings and enough traffic that it gets dicey if you're trying to go fast.

Something else to consider that's way off the beaten path is a day trip to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket. The islands offer great riding, low traffic, and a more laid-back feel than the Cape even in the busy season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stay in Orleans every year for a week and usually get out on the CCRT early morning and its not too crowded. Where the RT terminates in Wellfleet you can hop on Lecount Hollow rd and take it to Oceanview into Gross Hill Rd to add some miles. Lightly traveled roads in the morning with some moderate hills and great views.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the SOS Cape Cod race website. I did the race last week - bike leaving out of Wellfleet and going up through Provincetown, primarily on back roads. Was a really good route, and was able to stay aero for most of the ride, even with a non-closed bike course. The route is posted on their site and Facebook page.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This might be a bit further than you'd like to go from Truro, but I've got to make a plug for heading over to Dartmouth and Westport and even into Rhode Island for some great coastal roads. Just this past Saturday I did a 100 mile route called the flattest century in the east (it's usually a big century ride done in September but I did it solo since I was visiting my parents). I enjoy going to the Cape but I've come to appreciate the area around my hometown as a place to ride and there's some vineyards and breweries that are fun to visit, not to mention beaches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s quite easy to ride on back roads, mostly west of route 6, south to the rail trail. We love the roads in Wellfleet and Truro for the hills and scenery! Early morning on a weekday is your best bet in the summer. Let me know if you want specific info.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Cape Cod [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for continued info. A long route into RI is appealing, but this is family vacation so just looking to do some shorter rides and enjoy the scenery from a bike.

I’ll check out some routes on Ride with GPS as well as the side roads
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is relatively much better mtbing on the cape than road riding, too.
Quote Reply