Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1st Full Distance Tri: What do I Need to Know ?
Quote | Reply
Off to Germany for Challenge Roth. First full distance event and I'm in the last swim wave which tells you everything !!

Have done all my cycle training in cycling shorts..... now debating keeping to these or saving a few minutes in transition which could cost me some comfort.

2 x inner tubes with 1 extender for 404 front and 1 for 808 rear plus a couple of canisters enough ?

How much nutrition do people take ?

Appreciate any views on these and any other hints or tips people are happy to share..

Cheers....
Dyesie
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Full Distance Tri: What do I Need to Know ? [dyesie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dyesie wrote:
Off to Germany for Challenge Roth. First full distance event and I'm in the last swim wave which tells you everything !!

Hmm.... I hope you worded this question incorrectly, because if you don't know your nutrition needs right before the event... Well, you are in for an awakening.

Why did I make a statement and offer no advice? I don't think there is any advice that can help you.

Again, just hoping your question needs to be re-worded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you haven’t been training in anything but cycling shorts don’t change now. Seriously, it’s not worth it.

Don’t forget tire levers

I think in my IM I targeted something close to 350 cal/bottle using Tailwind. The run was whatever my system allowed which after mile 10 was chips and coke. But I’m not sure what to say if you haven't been testing this out in training.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Have done all my cycle training in cycling shorts..... now debating keeping to these or saving a few minutes in transition which could cost me some comfort."

Are you thinking about changing into running shorts before the run?

If so, the answer is Yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dyesie wrote:

Have done all my cycle training in cycling shorts..... now debating keeping to these or saving a few minutes in transition which could cost me some comfort.

2 x inner tubes with 1 extender for 404 front and 1 for 808 rear plus a couple of canisters enough ?

Appreciate any views on these and any other hints or tips people are happy to share..

Cheers....
Dyesie

It concerns me that you are asking about nutrition only now, with less than two weeks to race day. You needed to be practicing with nutrition through ALL of your long rides and runs. What did you do in training?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dyesie wrote:

Question: "What do I need to know"?

Answer: You're too late
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lederhosen on the bike and Schweinshaxe as nutrition.

When in Rome ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dyesie wrote:

Both tubes need to be capable of going in each wheel, otherwise Murphy will make sure you flat your rear twice. Verify your tubes are actually good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Set your expectations low along with your pace. Relax and remember to have fun.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dyesie wrote:

Cheers....
Dyesie

I have some general Ironman Race Tips here. Quick read with some good info.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Jun 24, 19 12:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dyesie wrote:

Cheers....
Dyesie

If you are flying check ahead of time if you can bring CO2 canisters on the plane. Its generally pretty easy to pick some up at the race site beforehand. Perhaps someone who has done Roth can chime in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Echoing what the others said, but as I'm also off to Roth next week, I'll chime in.

Plenty of info online about nutrition, but you want to make sure you bring with you whatever you train with. Would not be a good idea to try the on course nutrition for the first time. I'm based in Asia, so train with something not available in Germany, so will be bringing it all with me.

What time are you getting to Roth? Logistics seem to be slightly more challenging, so read up on that too - there is a good thread on this. I'm in a late wave too, maybe just ahead of you. All the best.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S Patton

My advice would be put the car in drive, but don't touch the accelerator.

Good luck!

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Jun 25, 19 2:42
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Full Distance Tri: What do I Need to Know ? [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stelvio wrote:

If you are flying check ahead of time if you can bring CO2 canisters on the plane. Its generally pretty easy to pick some up at the race site beforehand. Perhaps someone who has done Roth can chime in.

Like any race in the US, the Roth expo has plenty of "bike shops" that will sell CO2 canisters. This is not a concern!

I, too, am off to Roth next week. Third time being there, but this will be my first time racing it (my wife raced it twice while I spent the day drinking beer). Super exited for this!
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Full Distance Tri: What do I Need to Know ? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Stelvio wrote:

I, too, am off to Roth next week. Third time being there, but this will be my first time racing it (my wife raced it twice while I spent the day drinking beer). Super exited for this!

This reminds me, I really need to convince my wife to sign up for Challenge Roth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few tips so you don't make the same mistakes I did...

1. Check the weather forecast and pack clothing for different temperatures. Shivering my way through the first three hours of the bike (Ironman Canada 2015) unable to get aero because I thought I would crash from the shakes was not great.
2. Pack all your favourite nutrition in your special needs bag (it's good to use the on-course fuel but having my own special treats halfway through the bike would have been awesome).
3. Comfort is HUGE - change into your running shorts! A 30 second clothing change is way faster than blisters/chafing/discomfort down there. Ironman is a long day so a minute here or there is no big deal (unless you're at the very front I suppose). Also, putting on fresh shorts (I'd do fresh socks too) is amazingly rejuvenating.
4. Between now and race day, fuel all your workouts with the same stuff you'll take on race day so your body can get a little bit used to it. Better late than never.

And the most important one:

Enjoy the experience, you only have one first time...

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Full Distance Tri: What do I Need to Know ? [samtridad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
samtridad wrote:
A few tips so you don't make the same mistakes I did...

1. Check the weather forecast and pack clothing for different temperatures. Shivering my way through the first three hours of the bike (Ironman Canada 2015) unable to get aero because I thought I would crash from the shakes was not great.
2. Pack all your favourite nutrition in your special needs bag (it's good to use the on-course fuel but having my own special treats halfway through the bike would have been awesome).
3. Comfort is HUGE - change into your running shorts! A 30 second clothing change is way faster than blisters/chafing/discomfort down there. Ironman is a long day so a minute here or there is no big deal (unless you're at the very front I suppose). Also, putting on fresh shorts (I'd do fresh socks too) is amazingly rejuvenating.
4. Between now and race day, fuel all your workouts with the same stuff you'll take on race day so your body can get a little bit used to it. Better late than never.

And the most important one:

Enjoy the experience, you only have one first time...

Good luck!

In general these are good points or most races... that said the OP indicated the race in question is Challenge Roth...

#1 - It's going to be a warm day in Roth. It always is. Usually the start is cool-ish but you can be sure it will be a warm-to-hot day by the end.
#2 - There are no special needs bags at this race
#3 - Changing clothing is fine, but this race has only a single changing tent. Europeans are much less concerned about modesty than Americans. Plenty of people just change right there and don't care who else is in the tent with them. That said if OP is uncomfortable changing in front of opposite sex individuals, this tip might not help here!
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Full Distance Tri: What do I Need to Know ? [BJones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BJones wrote:
g_lev wrote:

This reminds me, I really need to convince my wife to sign up for Challenge Roth.

Seriously you should. Day drinking while spectating Roth is amazing :)

I am actually *almost* bummed I am racing it because then that means I don't get to spend a day drinking beer watching a bunch of foolish triathletes run around like idiots. That, and I am jealous my wife gets to do it this time.
Quote Reply