Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do xtri if you complain about canceled swims
Quote | Reply
People complaining about the pussification again with the swim being canceled in Ireland.

Why won’t these folks do xtri if they are so tough?
Quote Reply
Re: Do xtri if you complain about canceled swims [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because you won't get to Kona? It is called triathlon, not duathlon :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spoken like an Alaskan! Seriously though, there is a different perspective on cold water when you live up there, compared to those of us in the "lower 48". But, even Norseman has had to shorten swims on occasion.

Having said this, I think RDs will be damned if they do or don't cancel a swim. People die in calm water, much less freezing chop. I'm not sure why people complain when a race errs on the side of safety due to conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Do xtri if you complain about canceled swims [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I'm not sure why people complain when a race errs on the side of safety due to conditions.

-----

I dont think many will complain when conditions actual dictate a real safety issue. And I'm not suggesting you have to swim in 5 ft chop, etc. What I see is the issue when the *first* sign of adversity results in a "safety" issue and cancelled swim. But I understand from a RD standpoint, they are playing to lowest athlete. I saw the coverage from Cork today- it was nasty out there, "washing machine" out there. So I get it, I've also seen races where 5mph wind causes some wind chop on the water and it's suddenly too dangerous to swim.....those are the cancelled swims people *rightfully* bitch about.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:
People complaining about the pussification again with the swim being canceled in Ireland.

Are you in next week?! Last year I was most worried about the swim but it turned out to be the most pleasant leg last year. (After a 10 min adjustment period lol)
Quote Reply
Re: Do xtri if you complain about canceled swims [JYoung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve raced in a lot of cancelled swims where 90% of the field could handle the conditions without undue stress. I think it is fair to complain when the low end of the field dictates the decision making process.

Cork today was a legitimate cancellation. 70% of the field wouldn’t have gotten 100 meters off the beach. Crazy bad.

My biggest pet peeve: the aspiring KQers that celebrate vocally when the swim is cancelled because it is their weak leg. Have some pride as a triathlete and qualify by doing a full race. Otherwise, you get an asterisk!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:

Because xtri requires about 3 times the money investment.

But yeah, want to do one of those too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Do xtri if you complain about canceled swims [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:
Because you won't get to Kona? It is called triathlon, not duathlon :)

You nailed it.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply