Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Did We Land On the Moon? [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
I love a good conspiracy theory, but most fall apart when you consider how many people would have to keep the secret.

Exactly. The video posted directly above by Dilbert is a great example of that. All of those guys on the ground in Houston that are on the audio are monitoring actual instruments. They're all witnesses in addition to the astronauts and many others. They'd have to all be part of the conspiracy or they were incredibly fed the exactly correct fabricated information. Absurd.

Plus we left a bunch of stuff up there that will be there forever. NASA posted images from probes where you can clearly see footprints and gear left behind. So if those are fake, that means an ongoing cover-up and conspiracy. And of course there are the moon rocks they brought back.

The one positive that I took away from the article stated that polls in the US varied a lot and some were as low as 6%. That makes us look a lot smarter than the Brits, where 25% are stupid enough to be deniers. Maybe it's Moon envy.
Quote Reply
Re: Did We Land On the Moon? [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
Perseus wrote:
I love a good conspiracy theory, but most fall apart when you consider how many people would have to keep the secret.

Exactly. The video posted directly above by Dilbert is a great example of that. All of those guys on the ground in Houston that are on the audio are monitoring actual instruments. They're all witnesses in addition to the astronauts and many others. They'd have to all be part of the conspiracy or they were incredibly fed the exactly correct fabricated information. Absurd.

Plus we left a bunch of stuff up there that will be there forever. NASA posted images from probes where you can clearly see footprints and gear left behind. So if those are fake, that means an ongoing cover-up and conspiracy. And of course there are the moon rocks they brought back.

The one positive that I took away from the article stated that polls in the US varied a lot and some were as low as 6%. That makes us look a lot smarter than the Brits, where 25% are stupid enough to be deniers. Maybe it's Moon envy.

Anyone with a good telescope can see some of the junk left behind ;)

Sure, the Brits are dumber, but the Russians are dumberest. Although I bet if it were the USSR that landed there, the numbers would be reversed, at the minimum
Quote Reply
Re: Did We Land On the Moon? [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your theory may be tested soon. Imagine if the Chinese land people on Mars in a few years. I suspect the Chinese will turn it on a huge patriotic "Great Leap Outward", whereas the skepticism in the USA will be high.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Did We Land On the Moon? [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
...Anyone with a good telescope can see some of the junk left behind ;) ...

Winkie emoticon noted. But, even the various 14,000+ kg Apollo S-IVB pieces are way too small to see from earth with the best telescopes.

But, the retroreflectors left there *are* detectable from earth with a few thousand dollars of lab equipment. :-)

Personally, though, I think it was a double-false-flag hoax operation by the Russians so they could justify a military buildup in view of the US's apparent technical superiority. ;-)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Did We Land On the Moon? [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
But, the
retroreflectors left there *are* detectable from earth with a few thousand dollars of lab equipment. :-)

My favourite scene from Big Bang Theory

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Did We Land On the Moon? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome!

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Did We Land On the Moon? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zach was great on that show.
Quote Reply
Re: Did We Land On the Moon? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
well, it could be worse as a lot of people that didn't vote for trump think the world will end in 12 years because of global warming (of course that's a sliding time)!scale
See, this is the rhetoric that you guys use to boost your big boy arguments, and to try and make them actually seem plausible. What it said was, 12 more years until irreversible climate change. But your chicken little comments are to be expected. I actually think we have already hit the tipping point, and folks in the know just want to keep hope alive. I wish our species could chew gum and walk at the same time, as in continue down the path to reducing emissions, and prepare for what is surely coming in the next 50 to 100 years. The only hope I cling to in regards to an actual halting of the warming, is some yet unknown technology, that can suck or store carbon at rates that surpass our propensities for producing them..A Hail Mary so to speak..How did you enjoy the moon landing show by the way?? (-;

Ah, it was YOU that turned this political on the second post in the thread.

Does everything HAVE to throw some sort of negative light on Trump?

You people are obsessed and you need to get a f'kn life if you think your post was anything more than 'rhetoric'.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Did We Land On the Moon? [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, it was YOU that turned this political on the second post in the thread. //

I dont know what that has to do with the argument at large, I suppose it has become political to some folks. My jab at Trump was in regards to the moon landing folks, not climate change. But you are correct sir, my attempt at some humor there does denigrate the office of the presidency, I apologize for that. I understand it is not funny to many, and I hate myself sometimes for getting dragged down to this level, seems to be an epidemic lately...
Quote Reply
Re: Did We Land On the Moon? [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes very few people are good at keeping secrets. Unless they believe it is in their interest to do so which I don't see in this case.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Did We Land On the Moon? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok ok........so, with some conspiracies there is a self serving benefit to believing it. Obvious ones.

-Obama is a Muslim or the whole birther thing: de-legitimize his Presidency for political gain

-Pizzagate.......the same

-Vaccines.......to uphold some kind of odd personal freedom belief set or something self serving about that.

-Aliens and pyramids or other things..........probably a self serving way to disprove God in a way easier than understanding any kind of philosophy or physics or something.

But, the moon landing? What purpose does believing that is fake prove? Is that lumped in with the flat-Earthers? Is it just self serving to sound legitimate about how the government can't be trusted for anything?

Vaccines and the moon landing cross the political aisle to both sides. So it isn't that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next