Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: President Bluff [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
     Looked like they were going to start with those who have had their day in court, been given final deportation orders and stayed anyway. What's the problem here?
Quote Reply
Re: President Bluff [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looked like they were going to start//

I think it is after the start part that is going to get him in trouble.
Quote Reply
Re: President Bluff [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Looked like they were going to start//

I think it is after the start part that is going to get him in trouble.
-
Maybe, but there are supposedly a millionish of just these...sure to bring scores of stories of sorrow and how good they and their family are in our country, how evil Trump/pubs are, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: President Bluff [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the donkeys really wanted a deal they would make one happen. Obama had 8 years to fix this problem and he did what?

What about the 8 years under Bush? Or the 2 years where Trump had control of both houses?

If the GOP really wanted a deal, they had even more opportunities than the Dems.
Quote Reply
Re: President Bluff [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
    GWB wanted to get something done, but then as now, our congress was/is broke; unable to get anything donme on important issues. I'd hoped that Trump might be able to embarrass and shine light on the dysfunction enough to get them to legislate more for the (ever growing) middle, but no joy; mostly because he's a one man shit show, so whatever he does that points out their failings is over-shadowed by his own behavior. What's JPO's sig line again?
Quote Reply
Re: President Bluff [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
So trump and the gop does not have the same obligation? The gop didn’t have the same obligations under Obama as the dems do now? Why didn’t the gop fixed this issue when they controlled both houses.

It is silly that’s you put one party to make a plan the other would like while ignoring the other party.

Trump doesn’t want to do something but he has to? And was forced to. That’s just silly talk.

Seriously you're usually not this dumb.

Think about the difference between Trump and Obama as President specifically about leverage the Executive branch has.

When was there a filibuster proof majority in the Senate again?

Thanks for playing
Quote Reply
Re: President Bluff [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
Looked like they were going to start with those who have had their day in court, been given final deportation orders and stayed anyway. What's the problem here?

Hmmm it's almost like it would be nonsensical politically to oppose it even if your primary voting based demanded it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
If the donkeys really wanted a deal they would make one happen. Obama had 8 years to fix this problem and he did what?

What about the 8 years under Bush? Or the 2 years where Trump had control of both houses?

If the GOP really wanted a deal, they had even more opportunities than the Dems.

Google filibuster. Read about it. Discuss provincial politics with Blep instead of embarassing yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: President Bluff [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again, what is your comprehensive plan? Try to describe how you will get it through Congress and Trump, given the ever-widening gulf between the parties.
Quote Reply
Re: President Bluff [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Again, what is your comprehensive plan? Try to describe how you will get it through Congress and Trump, given the ever-widening gulf between the parties.

I'm explaining the calculus as I see it. Not my problem. Democrats either need to make concessions to Trump or prepare for a sizeable part of the left to go into complete meltdown.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
oldandslow wrote:

I'm explaining the calculus as I see it. Not my problem. Democrats either need to make concessions to Trump or prepare for a sizeable part of the left to go into complete meltdown.

Got it, you got nothing, absolutely nothing. Contrary to your opinion, nobody "needs" to make concessions. You may need to retake calculus, there should be some non-partisan class in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
windywave wrote:
oldandslow wrote:

Got it, you got nothing, absolutely nothing. Contrary to your opinion, nobody "needs" to make concessions. You may need to retake calculus, there should be some non-partisan class in it.

What in the wide world of sports are you talking about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simple, if you cannot formulate any viable plan, then all of your blaming is meaningless. Your view that Democrats "need" to make concessions is at odds with their long-term goals. Your analysis is weak, your blaming is one-sided and partisan, and your problem-solving is non-existent. Sorry to be bearer of this news.

The GOP's best option for a "deal" was a few years ago, but their base is too far gone to ever accept any real compromise. Dems largely see this issue eroding the GOP over the next two decades. They will take a deal, but only on their terms, and that will be unacceptable to Trump's base. There is no middle, and no imperative to find a middle. Eventually, one side will gain enough support to impose their solution on the other side.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Jun 23, 19 14:08
Quote Reply
Re: President Bluff [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
If BOTH sides were so polarizing there would be nothing to talk about. If the donkeys really wanted a deal they would make one happen. Obama had 8 years to fix this problem and he did what?

"Obama holds the record for deporting more immigrants than any president, with more than 2 million deportations over eight years — though he scaled back enforcement in the last two years of his administration."

Wait, maybe that was just sarcasm and I missed it.. Obama deported more than any other president.. doesn't that mean he did something.. wouldn't it be ironic if after his Presidency Obama has more deportations than Trump...

Obama had high deportation numbers because late in the Bush admin they changed what counted as a deportation. Otherwise, his numbers would have been comparatively small, IIRC.

So its a Republicans fault Obama has high deportation numbers... this just gets more weird the more I read. Boy Dems and Reps go hard to make the other look bad.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
patentattorney wrote:
So in one hand there is nothing the democrats can do because trump has the power.

On the other hand. Democrats must fix the problem.

Yes.

What Democrats need to do is present a plan that they don't like but can live with and Trump doesn't like and can live with.

I don't think Trump wants to do mass deportations by force since it will get ugly but is playing the card to force the Democrats hand to the table. Democrats don't want it because it will get ugly but they can't do anything about it since lawful.

What if the Dem's do nothing... Trump has already back down on his mass deportation, Do you think he will go through with it, now? I think like everyone else, they will call his bluff and he wont do anything. It has worked for the North Koreans, The Iranians, The Russians, the anti-wall folks..

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Simple, if you cannot formulate any viable plan, then all of your blaming is meaningless. Your view that Democrats "need" to make concessions is at odds with their long-term goals. Your analysis is weak, your blaming is one-sided and partisan, and your problem-solving is non-existent. Sorry to be bearer of this news.

The GOP's best option for a "deal" was a few years ago, but their base is too far gone to ever accept any real compromise. Dems largely see this issue eroding the GOP over the next two decades. They will take a deal, but only on their terms, and that will be unacceptable to Trump's base. There is no middle, and no imperative to find a middle. Eventually, one side will gain enough support to impose their solution on the other side.

Who am I blaming for what?
Quote Reply
Re: President Bluff [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:
patentattorney wrote:
So in one hand there is nothing the democrats can do because trump has the power.

On the other hand. Democrats must fix the problem.

Yes.

What Democrats need to do is present a plan that they don't like but can live with and Trump doesn't like and can live with.

I don't think Trump wants to do mass deportations by force since it will get ugly but is playing the card to force the Democrats hand to the table. Democrats don't want it because it will get ugly but they can't do anything about it since lawful.

What if the Dem's do nothing... Trump has already back down on his mass deportation, Do you think he will go through with it, now? I think like everyone else, they will call his bluff and he wont do anything. It has worked for the North Koreans, The Iranians, The Russians, the anti-wall folks..

Then nothing changes from today except Trump looks weaker. I see this as a viable outcome
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:

The thing is that the democrats HAVE compromised on immigration and brought a deal to the white house that trump agreed to, until he blew it up. He blew it up because his base was upset that the there was compromise. It is just plain wrong to say the problem is the Democrats not being willing to compromise, it is just a fact the problem is the Republicans.

Now the democrats are in an even stronger bargaining position, since they now control the house, so a deal would require more compromise from the Republicans, which will not happen. Trying to blame this on the Democrats is just freaking bizarre and ignores reality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think Trump wants to do mass deportations by force since it will get ugly but is playing the card to force the Democrats hand to the table.

Trump supporters always say that Trump is working hard and would accomplish so much more if only the Democrats would play along. It's the exact same thing Obama said and the GOP thought it was a joke. Now you and most of his die hard followers are doing the exact same thing. It's laughable.

Trump is going after immigrants again because it's build up time to the election, nothing more and nothing less. He did nothing on the Wall and immigration for 3 years and now as the election is coming closer he is once again referencing it in his speeches and simply blaming the Democrats for his inability to deliver on his promises.

I expect chants of "lock her up" to start coming out soon, that was page one of the playbook.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I don't think Trump wants to do mass deportations by force since it will get ugly but is playing the card to force the Democrats hand to the table.

Trump supporters always say that Trump is working hard and would accomplish so much more if only the Democrats would play along. It's the exact same thing Obama said and the GOP thought it was a joke. Now you and most of his die hard followers are doing the exact same thing. It's laughable.

Trump is going after immigrants again because it's build up time to the election, nothing more and nothing less. He did nothing on the Wall and immigration for 3 years and now as the election is coming closer he is once again referencing it in his speeches and simply blaming the Democrats for his inability to deliver on his promises.

I expect chants of "lock her up" to start coming out soon, that was page one of the playbook.

I'm not one of his supporters much less a die hard supporter. I simply laid out what I think is going on. I didn't opine on whether I support it (I'm indifferent) or if it will be successful (toss up). He has a card to play, indisputably lawful deportation of a ton od families. Is it strong enough, depends on the rank and file Democrats. Is this the hill they want to die on for immigration. I tend to hope and think not meaning no deal and the deportations happen or a slight concession so they don't. Grand scheme of things not much changes.
Quote Reply
Re: President Bluff [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
but their base is too far gone to ever accept any real compromise.

Not even "the base". There's a hardcore, no-compromise faction within the GOP that existed before the "Trump base", and still exists. They've killed attempts at comprehensive immigration reform under 3 different Presidents of both parties. They're not a majority of the GOP. They've stayed just powerful enough to act as effective obstructionists.

I don't think Trump is, at heart, one of the hardcore. He, like Obama, is a pragmatist, not an ideologue - he'll do whatever makes him look good. But he's fenced himself in (so to speak). He can't find a way out.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 23, 19 17:01
Quote Reply

Prev Next