Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A star dies.
Quote | Reply
Looks like they are taking Trumps star off the walk of fame.

https://abcnews.go.com/...lk/story?id=57072950

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: A star dies. [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Small minds at work?

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what the criteria to have one, but wonder why there is one with his name in the first place.
Quote Reply
Re: A star dies. [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they took it off because they felt he didn't represent what they wanted.

They took Kevin Spacey off and John Wayne, so it's not unprecedented. They also want to replace his star with Carrie Fisher.

I don't give a crap either way, I just thought it was weird to have your star removed, but it's not, so the whole thread is moot. :)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think its more than weird. I kind of get Spacey, but Trump is being removed for political views. Wow, just wow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
I think they took it off because they felt he didn't represent what they wanted.

They took Kevin Spacey off and John Wayne, so it's not unprecedented. They also want to replace his star with Carrie Fisher.

I don't give a crap either way, I just thought it was weird to have your star removed, but it's not, so the whole thread is moot. :)

John Wayne? What he killed to many indians cinematicly?
Quote Reply
Re: A star dies. [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueraider_mike wrote:
I think its more than weird. I kind of get Spacey, but Trump is being removed for political views. Wow, just wow.

I doubt it’s because of political views. I’m guessing Charlton Heston and Clint Eastwood still have stars. More likely, it’s because he’s an asshole, and they are tired of trying to keep a asshole’s underserved star clean and tidy.

I like it. Regardless of the reason, In trump’s tiny little narcissistic mind this will be worse than impeachment.
Quote Reply
Re: A star dies. [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Nova wrote:

He was a racist.

Quote Reply
Re: A star dies. [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
blueraider_mike wrote:

I doubt it’s because of political views. I’m guessing Charlton Heston and Clint Eastwood still have stars. More likely, it’s because he’s an asshole, and they are tired of trying to keep a asshole’s underserved star clean and tidy.

I like it. Regardless of the reason, In trump’s tiny little narcissistic mind this will be worse than impeachment.

Uh maybe people shouldn't deface it in the first place? Maybe prosecute them instead of removing the star?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
windywave wrote:
Nova wrote:

He was a racist.

Eyeroll emoji
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Nova wrote:
windywave wrote:
Nova wrote:

He was a racist.

Eyeroll emoji

I agree.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh. Hollywood stars these days are purely PR efforts. Apparently they don’t want to spend the money to have 24 hour guards to protect it and prevent demonstrations so they’re getting rid of the root issue

Can’t get past meh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Nova wrote:

No, he was banned for being transgender when they found out his real name was Marion.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
windywave wrote:
Nova wrote:

He was a racist.

Well shit then they should remove everybody from that era and earlier. First I ever heard he was a racist.. so what racist actions did he do?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: A star dies. [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From an old interview of John Wayne's;

In the interview with Playboy magazine from 1971, the actor born Marion Morrison states, among other things “I believe in white supremacy” and calls Midnight Cowboy “a story about two fags”
Quote Reply
Re: A star dies. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
From an old interview of John Wayne's;

In the interview with Playboy magazine from 1971, the actor born Marion Morrison states, among other things “I believe in white supremacy” and calls Midnight Cowboy “a story about two fags”

He thought it was about 2 cigarettes?

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He thought it was about 2 cigarettes?

He wasn't from Europe, so no...

And about Trumps star, I'm kind of split, but totally understand why the owners would want it gone. It probably cost them a lot of money to repair and replace it, and they cannot just leave a hole there either. Some idiot will trip over it, and guess what?? I'm pretty sure they dont have a lot of money, as I recall, to get a star, you have to pay about 25 grand of your own money to get it. Thats why there are some funky ones, and why some you would think should be there, are not. A lot of people in principal, will not pay for their own award. Of course Trump did, but probably came from that sham foundation of his that got called on the carpet...

The John Wayne one is more of a head scratcher for me, I'm kind of split. Does anyone know if it got the same defacing treatment as Trumps??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found a few more gems from the Duke;;

“With a lot of blacks, there’s quite a bit of resentment along with their dissent, and possibly rightfully so,” John Wayne said. “But we can’t all of a sudden get down on our knees and turn everything over to the leadership of the blacks. I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility.”

“They were allowed in public schools wherever I’ve been,” he said.
School segregation was an official policy in many parts of the South until the late ‘60s, and an unofficial policy in schools across the country even today.

Wayne defended Hollywood’s treatment of black actors as well.
“I’ve directed two pictures and I gave the blacks their proper position. I had a black slave in ‘The Alamo,’ and I had a correct number of blacks in ‘The Green Berets.’”

John Wayne also defended the United States’ treatment of Native Americans, saying that the forceful seizure of their land was justified because Native Americans “were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/...4.html#storylink=cpy
Quote Reply
Re: A star dies. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

John Wayne also defended the United States’ treatment of Native Americans, saying that the forceful seizure of their land was justified because Native Americans “were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”

some
Lets take this discussion in a different direction...

Almost every civilization that is where it is today, were not the original people to inhabit that region.. some other culture grew faster / stronger and took them out..

Now we have evolved as a people, and no longer war or take over other peoples lands... well some cultures act that ... well we only do it in higher societies if there is a really good reason or oil.. or why did we invade Granada?

ok maybe we have not evolved so far.. But it is always interesting when current society judges past society based on modern thinking.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
monty wrote:

some

Almost every civilization that is where it is today, were not the original people to inhabit that region.. some other culture grew faster / stronger and took them out..

Now we have evolved as a people, and no longer war or take over other peoples lands... well some cultures act that ... well we only do it in higher societies if there is a really good reason or oil.. or why did we invade Granada?

ok maybe we have not evolved so far.. But it is always interesting when current society judges past society based on modern thinking.

It's the only way we can feel superior. If we're truly honest with ourselves our planet is dying and not enough people care about it to do anything. I expect future societies to not only look down on all of us but also look at us as if we were some part of the Dark Ages. They will have to wonder how we could all have been so stupid.

Quote Reply
Re: A star dies. [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
monty wrote:

some

It's the only way we can feel superior. If we're truly honest with ourselves our planet is dying and not enough people care about it to do anything. I expect future societies to not only look down on all of us but also look at us as if we were some part of the Dark Ages. They will have to wonder how we could all have been so stupid.

Some of the great comments in Star Trek are about this..

Chemotherapy is going to be looked at as very barbaric treatment someday... wishfully very soon...

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did no one read past the headline? Some low-level bureaucrats voted to send a request to ask that it be removed. That’s a far cry from “having it removed”. The ppl that are actually in charge of the stars have already repeatedly said that removals don’t and won’t happen.
Quote Reply