Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

If EPO is banned, then why a full page ad in Triathlete mag every month?
Quote | Reply
Please explain to me bc I don't get it.
Quote Reply
Re: If EPO is banned, then why a full page ad in Triathlete mag every month? [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EPO is a hormone that boosts red blood cell count. We all have it. What you can't do is take additional or synthetic EPO like you can't take other hormones. What you are probably seeing is an advert for what, I'm guessing, is a nutritional supplement that the makers say will boost natural EPO production. But, as I say, that's a guess because I don't have that magazine. Maybe let us know the product name and what it says the product is/contains.
Quote Reply
Re: If EPO is banned, then why a full page ad in Triathlete mag every month? [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that is an ad for EPOBOOST which is not EPO - its a supplement like the poster above alludes to.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the same reason we have Testosterone and IV infusion booths at USAT and Ironman race expos

DV8R wrote:
Please explain to me bc I don't get it.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Media businesses typically rely on advertisers to generate revenue. In markets like North America where subscription models offer massively discounted pricing, this is even more true. Hence full page ads for supplements in athletic publications.

Quote Reply
Re: If EPO is banned, then why a full page ad in Triathlete mag every month? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always thought it was interesting that Amgen sponsors cycling with the tour of California.
Quote Reply
Re: If EPO is banned, then why a full page ad in Triathlete mag every month? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
Always thought it was interesting that Amgen sponsors cycling with the tour of California.

Amgen makes a hell of a lot more than just Epogen
Quote Reply
Re: If EPO is banned, then why a full page ad in Triathlete mag every month? [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
EPO is a hormone that boosts red blood cell count. We all have it. What you can't do is take additional or synthetic EPO like you can't take other hormones. What you are probably seeing is an advert for what, I'm guessing, is a nutritional supplement that the makers say will boost natural EPO production. But, as I say, that's a guess because I don't have that magazine. Maybe let us know the product name and what it says the product is/contains.

It’s interesting but what is the mechanism for natural EPO production? IE likely your typical supplement marketing scam.

My understanding is that if you have good iron and good health then the raw building blocks are already there and all you need is trauma to spike production.

Ie Altitude, a car accident (where you lose a lot of blood) or old fashioned blood doping, where you take a pint out.
Quote Reply
Re: If EPO is banned, then why a full page ad in Triathlete mag every month? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There’s always been a gray area for this IMO. It’s not ok for Barry Bonds to dope, but it’s fine for him to have lasik surgery to get 20/10 vision, which is much more important. Can’t hit a home run if you can’t see the ball. Or voluntary Tommy John surgery for pitchers, who then throw 5+ mph faster that they did pre-surgery.

Then there’s people here who bring out the pitchforks because a cyclist/triathlete gets popped for drugs but when their favorite nfl cornerback gets popped they’re happy because when he comes back in week 5 he’ll be well rested.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: If EPO is banned, then why a full page ad in Triathlete mag every month? [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nobody is arguing those things... you're creating a strawman

chriselam wrote:
There’s always been a gray area for this IMO. It’s not ok for Barry Bonds to dope, but it’s fine for him to have lasik surgery to get 20/10 vision, which is much more important. Can’t hit a home run if you can’t see the ball. Or voluntary Tommy John surgery for pitchers, who then throw 5+ mph faster that they did pre-surgery.

Then there’s people here who bring out the pitchforks because a cyclist/triathlete gets popped for drugs but when their favorite nfl cornerback gets popped they’re happy because when he comes back in week 5 he’ll be well rested.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saying that I feel it is a little shady to have an ad for an epo booster and it is a little shady to have the Amgen tour of California. But it’s always been shady so whatever.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: If EPO is banned, then why a full page ad in Triathlete mag every month? [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:

No one is really talking about that, but interesting point.

Illiac surgery is cycling's new Tommy John.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:

While some of the kids are probably asking for the surgery because they've already burnt out their arms, others see it as a way of juicing their arms up. This is more myth than reality – about one in five patients never pitch again, and though successful Tommy Johns have allowed pitchers to regain their former strength, there's no evidence that it makes them stronger than before.

https://www.wired.com/.../08/teenage-pitcher/

Do you have evidence that it make them stronger than before?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nobody is arguing those things... you're creating a strawman //

No kidding, some people have a hard time staying on track. What's next, you get injured or break an ankle, and you are done forever, because fixing it doesnt leave you in your natural state??
Quote Reply
Re: If EPO is banned, then why a full page ad in Triathlete mag every month? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"EPO Boost" is just a massive (over-priced) dose of Echinacea, from what I can see.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And their advertising sham snags another one...
Quote Reply
Re: If EPO is banned, then why a full page ad in Triathlete mag every month? [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:

No, I just didn't understand what the difference was. Never bought any and never will.
Quote Reply
Re: If EPO is banned, then why a full page ad in Triathlete mag every month? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
chriselam wrote:

No one is really talking about that, but interesting point.

Illiac surgery is cycling's new Tommy John.

I can guarantee you that no one is going through illiac surgery voluntarily without cause. Having had the surgery, it is not something you really want to go through and it does, sometimes, fix a legitimate problem.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: If EPO is banned, then why a full page ad in Triathlete mag every month? [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably should have written that one in pink. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DV8R wrote:
T-wrecks wrote:

No, I just didn't understand what the difference was. Never bought any and never will.
But they got someone to keep their product buzz going by tricking them into thinking it's EPO
Quote Reply
Re: If EPO is banned, then why a full page ad in Triathlete mag every month? [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:

I can guarantee you that no one is going through illiac surgery voluntarily without cause. Having had the surgery, it is not something you really want to go through and it does, sometimes, fix a legitimate problem.

To be fair, no one goes through Tommy John without cause either.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 24, 19 11:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
Just saying that I feel it is a little shady to have an ad for an epo booster and it is a little shady to have the Amgen tour of California. But it’s always been shady so whatever.

Amusing and ironic. Not shady. The people at Amgen who support cycling are legitimate cycling enthusiasts. They have no secret agenda to promote their EPO product to cyclists. Or it would shock me if they did.
Quote Reply
Re: If EPO is banned, then why a full page ad in Triathlete mag every month? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
chriselam wrote:

Amusing and ironic. Not shady. The people at Amgen who support cycling are legitimate cycling enthusiasts. They have no secret agenda to promote their EPO product to cyclists. Or it would shock me if they did.

^This.

And I'm glad I had learned a smattering about EPO when someone in my family had a legitimate need for it. I was able to ask at least somewhat informed questions.
Quote Reply
Re: If EPO is banned, then why a full page ad in Triathlete mag every month? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amusing and ironic then. It makes you think for a second and maybe cringe a little on the inside. It’s sort of like Livestrong sponsoring a tour.

--Chris
Quote Reply