Prev Next
Re: How much should you get paid for Jury Duty [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Windy loves telling me how little freedom of speech I have. I have yet to hear what it is that I am desperately missing.

I can’t have hate speech. Gee that’s too bad. I hate that I can’t use hate speech.

Your libel laws suck

Do they now?

I’ve yet to be sued. Maybe I should be more of an asshole.

They do.

On a serious note, they are probably the worst in the Anglophone sphere. You really should be a tad perturbed by them.

I am quite perturbed. People are being sued for liable all over the place. It’s a regular liable fest in Canada. I have three liable suits hanging over my head right now.

You can't be this illiterate can you?
Quote Reply
Re: How much should you get paid for Jury Duty [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:

I am quite perturbed. People are being sued for liable all over the place. It’s a regular liable fest in Canada. I have three liable suits hanging over my head right now.

Hey, lay off, man. He's already expressed remorse. He's been slightly charred (nothing that won't scrape off), and paid his debt to society.
Last edited by: eb: Jun 23, 19 23:06
Quote Reply
Re: How much should you get paid for Jury Duty [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 1st thought is at minimum, minimum wage. Civic duty or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Windy loves telling me how little freedom of speech I have. I have yet to hear what it is that I am desperately missing.

I can’t have hate speech. Gee that’s too bad. I hate that I can’t use hate speech.

Your libel laws suck

Do they now?

They do.

On a serious note, they are probably the worst in the Anglophone sphere. You really should be a tad perturbed by them.

When you have nothing to say, attack the misspelling of a word.

MAGA!

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Your libel laws suck

Do they now?

They do.

MAGA!

Why not apend 10 minutes reading about how you could be liable for libel in her majesty's colony of Canada?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Your libel laws suck

Do they now?

They do.

MAGA!

Why not apend 10 minutes reading about how you could be liable for libel in her majesty's colony of Canada?

Why not “apend” 10 seconds spell-checking your post before hitting Post Reply, especially when you’re wanking about another person’s typos?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because I am really not concerned about it. Because it really hasn't affected and won't affect me in any way.

But continue on with your superior FREEDOM!!!!

I will continue living in a COMMUNIST STATE!!! UNDER THE OPPRESSIVE QUEEN OF TUVALU!!!

Quote Reply
Re: How much should you get paid for Jury Duty [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Your libel laws suck

Do they now?

They do.

MAGA!

Why not “apend” 10 seconds spell-checking your post before hitting Post Reply, especially when you’re wanking about another person’s typos?

Because I was tired and pissy. Mea culpa mea culpa mea maxima culpa. However that does not remove the fact Canadian libel laws are nuts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Your libel laws suck

Do they now?

They do.

MAGA!

Because I was tired and pissy. Mea culpa mea culpa mea maxima culpa. However that does not remove the fact Canadian libel laws are nuts.

Which province? The laws vary.

Also, libel laws don't inhibit your freedom of expression. Express all you want. But there might be a cost associated with it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
However that does not remove the fact Canadian libel laws are nuts.

Since i am not Canadian, not really a fan of Canadian bacon. And to lazy and many would claim to stupid, to research it could you please just explain their Libel laws and why you think they are nuts? I have lived on the boarder of Canada my entire life, and have never hear anyone American or Canadian talk about or complain about their libel laws, so I have a hard time believing they are that out of line. (Since we are not in Quebec you only have to answer in English, leave the French out please)

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:

Since i am not Canadian, not really a fan of Canadian bacon. And to lazy and many would claim to stupid, to research it could you please just explain their Libel laws and why you think they are nuts? I have lived on the boarder of Canada my entire life, and have never hear anyone American or Canadian talk about or complain about their libel laws, so I have a hard time believing they are that out of line. (Since we are not in Quebec you only have to answer in English, leave the French out please)

Good grief. I normally don't get excited about spelling/grammar mistakes in the LR room, but windy started it in this thread. I'm not sure your first two sentences are even proper sentences, but I can live with them. But the highlighted bits are a bridge too far. (I'm not sure if your "hear" will show up in blue or red font in my post.) This reads like a Trump tweet (although you did use "their" correctly).

edit to fix my mistake

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Last edited by: Alvin Tostig: Jun 24, 19 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: How much should you get paid for Jury Duty [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:

Good grief. I normally don't get excited about spelling/grammar mistakes in the LR room, but windy started it in this thread. I'm not sure your first two sentences are even proper sentences, but I can live with them. But the highlighted bits are a bridge too far. (I'm not sure if your "hear" will show up in blue or red font in my post.) This reads like a Trump tweet (although you did use "their" correctly).

edit to fix my mistake

Did you read signature lines?>?? Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Your libel laws suck

Do they now?

They do.

MAGA!

Which province? The laws vary.

Also, libel laws don't inhibit your freedom of expression. Express all you want. But there might be a cost associated with it.

The ones not named Quebec is memory serves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if it’s regulation but here our employer pays our normal wage minus the $17/day we are paid for jury duty. Since it deemed not worth the paperwork I double dipped
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
Zero, it's your civic duty.

You would decline the money I assume?

I donate it back to the system each time I am called. It's the right thing to do unless you're an hourly employee missing work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

For the second time today, I agree.

To add, I don't understand why this is so difficult. In California and in the federal courts, and I suspect elsewhere, you can get out of jury duty if it will impost a financial hardship. You might need a letter from your employer or some proof if self-insured that you will lose wages, etc., to establish the inability to service without a financial hardship, but it's not difficult. The vast majority who submit such info upon receipt of a summons get excused without even having to report. For those who can't or don't establish a financial hardship, judges are still very lenient if there's a need to accommodate someone's job.

California law allows an employer who pays an employee when on leave for jury duty to require the employee to turn over any wages received. It's only $15 per day, beginning the second day, so it's not much, but it's also a way of keeping the employee honest. I don't know the mechanics, because I've always waived the jury pay and mileage.

If you want to decrease the likelihood of being called for jury duty, don't register to vote. It's not an absolute guarantee. But in my opinion, if you don't care enough about such a valuable and essential institution, you probably shouldn't be voting either.
Quote Reply
Re: How much should you get paid for Jury Duty [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OakCliffTri wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:

You would decline the money I assume?

I donate it back to the system each time I am called. It's the right thing to do unless you're an hourly employee missing work.

The give you that option here. When you show up, you're provided with an optional form to waive the pay. A good portion of the people do, especially those who are still paid through their work.
Quote Reply

Prev Next