Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoes, wide duck toebox, cinderella feet
Quote | Reply
Looking for help with shoes. I have read the various threads on the topic, and have yet to find a solution.

I have a mid/high arch, normal/narrow heel, and wide toebox (I measure my feet as 275mm long x 107mm width). Standard fit shoes that I have tried are too narrow, and wide shoes are either too high volume or not wide enough. I love the feel of Giro Empires, but they are way too narrow. I couldn't get comfortable in wide Bonts, no matter what I did I felt like my foot was implanted in a brick. The sizing of wide Lakes was pretty good, but I don't love the idea of real leather shoes in Chicago weather, and no matter what I did I couldn't get a good heel hold. Sidi Mega is way too much material.

The best I have found to date are S-Works 6 in wide, but they're not wide enough & still cause a squished toe feeling & discomfort at the widest part of my foot, base of pinky toe.

The only shoes I can think of that I have not tried yet are Shimano. A bit hard, shops don't really carry a broad selection anymore, especially in wide. I am looking for both road & mtb shoes. If anybody has any recommendations or thoughts I'd love to hear it.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes, wide duck toebox, cinderella feet [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grosso27 wrote:
Looking for help with shoes. I have read the various threads on the topic, and have yet to find a solution.

I have a mid/high arch, normal/narrow heel, and wide toebox (I measure my feet as 275mm long x 107mm width). Standard fit shoes that I have tried are too narrow, and wide shoes are either too high volume or not wide enough. I love the feel of Giro Empires, but they are way too narrow. I couldn't get comfortable in wide Bonts, no matter what I did I felt like my foot was implanted in a brick. The sizing of wide Lakes was pretty good, but I don't love the idea of real leather shoes in Chicago weather, and no matter what I did I couldn't get a good heel hold. Sidi Mega is way too much material.

The best I have found to date are S-Works 6 in wide, but they're not wide enough & still cause a squished toe feeling & discomfort at the widest part of my foot, base of pinky toe.

The only shoes I can think of that I have not tried yet are Shimano. A bit hard, shops don't really carry a broad selection anymore, especially in wide. I am looking for both road & mtb shoes. If anybody has any recommendations or thoughts I'd love to hear it.

The option you haven't tried yet is likely exactly what you're looking for. Shimano are wide to begin with, and the wide sizes can handle the widest flippers while still having a secure heel. I have wide-ish feet and got a pair of RC9s in wide and absolutely love them, although I'll probably go with the regular width next time. And there will be a next time, which for a constant comfortable shoe seeker, is saying something. Good retention, comfy, breathe relatively well. Just very well thought out shoes. Hopefully you can find a way to try on a pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got mediumishly wide feet and Pearl Izumis seems to work pretty well. Avoid Sidis at all costs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake Cycling shoes work best for me. I have 6E foot and their wide fits great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grosso27 wrote:
The sizing of wide Lakes was pretty good, but I don't love the idea of real leather shoes in Chicago weather, and no matter what I did I couldn't get a good heel hold.

There is nothing wrong with leather in Chicago weather as long as standard leather oil/proofing is used. I like to use Sno-Seal applied at beginning of season and don't need to treat until next season.

Road salt is the harshest chemical, not water. Shoe covers help protect the shoe as well as your feets.

I live in Chicago, and have the coldest feet in the world. It's June and I was wearing shoe covers this Wednesday (well, it was only 60deg on the lakefront!) Have been using the Lake winter shoes (Rd and Mtb) for over 15yrs, as well as the mid-weight Mx/CX145.

You don't mention what model you tried on, but in regards to heel hold the 332 and 241 models have a moldable heel cup.

Did you try the EU44 Regular or the Wide? Might be interesting to try a 44.5 Regular or Wide depending on the foot volume.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I lived in Chicago and had your feet I'd just pop over to see Anne (who commented on this thread) and have her sort out my shoes for me.

In fact later this summer I'm going to fly into Chicago and have her help me sort some shoes to replace my custom shoes that are on their 3rd president.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply