Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why you need to "quit" ERG mode... [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I started using ERG mode, I've had a considerable decline year-on-year in my performance.

MY ride time increased, specificity increase, but it never really resulted in anything tangible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bkool software can do that, I uploaded a couple of local routes that I used regularly so that I could do them through the winter. I was slightly quicker on the turbo but there wasn't much in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a general remark: I don't understand how people can claim to do ERG workouts and watch netflix at the same time. To me, that means that either the workout isn't hard enough or you're seeing moving pictures but aren't processing them. The only external stimulation that works for me during a proper ERG workout is blaring punk rock at volume levels unacceptable to the rest of my household (and this includes the cat).

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Why you need to "quit" ERG mode... [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
As a general remark: I don't understand how people can claim to do ERG workouts and watch netflix at the same time. To me, that means that either the workout isn't hard enough or you're seeing moving pictures but aren't processing them. The only external stimulation that works for me during a proper ERG workout is blaring punk rock at volume levels unacceptable to the rest of my household (and this includes the cat).
Subtitled French cinema noir? No. But Michael Bay films were made for VO2 max efforts.
Quote Reply
Re: Why you need to "quit" ERG mode... [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that the "ERG MODE" is an excellent tool for shorter intervals, like 8x3' @270w / 2' @200w. It allows you to keep the right wattage, but the time is so short that you are not able to distract yourself with something like Netflix. But for longer intervals, more then 10 or 15 minutes, I like to turn off the erg mode and try to focus on keeping the right power.

RIDE ON!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
I agree with all your points. But I don’t think you have to ride your trainer in ERG mode where it holds a steady power target for you. I’m still doing a fair bit of riding my trainer for time efficiency purposes, but I now ride it in slope mode, leave it set “level 1” and then shift through my gears as I would on the road.

What is really like to figure out how to do, is set the trainer to simulate the slopes of real terrain to make the torque curve / gearing even more realistic, but that’s an post season project.

I am preparing for an alps cycling trip, and as a part of that I have been playing around with the Kickr simulation mode for the first time ever (had one or another for 5 years). I have enjoyed that it gives you back the gearing consideration, so it is nice to get in the little gears, crank the slope up to 7-10% and just see how long i can go without tiring out. It is interesting to watch how your wattage fluctuates at different slope %s. I then have erg mode set at an easy recovery wattage, so when i am ready for a break i just swipe over to erg and relax for a few minutes, then start over.

I have also found that 10-12% on the kickr feels pretty similar to 10-12% out on some of the pitchy little hills in my area.
Last edited by: milkman1982: Jun 26, 19 11:50
Quote Reply
Re: Why you need to "quit" ERG mode... [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. ERG has been a complete game changer for me. I dropped 3 minutes in my sprint tri (first race of the season early this month) due to it.

I agree with the similarity to it being on a treadmill -- but that's not a bad thing. I ran my half and full marathon PR's off of primarily treadmill workouts. It allows you to get in a groove and get use to pacing.

And for me, it applies outside too. I just did a 30 minute effort at 105% FTP on an extended climb (CO) and looking at my 5s, 1 minute and 20 minute power averages I was all +/- 10-15W as I was able to hone in on what the goal wattage felt like. Last year, I would be all over, +/- 40-50W.
Quote Reply

Prev Next