Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Places to swim in Boston, MA
Quote | Reply
I'll be in Boston (staying by the Convention Center in the Seaport district) for work conference next week and trying to find a place where I can get a swim workout in. I would need to go early so should be open by 6am.

I'm a nationwide YMCA member so a Y with a lap pool that is reasonably close to where I'm staying would be ideal, but I'm happy to buy a day pass or two if that's not avaialble.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Places to swim in Boston, MA [dsh2va] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While in Cambridge last year, I bought a day pass to swim at the MIT pool (Alumni/Wang, I think). It was pretty easy to do online and IIRC, the pool was open at 6am.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X2 on MIT pool, excellent facility.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The most nearby place to swim would be open water at castle island, you could jog there, about 1mi. I'm sure that's insanely cold right now though. That's also a good place to run.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boston Athletic Club is right down the street from the convention center. It looks like drop-ins are $25.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ill second the BAC. Its right down the street from you. Only problem is that its 20 yards and only 4 lanes, so check the calendar and make sure there is no family swim time or something. Boston Harbor Hotel also has a 20 yard pool that I used to go to every now and then with other members. Not sure what it takes to get a day pass there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sent you an email with some suggestions.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Places to swim in Boston, MA [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Thanks everyone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're in Boston on Saturday, July 13th, you have the chance to swim between 5 of the Boston Harbor Islands as part of the first ever Boston Harbor Islands SwimRun. 3+ total miles of swimming, 13 miles of running. Race categories include: Solo/Individual and 2-person Team.

Here is a link to the course map: https://www.odysseyswimrun.com/boston/course

In full disclosure, I am the race producer for this event.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: Places to swim in Boston, MA [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VALHALLA wrote:
If you're in Boston on Saturday, July 13th, you have the chance to swim between 5 of the Boston Harbor Islands as part of the first ever Boston Harbor Islands SwimRun. 3+ total miles of swimming, 13 miles of running. Race categories include: Solo/Individual and 2-person Team.

Here is a link to the course map: https://www.odysseyswimrun.com/boston/course

In full disclosure, I am the race producer for this event.

I did not know this event existed, looks pretty cool, could be a fun long training day (expensive, but fun!) ... you don’t have to bring anyone (eg kayaker) if you do the solo? What do you anticipate the water temp to be? What is the method most people use for running with their wetsuit?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Places to swim in Boston, MA [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are working with the Coast Guard, Boston Police and local Harbormasters to close down the Harbor's channels to ensure a completely unobstructed course for racers. We will also have support boats and kayaks out on the course too for additional safety.

The race starts out on Peddocks Island and you swim and run your way to Spectacle, racing towards Boston's skyline. We provide ferry transportation to the start line for all athletes which is included in the entry fee.

As far as the best setup SwimRun athletes use, 100% swim AND run in their wetsuit. Your best bet would be to look into a swimrun specific wetsuit (includes a zipper in the front, lesser grade neoprene in the legs for easier running, etc) but you could get by cutting the legs off one of your traditional triathlon wetsuits. Here is a video from our event in Casco Bay Islands, Maine to give you an idea.

Water temp in Boston Harbor in mid July will likely be mid 60's, ideal for SwimRun!

If you're entering the Solo/Individual race, you'll cover the same course as the 2-person Teams, but you'll need to carry a New Wave Swim Buoy (or similar) with you throughout the race. That will serve as your "teammate".

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drop in masters at BU when in town
Quote Reply
Re: Places to swim in Boston, MA [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Lars-

Thanks for the answers, some more questions though ... are people swimming in their shoes? Where do you get those wetsuits? Would it be completely ridiculous to wear a running backpack to carry a regular wetsuit and the safety buoy then put the backpack and shoes in the buoy to swim? You’d obviously spend a lot of extra time in transition, but probably I wouldn’t be winning the race anyway. Finally, how are people getting back from Spectacle Island, ferry? Is this going to run relatively frequently or will you be on the island a while after finishing?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Last edited by: ericlambi: Jun 21, 19 15:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry if I am thread hijacking, but I'll be in Natick next week visiting family. Is there a good place to swim around there?
Quote Reply
Re: Places to swim in Boston, MA [Spartan_Pat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan_Pat wrote:
Sorry if I am thread hijacking, but I'll be in Natick next week visiting family. Is there a good place to swim around there?

Wayland masters ... $10 drop in

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Places to swim in Boston, MA [Spartan_Pat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you like open water, Lake Cochituate at Wayland Town beach or Farm Pond in Sherborn. Both border Natick. Current water temps about 70F
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bunch of the public outdoor pools are opening this weekend. They are all 42.7 yards long. There is one in the North End and one in Charlestown. They are a blast to swim in. Have to check for hours. There are several Ys with pools. The one in Chinatown and the one near Northeastern are not too far away from where you are staying.

If you don't mind paying, the MIT pool is really nice. BU and Harvard pools are as well.

If you specifically meant open water then you are in luck, you can swim right near where you are staying. If you don't want salt water then you can swim in Mystic Lake (please stay out of Mystic river, it's got a few decades to go before it is fully clean). And of course the triathlete's open water home around here is Walden pond. You'll see triathletes out there most of the swimmable year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The most typical SwimRun set up you will find includes: swimrun specific wetsuit, pull buoy, hand paddles, lightweight trail shoes.

You will find a handful of athletes at each of the major races who race in something other than the standard SwimRun kit: for example, they might carry fins with them.

You can determine the best set up (this is part of the fun and strategy) however I would not recommend using the set up you mentioned in your post. Transitions are really important and traveling through the course as "light" as possible is highly suggested.

Some wetsuits you can check out include: Roka, Blueseventy, Orca and many more. Most wetsuit companies now have a SwimRun specific model.

Hope that helps.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: Places to swim in Boston, MA [sperris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sperris wrote:
A bunch of the public outdoor pools are opening this weekend. They are all 42.7 yards long. There is one in the North End and one in Charlestown.

How did multiple pools end up at that distance?
Quote Reply
Re: Places to swim in Boston, MA [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that they were all built right around the same time and pre-dated pool standardization.

It is too bad because each pool has a separate deep section pool where if they were connected it would be over 50 yards.

I know the Charlestown pool (Clougherty) and the North End pool (Mirabella) are still open. There was another of the same design on the Esplanade but it has been closed and filled in with sand. Someone else may know about other pools with that 125ft length. I’ll ask some old timers. They used to have swim teams and meets between the pools.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rosemary pool, Needham MA. 25 yard outdoor lap pool. Lap swimming 7-9am and 12:30-8pm
Quote Reply
Re: Places to swim in Boston, MA [sperris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, I hadn't thought of it but I'm intrigued by swimming in Walden Pond. What is the water temp like this time of year? Is it doable without a wetsuit (for someone who is not a masochist and has a relatively low body fat %)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dsh2va wrote:
Interesting, I hadn't thought of it but I'm intrigued by swimming in Walden Pond. What is the water temp like this time of year? Is it doable without a wetsuit (for someone who is not a masochist and has a relatively low body fat %)?

I was there just this morning. Temp probably around 70-72, I would not go without a wetsuit. Another 2 weeks and it will be warm enough.

BTW, today park authorities forgot about us and the parking lot gate stays closed till 8am. Usually it opens at 7.

A lot of angry triathletes :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd skip the BAC. Its terrible, i know having swam there for years and not knowing the difference, no I avoid it completely.

Whenever I'm back in town visiting family in the fort point area I go to the BSC on Harrison in the South End has a 25 yard pool, opens at 5 and is usually very quiet in the morning. Its a 10-15 min jog from the convention center so you can get a nice little run there and back. and I'm pretty sure its $15 walk up rate. You might be able to swing a free 'trial pass' as well.

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: Places to swim in Boston, MA [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also a BSC right next to South Station and not far from the convention center. Pool is short though (~22 yds)

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply