Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rainy triathlon - suggestions? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thankfully it is supposed to be close to 80, just scattered storms so the cold weather stuff shouldn't be necessary. *fingers crossed*
Quote Reply
Re: Rainy triathlon - suggestions? [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTFU.

Seriously though, just ride safely. You lose time if you have to pick yourself out of a hedge after sliding out on a corner you took a bit fast for the conditions. And try not to get too cold. I did IM Wales in almost non-stop rain and it was a horrible day, everyone was freezing cold. It was still awesome though.

The rest of it is just like a normal race, and it's the same for everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Rainy triathlon - suggestions? [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
2. Stay upright on the bike.

This^^^^^is the most import suggestion.

And do this by avoiding the painted lines, they are wicked slick - I speak from experience.

Otherwise, it's just water. You'll be fine.

Unless you're a witch.
Quote Reply
Re: Rainy triathlon - suggestions? [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's in an industrial park so lots of long straightaways and wide sweeping turns with several 180 degree turnarounds where you basically need to come to a stop. Good point of the rim brakes, good to keep in mind!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just dont be a p*ssy.

The friction coefficient of the tires/road is going to be so much less so therefore you can go that much faster. Slide/Drift the turns and the corners because it is free speed.

Don't touch the brakes at all

Champ it up buttercup
Quote Reply
Re: Rainy triathlon - suggestions? [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Twinkie, are you on the shitter, driving your van, making breakfast, or (D) all of the above?
Quote Reply
Re: Rainy triathlon - suggestions? [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
Hey Twinkie, are you on the shitter, driving your van, making breakfast, or (D) all of the above?

You know me too well Sir
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should probably buy a new bike. You know, a rain specific bike so your preferred ride doesn't get wet.
Quote Reply
Re: Rainy triathlon - suggestions? [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
Just dont be a p*ssy.

The friction coefficient of the tires/road is going to be so much less so therefore you can go that much faster. Slide/Drift the turns and the corners because it is free speed.

Don't touch the brakes at all

Champ it up buttercup
Will keep this in mind, I did enjoy drifting in Need for Speed so it might be fun to try for real and on a bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Rainy triathlon - suggestions? [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyscarroll wrote:
You should probably buy a new bike. You know, a rain specific bike so your preferred ride doesn't get wet.

FTW

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My fastest triathlons have been in the rain. Big advantages are: cooler weather and lower rolling resistance on the bike (though I suppose aero drag increases due to increase of air density).

Having said that I also did a DNF in the rain because of safety concerns.

I think the number one thing is to play it smart / conservative on the bike - cornering, descending, overtaking.

Everything will fall into place...

Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Rainy triathlon - suggestions? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's supposed to be super-rainy, I also switch back to my aluminum wheels, which tend to stop a bit faster than my all-carbon ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know there are a lot of "be conservative" on the bike tips here, but just to play devil's advocate, I did a tri last September in torrential rain, and knowing that everybody else was going to play it safe, I went aggressive on the bike- I ended up with the fastest bike split in the race, and finished 2nd in my AG to a guy who could just run circles around me.

It was a C race for me towards the end of the season, so if I bit it, oh well... your race may hold more importance for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MBaier wrote:
Thankfully it is supposed to be close to 80, just scattered storms so the cold weather stuff shouldn't be necessary. *fingers crossed*

Any chance this race is Pleasant Prairie in WI?
Quote Reply
Re: Rainy triathlon - suggestions? [Tridude1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tridude1 wrote:
MBaier wrote:

Any chance this race is Pleasant Prairie in WI?
It is!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking like it'll be clear. At least according the Weather Bug. But Weather Channel app says maybe storms until 5. I have like 5 weather apps and they can't seem to be consistent!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Rainy triathlon - suggestions? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Looking like it'll be clear. At least according the Weather Bug. But Weather Channel app says maybe storms until 5. I have like 5 weather apps and they can't seem to be consistent!
Good to know I am not the only one preoccupied with this. Lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m looking at it to see if I’m going to bring wife and daughter! But also to mentally prepare for duathlon if they can’t get any safety people on the water.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next