Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 1000 bucks to spend on a grill [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
So large BGE with stand, bag of charcoal, heat diffuser, delivery and setup is 1250 bucks. Seems a tad pricey so I'm torn

Sell your bike and spend the extra money. I've got a large BGE and love the thing. However, before you use any type of grill you need to read AmazingRibs.com website and learn how to use a dual-probe thermometer to make sure you get your meat to the right temperature.

Since finding that website and applying their advice, the quality of the food on the grill has risen dramatically. No need to buy a $1000 grill if you overcook your meat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
spot wrote:
windywave wrote:
Go

ETA a grill to cook food on, not gold teeth or a truck etc.

Thinking a genesis or a BGE

Why, both of course! Seriously, I have a Genesis and a large BGE. Both are awesome. The BGE is fantastic when you have the time for getting it going; the Genesis is great for basic grilling of burgers and other things like that. The BGE really, really excels at low, slow cooking, and also very high heat cooking, while delivering a fantastic flavor to whatever you’re grilling. The Genesis is awesome at everyday grilling tasks, heats up quick and with the cast aluminum body, will last much longer than those POS all stainless grills that you end up tossing every 3-4 years.

How long does it take to get hot?

The Genesis is smokin' hot in about 10 minutes, ready to go.

The BGE takes a bit more time, but I would argue that meat cooked on the BGE is far superior to that on the gas grill. Essentially, you load the BGE with hardwood charcoal, bury a electric starter in the coal, and let that go for about 7 minutes. When I pull the electric starter, I take a cheap ass blow dryer and aim it right at the coals, getting them as hot as possible. I might do this a couple of times, but I think it's fair to say that I can have my BGE at 600-700 degrees in about 25 minutes.

Quote | Reply
The hair dryer is a good tip. I aim one at the air inlet when I'm in a hurry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lighter fluid is not used in these style grill.

My wife bought me a Weber Genesis in 1997 when we got married. We used that grill multiple times a week every week up to last year when I built a covered patio/ outdoor kitchen area. I installed all Fire Magic equipment and a Primo Oval. I did much better on the Weber. The BGE/Kamado style smoker/grills are fun when you have the time, but it is hard to beat the Weber for overall performance/efficiency/reliability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
So Kamado Joe or the Pit Boss from Costco?
I’d kill KJ all day between those. I think they are more proven.
If you can find a KJ road show near you at Costco you can save quite a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: 1000 bucks to spend on a grill [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used an electric starter when I first got a BGE, but I must have left it in too long as the coil burned out after a few uses. I switched to a chimney and that worked okay. Now, I use the BGE parafin starter cubes and they work well and without the mess. Once it gets going pretty good, I use a hair dryer and it's "Flame On!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
So Kamado Joe or the Pit Boss from Costco?

The kamodos look pretty sweet.
If I were to go charcoal I'd probably get one of those.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply

Prev Next