Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Old P2 Upgrades
Quote | Reply
Hi I am currently running two bikes a Planet X pro carbon and a 2012 P2.

I have saved up some cash and I am looking to upgrade one.

Plan A I was thinking of upgrading the P2 with omega brakes, alpha bars but I also saw some comments of upgrading the fork? Maybe some new wheels too!

Plan B going to one bike a canyon aero road

I mostly do local sprints and oly Tri with the once a year half distance! Hope to do the fill in a couple of years time

Any advice would be great
Quote Reply
Re: Old P2 Upgrades [Bazza172] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take the money you would spend upgrading an old P2 and just buy a new P2. I ride an old P2 and I got tired of pouring money into an old bike.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bazza172 wrote:
Plan A I was thinking of upgrading the P2 with omega brakes, alpha bars but I also saw some comments of upgrading the fork? Maybe some new wheels too!

Definitely upgrade the P2. Top tube cable mod and brakes and bars... you'll be in great shape. The 2012 P2 has a good fork. Might try going low Q also, since you can.

The problem with buying a newer P2 is that you'd still need to upgrade brakes and bars to make it good.

EDIT: Oh and a good front wheel and cover for the rear...
Last edited by: rruff: Jun 19, 19 11:05
Quote Reply
Re: Old P2 Upgrades [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any suggestions on the low Q factor?
Quote Reply
Re: Old P2 Upgrades [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m running a 2013 P2 and have debated the cable mod and swapping out the cockpit. I just haven’t been able to convince myself to do it. The saved watts have to be fairly small, right? I understand swapping the cockpit for improved fit, but assuming a good fit the old T2 wing and profile design extensions aren’t really that bad...are they?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s your goal with the upgrades?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bazza172 wrote:
Any suggestions on the low Q factor?

DA 7400 or 7402 cranks. 103mm square taper JIS BB. 1x. If you need 2x you'll need a wider BB.
Quote Reply
Re: Old P2 Upgrades [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
I’m running a 2013 P2 and have debated the cable mod and swapping out the cockpit. I just haven’t been able to convince myself to do it. The saved watts have to be fairly small, right? I understand swapping the cockpit for improved fit, but assuming a good fit the old T2 wing and profile design extensions aren’t really that bad...are they?

I guestimate you're giving up a good .005m^2 CdA (50cm^2) or ~2% of your total aero drag compared to very good bars with clean able routing. Maybe a little more. No it isn't huge, but then the difference between frames isn't much either. Stuff that hits clean air at the front seems to have the biggest effect. The cable mod will be some additional improvement; at a minimum you can calculate how much cable frontal area you are removing. But even if that didn't help at all, the side entry of cables on the P2 downtube just looks wrong IMO.

I'm not running fancy bars BTW. I'm perpetually testing, and the only bar that makes changes easy is the Alpha 1, which is too pricey for me. I'm running a Syntace carbon basebar (which was crazy cheap on ebay but looks legit) and the Felt Bayonet 3 bar. That's as good as you can get for a clipon. A decent cheap basebar is the Pro aluminum.
Quote Reply
Re: Old P2 Upgrades [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A bit of vanity and performance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Performance-wheels, aero helmet, aerobars etc will get you to 98% (I’m guesstimating here) of the speed of a newer bike

Vanity-get newer bike

Personally, I had a newer P2 and now I’m back to an old P2 fully maximized for aero performance-wheels, etap, Tririg one aerobar, magura brakes etc. with this set up (which will cost around $3k) I have essentially all the speed of a superbike for thousands less
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jun 19, 19 13:08
Quote Reply