Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Iowa 70.3 - By The Accel Group
Quote | Reply
With the recent news of Des Moines not earning a full Ironman allocation ... The Accel Group who puts on The Accel Triathlon is discussing the possibility of launching a 70.3 in Iowa.

We currently put on a sprint and oly distance race but have a desire to further accommodate the tri community if there is interest.

Not sure how many midwest folks are on here but would love to hear your thoughts on this!
Quote Reply
Re: Iowa 70.3 - By The Accel Group [unicat141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Include an Aquabike and I'd be in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would be nice to partner with Pigman to get it back on the race calendar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'm in Cedar Rapids and would probably enter. Since the Pigman folded, there's not been a half in the state.
Add it to the calendar and don't make it part of your OLY and Sprint race..

You might run into some flack from the Wanda group for using 70.3 though..

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely interested!
Quote Reply
Re: Iowa 70.3 - By The Accel Group [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:

I'm in Cedar Rapids and would probably enter. Since the Pigman folded, there's not been a half in the state.
Add it to the calendar and don't make it part of your OLY and Sprint race..

You might run into some flack from the Wanda group for using 70.3 though

I read that as in it would be "IM 70.3 Iowa".......

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am big time on board for this living in cedar falls iowa! I have participated in the accel since its first year. Too bad i have to miss this year as the date is the same weekend of chisago lakes mn 70.3. Exciting news! Hopefully it happens!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Accel tri is a really well-produced race on a super fast course. If you're in the Midwest, this should be on your calendar. (They have the best shirts, too! Wearing one now.)

Now to the question of adding a long: You can't use "70.3", obviously, and maybe that frees you up to think differently. Dan had a post on here awhile back (within the last year maybe?) about the opportunities that exist for independent races to break out of the mold of standard distances (i.e., 5150, 70.3, 140.6). I think it's exciting that you're considering a long race!

If you're ever up for it, reach out and we can meet downtown or on the hill for lunch.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The event needs to be slotted on a date away from USAT triathlon nationals (2nd weekend of August) and 70.3 worlds (2nd weekend of September).

Hy-Vee (Des Moines Tri) struggled with weather regardless of when it was in June or moved to Labor Day weekend...storms, flooding, heat/humidity.

There isn't a lot of 1/2-iron races offered in May in the midwest, which would make it wet-suit legal.

It would be nice if it were USAT-sanctioned and had the capabilities of expanding to host a long-course duathlon, aqua-bike and aqua-thon so that it could host the USAT long-course festival instead of Miami-man!

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply