Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best apparel for commuting to work?
Quote | Reply
Hi, I will start commuting to my job now, it is a casual business dress code, offices, and I do want to look good (looks are important in my office, like it or not). They are very relaxed on this matter, I've seen guys in cargo shorts and trucker hats, but I want to look more professional (not criticizing, just need to look pro)

What is your recommendation for this?

I have access to the gym showers in case I need to shower. I'm 5k or so from the office (3 miles? more or less?)

My current idea is to wear regular sports clothing, carry my office clothes on a backpack and change once I get to the office. Godd idea?

I would love not to change, hence my question for commuter apparel.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Best apparel for commuting to work? [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As much as it pains me to admit this, I just purchased a pair of lululemon pants. They are extremely comfy and probably fit the bill in a business casual office. There are a bunch of other companies that make similar pants, just look for something with a little stretch built in and a Bitcoin more tapered fit. Top it off it’s a polo or button down and you should be good to go.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you mean by commute? Doesn't everyone who doesn't work at home commute to their job?

I commuted this morning and wore what I'm wearing at work, like most people.

That said, I have cycled to work from time to time. It's 10 miles each way. It's mostly downhill on the way to work, so I can get there without working up too much of a sweat. So I just leave a few changes of clothes in the office and change when I get there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarioTB wrote:
Hi, I will start commuting to my job now, it is a casual business dress code, offices, and I do want to look good (looks are important in my office, like it or not). They are very relaxed on this matter, I've seen guys in cargo shorts and trucker hats, but I want to look more professional (not criticizing, just need to look pro)

I have access to the gym showers in case I need to shower. I'm 5k or so from the office (3 miles? more or less?)

My current idea is to wear regular sports clothing, carry my office clothes on a backpack and change once I get to the office. Godd idea?

Thanks!

Um like most people I wear the clothes I'm going to wear in the office to work. Is there something odd about your commute like you do it in a boat on an angry sea?
Quote Reply
Re: Best apparel for commuting to work? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
MarioTB wrote:

Thanks!

Um like most people I wear the clothes I'm going to wear in the office to work. Is there something odd about your commute like you do it in a boat on an angry sea?

Maybe he is in the circus and it is hard to run the pedals with the clown shoes on.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wear regular cycling clothes and throw my stuff in panniers.

I generally take it super easy getting to work so I dont sweat crazy then a quick shower. Generally work harder on the way home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarioTB wrote:

Thanks!

I have been commuting to work by bike for the past 20 odd years. Don't bother with best this or best that. You will just spend money on the "best" crap you don't need. Any bike shorts will do and a shirt. The only "best" I need is a decent/average waterproof jacket, pants and some kind of shoe cover in case you ride in the rain. For the cold, any fleece jacket will do under the aforementioned waterproof jacket. My work clothes go in the backpack that has a waterproof cover. Don't spend too much money on bike commuting stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of my commuting over the years has been either running or cycling to work. Always went with wearing sports gear, then showering and getting changed at the office. Zero net time loss since I shower every morning anyway, just showering at work instead of at home. Much prefer exercising in clothing designed for it, don't want to spend my whole working day in sports kit, and didn't want any risk of being the guy that smells. Even if you're taking it very easy and the weather isn't too hot, having a backpack on means you can easily get a bit of a sweat going on your commute.

Best kit for commuting is whatever's on sale! Don't use high end kit for commuting, you don't need it for short rides, and it takes quite a hammering with all the washing, backpack straps, etc. Plus I prefer a more recreational fit as it freaks my colleagues out less than seeing me in the latest skin tight, aero, super thin performance jersey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
MarioTB wrote:

Thanks!

Lol. Like the Seinfeld episode - “the sea was angry that day, my friend.”

To the OP’s question. At my old firm I wore a tie most days, often a suit. 3 seasons of the year I just wore it in on the commute.

But humid summers, humid-er subway platforms, me with a tendency to sweat like a whore in church...net result was that from Memorial Day to Labor Day I would usually carry my work clothes in a bag and do the commute in shorts and a t shirt, or in some cases bring a suit into the office over the weekend and leave it there if I knew I needed full battle dress the coming week.

It was the difference between arriving a bit warm but able to wash my face and get dressed at work, vs arriving as a wet mess in dress clothes that I’d slimed before 9:00 am.
Quote Reply
Re: Best apparel for commuting to work? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
windywave wrote:
MarioTB wrote:

Thanks!

Maybe he is in the circus and it is hard to run the pedals with the clown shoes on.

This thread really needed to go this way with the vague OP. A circus magician perhaps?
Quote Reply
Re: Best apparel for commuting to work? [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
j p o wrote:
windywave wrote:
MarioTB wrote:

Thanks!

This thread really needed to go this way with the vague OP. A circus magician perhaps?

I did my best.
Quote Reply
Re: Best apparel for commuting to work? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect! thanks for the advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Best apparel for commuting to work? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the comment! this is basically what I will do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL yeah kind of!

Just to add to this, I live in Mexico (Guadalajara) so it can get hot sometimes, more in the afternoons of course, but that I don't mind, since I can just get home and change. I sweat quite a bit, so I don't want to become smelly clown - I mean - smelly guy here.

We're just starting rain season, it will last 3 to 4 months, so that plays a role too.
Quote Reply
Re: Best apparel for commuting to work? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just like this but with a smaller d*ck and more hair on the shoulders. I'm starting to bald a little bit too.

I was not fired because I have a good attitude though... :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarioTB wrote:
LOL yeah kind of!

Just to add to this, I live in Mexico (Guadalajara) so it can get hot sometimes, more in the afternoons of course, but that I don't mind, since I can just get home and change. I sweat quite a bit, so I don't want to become smelly clown - I mean - smelly guy here.

We're just starting rain season, it will last 3 to 4 months, so that plays a role too.

How will you actually be getting to work? Walk car bike drive boat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarioTB wrote:
LOL yeah kind of!

If it gets hot than for sure look at a rear bike rack with panniers. Nothing like a sweaty back when walking into the office. Also if you can, leave your shoes in the office, I leave my under my desk and change when I get in. Shoes take up a majority of the room in your bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike, and if it rains, car. The boat will not go out this season lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Best apparel for commuting to work? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh! never thougth of the shoe thing! thanks!
Quote Reply