Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Group Rides near Redmond, WA
Quote | Reply
I'll be visiting family and looking to rent a road bike for a few days to (hopefully) enjoy some of the great riding in eastern Seattle. Specifically interested in any weekday[/i] group rides that would depart from the Woodinville/Redmond area. Time of day can be flexible, and anything in the 20-50 mile range should be fine.

Aside from group rides, here's a few route options I gathered from a quick search of the forum:
  • Avondale-Novelty Hill to Carnation Valley
  • Sammamish River trail to East lake Sam
  • Out to Issaquah for climbing on Cougar Mountain, Lakemont, etc.
  • 7 Hills of Kirkland
  • Hill Routes near Red Hood Brewery
  • Centennial Trail (depending on day/time)
  • Mercer Island

• Any recommendations on groups for a drop-in or safe routes for a solo ride would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Quote Reply
    Re: Group Rides near Redmond, WA [jonmhicks] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    I live right on English Hill (between Woodinville/Redmond) The routes you have outlined are decent rides, jumping on the trail system gives you pretty endless possibilities without being on the road. Sort of depends on what type of ride you want, trail system is mostly pancake flat. If you are looking for a few good climbs go south on East lake Sammamish and then find your way to Zoo Hill or Montreaux (And go all the way to the towers) (find them here: http://bicycleclimbs.com/.) The 7 Hill route (either the short version or the Century) is also a fun ride with lots of scenery, etc, gets you out of the city/town a bit into the valley (roads still have fresh DH markings, so easy to follow.) If you want a fun day of riding you can head from here on the trail, cross over 520 or i90 and make your way to downtown Seattle, take a ferry (you can ride on for pretty cheap) to Bainbridge, ride around the island on the Chilly Hilly route (it is usually marked so easy to stay on course) then ride the ferry back. Lots of great options around here. PM if you have any questions, etc. I mostly ride solo so can't help with group rides, etc.

Quote | Reply
    I'll add - if you have tires that can handle light gravel, that opens up even more trails to you (Snoqualmie Valley Trail, East Lake Sammamish Pkwy trail, etc.

Generally I'd tell you to stay off the Burke Gilman when the weather is sunny. There are too many little kids, dogs, people biking in big slow groups, etc. The I-90 trail has way less traffic - definitely check that out. It has some moderate climbing, plus from there you can ride around Mercer Island which is a very twisty / fun ride.

Edit: there's also track cycling at the Marymoor Park Velodrome if that interests you (even to spectate). They do Friday night races all summer.

https://velodrome.org/jbmv/calendar/
    Last edited by: spudone: Jun 18, 19 15:21
    Quote Reply
    Re: Group Rides near Redmond, WA [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Thanks for the recommendations. My parents live right next to you in Tuscany. I'll take a look at some of these routes in more detail and PM you with any other questions/thoughts. Thanks!
    Quote Reply
    Re: Group Rides near Redmond, WA [spudone] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    I-90 trail over to Mercer seems like a great option. About how much of the E Lake Sam trail is paved vs. light gravel? I'm probably going to rent from Element cycles - it looks like they have an aluminum BMC Roadmachine 03 which can take some wider tires. Or I'll just go for something a little lighter and attack some hills :)

Thanks for sharing info on the Velodrome - looks awesome. I unfortunately won't still be there Friday night, but maybe we'll go check out the races one other evening that week (and put it on our list for next time).
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Check out the group rides at Cascade Bicycle Club: https://www.cascade.org/calendar
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Look up the Seattle Green Lake Tri group on FB. Lots of friendly people there. Otherwise DM me and I can send you some of my strava routes too.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    jonmhicks wrote:
    About how much of the E Lake Sam trail is paved vs. light gravel?
    The north and south ends are paved, but the middle section is ~7 miles of gravel. Most of it is well packed but there was one section that was deep when I rode it a couple weeks ago. One small path is packed out, but bikes come the other way. It was only for about 30 seconds though, and I was riding on 25 tires. 28s would be perfectly fine.

The Snoqualmie Valley Trail is similar gravel quality. It runs parallel to Hwy 203 for about 30 miles I think. If you want to try that, head south-ish to Fall City, then look for a spot to pick up the trail and head north toward Duvall. Then you get a big climb out of there onto Novelty Hill Road and back into Redmond.

Don't ride on highway 203 - there's no shoulder and a lot of big trucks doing 60+.
    Quote Reply
    Re: Group Rides near Redmond, WA [frosty] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Thanks! I think I'm going to try and make their Wednesday night ride out of Element Cycles.
    Quote Reply
    Re: Group Rides near Redmond, WA [spudone] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    spudone wrote:
    jonmhicks wrote:
    About how much of the E Lake Sam trail is paved vs. light gravel?

The north and south ends are paved, but the middle section is ~7 miles of gravel. Most of it is well packed but there was one section that was deep when I rode it a couple weeks ago. One small path is packed out, but bikes come the other way. It was only for about 30 seconds though, and I was riding on 25 tires. 28s would be perfectly fine.

Or skip the trail and ride on the road. The shoulder is wide much of the way, and from Marymoor to Lake Sammamish Park (and back) is one of the best TT routes in the area.

Mercer Island (East Mercer Way / West Mercer Way) is a nice, curvy 10-mile route without a stop sign or light. Make a U-turn at the end and you can go 20 miles without stopping. There will be paving starting in about a week, but they will keep a lane open.

I would avoid the multi-use paths like Burke-Gilman and Sammamish River Trail for training, especially on weekends.

Here is one possible route hitting some of the good climbs in the Bellevue/Newcastle/Issaquah area.

Redmond Cycling Club might be another option for group rides.
    Quote Reply
    Re: Group Rides near Redmond, WA [mike_w] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Oh look that route climbs Cougar Mt all the way to the antennas. Tee-heee. Definitely type 2 fun. It's fun when it's over.
    Quote Reply