Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Steelhead Water Temp
Quote | Reply
I really hate to be "obsessed with water temperature guy", but Steelhead is looking wetsuit legal. Weather is getting warmer and it can change pretty quickly, but it's going to be cold.

Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead Water Temp [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does that say 51* for St. Joe ?!

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead Water Temp [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Between now and then, it is only a high of 74. Quite a few of the nights are still dropping into the low 50s. I wouldn't expect huge swing in water temp as of right now.

As a local, I think the weatherman has just given up and says rain every day now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water was 61 this morning at Jean Klock Park. Bring your wetsuit. Looks like to air temps will be in the mid 70's for the race. See you all next week! Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't care about temp....looking forward to calm waters so the swim isn't cancelled :D
Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead Water Temp [614_Irondad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will be year number 17 for Steelhead. The swim has ONLY been cancelled twice in 16 years. Seems everyone remembers the two times we did not swim and they forget about the 14 times that Lake Michigan allowed us to swim! Let's hope for a nice day and flat water on June 30th! Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead Water Temp [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Nothing wrong with cooler water. Looks darn near perfect to me.

says the guy that lives in Florida! are you coming up?

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weather is looking good for race day!

78° Hi
RealFeel® 88°
Precipitation 0%

Sunshine; pleasant
Winds from the
WSW
5 mph
Gusts: 15 mph
Last edited by: tomziebart: Jun 23, 19 17:34
Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead Water Temp [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a swimmer on a team those two times! recognize your name, tom, I went to SJHS and swam a few relays back in high school.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead Water Temp [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm........RealFeel 88*.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far things are trending to a great day. Cook plant buoy says 68.5 and South Haven says 66.9. Forecast says hot but no storms. Good luck to those racing. If you need any local knowledge just ask.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water is 67. Swam there today in my wetsuit,
very nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead Water Temp [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom Z put on an awesome race (as usual). Did anyone figure out what the pole in the water with the flag on it was?
Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead Water Temp [SkipS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipS wrote:
Tom Z put on an awesome race (as usual). Did anyone figure out what the pole in the water with the flag on it was?

My dad and I spent about 15min as I was lined up waiting to jump in the water trying to figure out what it was as well. It almost looked like it was on the end of a lift. Sadly, I breathe to the left and didn't get a good look at it on the course.
Quote Reply
Re: Steelhead Water Temp [SkipS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a pine tree that got pushed into the sand during the winter ice on the lake. The swim guys said it was in about 12 ft. of water. Someone put a flag on it last week so boats would not run into it. I've seen lots of logs washed up on the sand after the winter ice, but never one that was stuck into the sand in deep water!

Thanks for coming to Steelhead! Glad you had a good time - Please be sure to fill out the athlete survey that you will receive from Ironman in the next few days!

Z
Quote Reply