Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: HED wheel questions [iSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iS,
6/9. Very good for everything, entirely suitable for every day use. 9/9 or 9/disc is not quite an everyday wheelset. No doubt that deeper is faster, but they're just not everyday wheels - handling in gusty winds is different between a 6 and 9. If racing is your paycheck then you want a 9 front, and maybe a shorter backup for really windy days.
9/disc and you're 'that guy" if you wear them anywhere except in a race. Not that there's anything wrong with that, i've done it but I can play the product testing card.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: HED wheel questions [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andy tetmeyer wrote:
9/disc is not quite an everyday wheelset...9/disc and you're 'that guy" if you wear them anywhere except in a race.
:) I am "that guy." I actually acknowledged this as a that guy purchase when I upgraded to my current 9/disc Black wheelset. They are my only and everyday wheels.

I split time between my TT bike and road bike, but when I am on the TT outside, I look like the full dork. I decided that I will embrace the dork.
Quote Reply
Re: HED wheel questions [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're a braver man than I am. I won't do it every day, but the speed is intoxicating when I - ahem - need to commute on a disc.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: HED wheel questions [iSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m running HED Jet blacks on my 2012 speed concept and they’re great. Tubeless rocks. But the rims are wide. I bought low profile carbon pads and still had to file down the rears.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: HED wheel questions [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
The difference is about 2 watts according to the Aerocoach testing, so maybe 30-40 seconds over an IM and 8 over an Oly. It really depends on if you are likely to encounter situation with high cross-winds and if you have a backup wheel that you can use if conditions really stink. Both the 6 and 9 are going to get moved around in a good cross wind. The 9 is just more movement.

I would think having a 9 and a 4 would be the ultimate combo. The 4 would be really civilized on a windy day and you could run the 9 in the majority of situations. Coming down from Hawi on a 9 could be a near death experience if the winds are really cooking and a 6 would only be a little better.

Yes, and this assumes that you're actually able to stay in aero riding the 9 in gustier winds. Since (in my experience) I'm more likely to frequently come out of aero on the deeper wheel and it's simply more physically and mentally exhausting, I think the real world gains of the deeper wheel are lost.

TBH -- If it were me, I'd order a 4 front (stable in all conditions), 9 rear (for training and disc-illegal courses), and disc rear (for racing). If you have some extra money to burn down the line, add the 9 front for windless days.

I have a full arsenal of Zipp (not HED wheels, but comparable depths) and I find that the 404 and the 808 handle pretty similarly. To really relax on a windy day especially if training in proximity to cars, etc, I need to be on a 303. I actually just got got rid of the 404 wheels because I had no use for them.

I know everyone wants to look badass an ride deep as possible wheels, but I think the aero benefits are overstated and the downside aren't addressed openly enough because no one wants to admit they're a crappy bike hander or have balls of jello.
Quote Reply
Re: HED wheel questions [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK - I think I'll go with the 6 on the front.

It is hard giving up that two minutes (though I get it may not be real). IF (big if) I am to get a Kona slot it will be the last one in my age group and may have to roll a couple of places. Plus I'll have to have a great day. Two minutes sounds like a lot.

I rode my first two IMs on Zipp 808s front and back and that was fine. Taupo can get quite windy though and there was quite a cross-wind this year.

To put it in context, I am also considering changing my ultegra front brake calipers to an Omega Centre-pull system - which I understand to be one of the lower ROI options for speed!
Quote Reply

Prev Next