Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? June 17 edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 17 edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't write goals last week. They would have been a long run, a speedwork session, and to bike. I did a medium long run, not the short intervals I had in mind, and didn't bike. On Saturday I ran a local 5k and was 3rd FOV in 24:20, which netted $75 in prize money (it's sponsored by an accounting firm). :-) glad I showed up... totals were 5 swims (7725 yds) and 7 runs (53.5 mi).

The lifeguard gig that was supposed to be Fri got postponed til this AM, and it was fun :-) guarded for a school group. They were really good and swam the whole 2+ hrs despite cold water/air. Never underestimate how long kids can stay in the water.

goals for this week: use healthy coping skills, 1 workout w/ shorter intervals, 1 long run, ride at least twice (one done ;-)

Hope everyone is well.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all!

TC-congrats on the win! Hope you treat yourself with the $75!

I retooled my plan last week to focus on biking and running speedwork, and it already paid off with some impressive long workouts over the weekend. This week I have: 2 strength, 3 swims, 3 bikes, and 4 runs (one just a short brick). I might again reduce the swims to 2 and do an extra bike workout. I'm taking the speed workouts as the most important at the moment.

Also, ladies, I just wanted to thank y'all for your support after my admirable accomplishment at finishing an Olympic tri, if it was unexpectedly slow. My shower thought for the week has been that every so often these past few months, something has come up that makes me a little nervous doing this--I'm slow, or I fall off my bike, or something about my plan seems impossible. You have been great at gently encouraging me, without being unrealistic. So, thanks for everything.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woo! Congratulations Dr. TC and thanks for getting us started.

Despite the travel, I had a solid beginning of my week -- 3 swims, 3 bike, and 4 runs.
Unfortunately on Saturday, I was bit my a loose dog while running in a rural area. I'm okay but I had to go to the urgent care, file a police report, etc. It's a mess and my foot/ankle/calf are too swollen and tender to train right now.

Such a bummer. I'm hoping it'll just be a few days and I can get back down to business.

I'm traveling this week and in a wedding this weekend so I will just sorta play things by ear.

Hope everyone has a great week.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello tri forum women of the internet- I've lurked and now I'm posting. My name is Mimosa- I have finished one little sprint tri (Mighty North Fork Sprint on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, super fun, perfect first race) and am ambitiously registered for the HITS Olympic distance on July 13 in upstate NY, and the goal that's really driving me, for the Old Orchard Beach 70.3 August 25 in Maine. I am calling it the "zero to three plan". Just kidding, I'm not calling it anything except a humbling adventure. I have only really been swimming for about 6 months, and as per the bike, well, that's even newer, let's call it 3 months. (To be fair, I knew how not to drown and I "knew" how to ride a bike but not with any precision, handling, real skill, or effort.). The reason a half IM spiked my interest is twofold- why not try it AND I have run (slowly) many half marathons, so I thought, well, I know I can ALWAYS finish a half isolated, how about after 57.2 miles of other stuff? Other stuff that is COMPLETELY NEW TO ME. --- Intro aside, I love these weekly how ya doing posts and my week was physically pretty decent, mentally a slog, frustrating at times...I was 80% ish compliant with my training plan, but only one outside ride (meant to do three, and one was bike in trainer while the other was on my "fake bike", the Peloton, don't laugh, it's great for fitness even if it does nothing for handling)- was on target for my swims in the pool and had taken an open water clinic out on Coney Island with Empire Tri Club. Running was spotty due to low levels of childcare. I substituted jumping rope for one transition run. Yes, I am so creative :). The weekend was positively euphoric- we got to visit friends out on Long Island and the hubs and I both got long rides and I got in both my transition run and an isolated 8 mile run with sustained tempo intervals. Nevermind I took the first interval and a half to remember WTF my tempo pace is (I confuse it with what my VO2 pace feels like and my HR just goes high, like, super-high.)-- I will say that the flat roads next to the beach were stunning to ride on and run on and how kind they have a port a potty at most of the beaches. In no other way are the beaches people and neighbor and visitor "friendly"- permits and the like are required, BUT, as a runner who ALWAYS has to stop if I'm not running fasted, I sure appreciate a loo open to the public. It was also reassuring that I was able to run that 90 minutes without eating or drinking- THAT IS NOT A THING I WOULD DO IN A RACE, but I gave my fuel belt away a long time ago, hate carrying anything in my hands, and just needed to know that I started the run well-hydrated. Any later in the year, or in the actual summer, I would not be running after 9am or so, and I would definitely plan water stops. I mentioned the week prior was kind of a mental slog- I have been wrestling with anxiety and feeling overwhelmed (clutter, admin, errands, aging parent, amazing and demanding children who are already done with school for the year- WHY NY INDEPENDENT SCHOOLS, WHY, WHY SO SHORT A YEAR??)-- Anyway, HIIIII, best to all and if you've stuck around for this whole post you should get an award
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 17 edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Unfortunately on Saturday, I was bit my a loose dog while running in a rural area. I'm okay but I had to go to the urgent care, file a police report, etc. It's a mess and my foot/ankle/calf are too swollen and tender to train right now.

Such a bummer. I'm hoping it'll just be a few days and I can get back down to business.

I'm traveling this week and in a wedding this weekend so I will just sorta play things by ear.

Oh no! I'm so sorry. I hope you heal quickly.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 17 edition [YoMoGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
welcome! I'm from Maine, but I haven't done that race. I have heard good things.
Jump roping is great for bone density!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started Dr TC - congrats on the podium and I hope you do something fun with the $75!
SoCal - so sorry to hear about the incident with the dog; sending healing vibes your way.
GiantNewb - great work adjusting your plan to tackle your weaknesses. It's so easy to just keep doing what we already do well and ignore the hard stuff.
Mimosa - welcome!

My plan for last week was to kick my 2015 butt at the Olympic distance. And I did that with a massive 25 minute PR! (Yes, I am that slow LOL) Once we pre-drove the course I knew I wouldn't be hitting my secret time goal - the road surface was TERRIBLE for a lot of it , there was way more elevation than around where I live and all the downhills ended in sharp turns. I was anxious the night before and morning of because a practice swim wasn't offered so there was only a short time in the morning to get used to the lake (my nemesis). It all turned out fine; I crossed the finish line smiling and not for the usual reason of being glad to finally be at the end.

This week I start my final 8 week block leading up to my 70.3. I'm feeling really buoyed by my race which is good because the previous two weeks felt like a bit of a slog. The plan: 3 x swim, 4 x bike (one will be an FTP test), 4 x run, 2 x strength.

I also have some goals for the 8 week block that I'm mentioning here for accountability (and in case anyone else wants to join in). I looked back at last year's training diaries and basically once summer hit I was all about the g&t/rose/pimms/ice-cream. I'm seeing the signs of a similar decline this year so I'm aiming for: teetotal for the next 8 weeks (except for some celebration champagne when my grandmother comes to stay with us) and ice-cream as an occasional, not a nightly occurrence. Wish me luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HIIIIIIIIIII Ladies!

Scheherazade- Congrats on your EPIC PR!!! That is amazing. If you need an accountabilibuddy, you know where to find me ;)

Mimosa- Welcome! And hey there OOB 70.3 buddy! I'll be there too, and I'm freaking PUMPED. My husband is from Portland (I stole him from Maine about a decade ago), and I LOVE riding and running up there. Can't wait!

SoCal- I'm sorry about your dog incident, that sucks. If it starts feeling really warm and starts changing in appearance, or if you start feeling under the weather, go to the ER pretty much IMMEDIATELY. It may be infected from some nasty bacteria that lives commensally in the dog's mouth.

So, I'm baaaack! What an epic two weeks. While I didn't get to swim in the Kitsilano pool because of their LAME hours, I DID pretty much everything else I've ever wanted to do. Ride a spin bike while watching dolphins and orcas playing? Check. Rock climb up a rockface overlooking volcanoes? Check. Kayak to a glacier with harbor seals? Check. Hike until my legs wanted to fall off? More check. Run along a gorgeous and remote road in Alaska? Check and check. Also, eat like a hippo for two solid weeks? Check and ugh. This week back is going to SUUUCK.
ps- if anyone wants to see some pictures from the adventure, I have them up on IG, same user name without the underscore.

Goal for the week: Snap back to reality.
M- rest (nailed it, LONG travel day)
Tu- 2200yd swim, 60min run. I also have a meeting at the National Press Club tonight, and I am scared of falling asleep mid-sentence.
W- Team track at 5am (I'm gonna die), and functional conditioning
Th- 75min Zwift and strength
F- 2400yd swim and core
Sa- 90min run with prehab
Su- 50mi ride and 10min run brick

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Last edited by: Dr_Cupcake: Jun 18, 19 8:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I didn't write goals last week. They would have been a long run, a speedwork session, and to bike. I did a medium long run, not the short intervals I had in mind, and didn't bike. On Saturday I ran a local 5k and was 3rd FOV in 24:20, which netted $75 in prize money (it's sponsored by an accounting firm). :-) glad I showed up... totals were 5 swims (7725 yds) and 7 runs (53.5 mi).

Um, every 5k needs to be sponsored by an accounting firm! That's awesome, congrats!!!

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 17 edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huzzah OOB 70.3 Dr_Cupcake! I am really very excited about it. My husband and my inlaws and even my little turkeys (almost 8 and almost 5) will be up for it. We have the world's tiniest 2 br airbnb rental about 750 feet from race start, and we check in Friday. I'll figure out a way to exchange emails or cell if that's appealing to you. It will be my third event and certainly biggest yet :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dr. Tigerchik, Scheherazade, and Dr. Cupcake -- they took full precautions at the Urgent Care since the owner wasn't around and they didn't know the dogs history or vaccinations. This week, I have am on antibiotics and been careful about keeping the punctures clean. I have some bad bruising, a tender cankle, and the blood has pooled into my foot -- all of which is going to look super hot with my bridesmaids dress this weekend :face_palm:

Unfortunately, the paperwork and follow-up has turned into a bit of a mess. The dog is in quarantine but I'm the second person this dog has bitten in six months so Animal Control wants to force the owner to surrender. I feel awful about that part-- I'm a big dog lover and like to think there are no bad dogs, just irresponsible owners.

On the bright side, hopefully this means my annual medical emergency is handled for the year.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second and third all the best wishes for a smooth recovery. I am sorry that happened to you and also completely understand your mixed feelings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey SoCal,

Sorry I'm late to this, but I'm so sorry you got bit by a dog!!!! I've been on both sides of that--had a dog with a biting problem and was bit by a dog. For the former, my dog was a rescue and so I didn't know his history. I don't necessarily blame his former owner for it--his biting might have been the reason he was given up in the first place. It's a chicken and egg issue. But, he was also a basset hound, one of the least intelligent and least trainable breeds. Despite pouring a lot of resources into trying to teach him not to bite, he did not learn. When it became clear that I couldn't handle him, other more experienced dog owners stepped in and took him. After the second time that he sent someone to the hospital, they made the hard decision. Multiple people did everything to try to save the dog, and we just couldn't. I know that folks who love dogs want to think that we can save them all, but much as we might love them, we cannot always teach them.

I was also bitten once, by a Newfoundland, of all things, in a local park. That was a whole thing too, between doctor's visits and dealing with the legal aftermath of the bite. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Are you getting the rabies vaccine? One silver lining: you can hang out with more wildlife--raccoon party anyone?

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply